Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

help help help toy hauler garage lights not working

new to the site so looking for help. 2005 All American Sport 28' toy hauler travel trailer. Yesterday my flourescent garage lights just stopped working. checked all breakers, checked the switch, GFCI seems to be working as advertised.

whole garage runs off 20 amp fuse in the converter box that is fine. rear flood lights, vent fan, and yellow light (three other switches from the four) are all working fine. I have 12 volts at the switch, I checked continuity at the switch and the switch is fine. Removed light fixture and only have 1 volt at the wires. I'm a Navy Aviation Electrician by trade so I at least have a knowledge of how to check components with a multimeter but I have a feeling I'm probably missing something simple but I need help on this. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
gsxrider80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

Try checking voltage between the hot wire to the light(s) and a known good ground. Anything 110vAC circuit in any trailer (IMO) does not get a good ground by using screws into the framework of the trailer. I had problems with the factory installed 110vAC LED lighting in my cargo trailer until I took the time to run a dedicated ground all the way from the 110vAC circuit terminal strip which was supplied straight from the battery.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

Thurman,
For the most part it just seems like a ground isn't there.

I guess I should be checking for AC voltage instead of DC voltage then? I didn't even think that the bulbs are 110 VAC. the 3 other switches for garage control I believe are all utilizing 12 VDC, so as long as I go back to an individual light fixture and it has 110 VAC at the light itself then that would lead me to believe that the fixture is bad. unfortunately all three light fixtures aren't working, that is definitely leading me to a ground wire but I have no idea where the ground wire is actually attached. And we're currently living out of it so the trailer isn't moving around... I'm at a loss here
Old 05-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #4

Well after some hard pulling on wiring and removing of wall pieces. I found a broken wire about 1.5 feet above the switch before the first light. Insulation was gone and corrosion had eaten away at the wiring. Now I finally have all my lights back in the garage.

Tags
light, toy hauler