Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #1

having some issues

Every time I plug my RV in to my house it blows my breaker, I have nothing on in the RV just using the plug to keep the batteries charged... I did not realize the RV was blowing the breaker its an outside plug so now I have to start the RV wait a few minutes until I can start the generator, but once I start the generator if I turn the engine off the generator cuts off.. Any Ideas of why this is happening?

Also where my electrical hoop up is for the park there is a wire with a plug on it and house wall plug but I have no idea what it goes to... does anyone know?

thanks
jmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
llr

Please provide more details, you list several items but not enough details for me.
For the 1st item, what breaker is tripping? If the house breaker what else turns off in the house? Are you sure everything is off in the camper? Thins like the water heater is easy to miss
You can try turning off all the AC breakers in the RV panel then turn on one at a time
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #3

What rv do you have, what charger (amp rating of charger is important), what size is the breaker that trips, how long and what size is the power cord you're plugging into the outlet?
Let's just assume you have a 150 Amp charger in the rv (unlikely) that alone could overload a 15 Amp 120 circuit...
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #4

I have a 2011 Forrest River Berkshire 39Foot Bunk House it is the house breaker that is tripping, there is nothing else on this breaker...everything is off in the RV the house breaker is 20amps, I have a 50Amp System in the RV 4X6Volt Battery bank for coach and 2X12 battery bank for engine...and a 1000 inverter
Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Is the breaker that is tripping a GFCI breaker. If so Try connecting to another non GFCI breaker in the house. Some times connecting GFCI breakers in series will trip the house GFCI.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

I can try that is I can find a non GFI plug in the house...
Old 08-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #7

As for the house? Outside plug so I assume it is GFCI protected. If so that is your problem. GFCIs dont play nice with RVs.
Sounds like you have a manual transfer switch. Meaning you plug the shore power cord into either the generator or shore power.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

No... I have a 50amp plug that goes to shore but I also have a standard house plug in the same place with its owns place to plug it I am just not sure what it runs
Old 08-21-2017, 01:39 AM   #9

There seem to be three different issues here:

- Plugging the 50A RV power cable into the house outlet trips the breaker.
If I read this correctly the house side is on a 20A breaker. Now you may have turned off a lot of things but the converter will still kick in charging the batteries, possibly causing a current surge when being plugged in. Plus, there are probably a number of other 'parasitic' current drains in a big motorhome. There might also be issues on the house wiring side. Little known fact: Typical US household wiring is only rated for 80% of max continuous load.

- There is an unidentified standard 16A plug on the RV side
The plug could be for the engine block heater.

- The generator does not run when the main engine isn't running.
No idea on the generator. It should start and run with the chassis engine off.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote