Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Senior Moment

Hardwired Surge Protector

Ok, I have decided to go with the Progressive Ind. 50amp hardwired surge protector, They have two options, one with remote display and one without, For those of you who have one, what would the pros and cons of each be. Price is not much different so not the main factor. I just need to protect the electronics onboard.

Randy
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

It all depends on where you're going to mount it. If you will mount it where you can read a display built into the top of the unit, them you don't need a remote display. If you have to mount it where it's not accessible then you do need the remote display. In case it's not obvious, your AC power wire has to run thru the unit so the location of that wiring has a big effect on where you can mount it.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #3

BTW, I found the best price (and delivery from stock) at Amazon.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
It all depends on where you're going to mount it. If you will mount it where you can read a display built into the top of the unit, them you don't need a remote display. If you have to mount it where it's not accessible then you do need the remote display. In case it's not obvious, your AC power wire has to run thru the unit so the location of that wiring has a big effect on where you can mount it.
I will be picking up my new Rockwood 8289ws in Ohio middle of march. I was hoping to take the surge protector and have the dealer install when I pick up. So I don't know where it will need to be installed. I guess the remote display would make more sense in my situation. And yes amazon is where I'm looking.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have a hard-wired Progressive Industries 30A in our Rockwood 8280WS with the remote display. I mounted the remote were I could easily see as I use it monitor current draw. It's saved lots of trips for that reason. Perhaps with 50A, you'll not have to monitor as closely.

For interest's sake, is your 8289WS with the Diamond package that you're able to order it with the 50A service? Does it also have the pre-wire or 2nd A/C in the bedroom?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I have a hard-wired Progressive Industries 30A in our Rockwood 8280WS with the remote display. I mounted the remote were I could easily see as I use it monitor current draw. It's saved lots of trips for that reason. Perhaps with 50A, you'll not have to monitor as closely.

For interest's sake, is your 8289WS with the Diamond package that you're able to order it with the 50A service? Does it also have the pre-wire or 2nd A/C in the bedroom?

Dave
Yes I did order the Diamond Pkg, Also ordered with the second a/c in bedroom as we live and camp in Texas that was a priority. Also added the slide awnings, and Television in bedroom. We are so excited after coming from a t.trailer with one slide and very little room.