Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,995
Help! How do I remove this clip/retainer?

I was going to swap out my RV 7-prong connector cord and my breakaway switch but I found these at the junction box.

Is there a way to release them so they can be re-used? Is there something better I could use in their place?

I tried to pry out on the tabs that secure them and it's a no-go. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190702_193514.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	208777
__________________

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,995
I found 'em online.. looks like it is a Halex connector.

Halex 27516 NON-METALLIC PLASTIC CABLE CONNECTOR 5/BAG 3/4" Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00310T3BI..._Ka.gDbW24504R

Not seeing a way to remove them from the photos.

Anyone?
__________________

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,269
You can remove them from the knockout by applying pressure to the inside lock tabs with a screwdriver, However, it's a locked wedge fit around the wire and generally requires cutting the wire. If you're careful you could probably use a tiny tim type hacksaw and cut the nylon connector. If you're replacing the 7 pin pigtail I would just let it go and put a new connector on the new pigtail.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You can remove them from the knockout by applying pressure to the inside lock tabs with a screwdriver, However, it's a locked wedge fit around the wire and generally requires cutting the wire. If you're careful you could probably use a tiny tim type hacksaw and cut the nylon connector. If you're replacing the 7 pin pigtail I would just let it go and put a new connector on the new pigtail.
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid a trip to the hardware store.

Some of the wiring is short already that goes through there and will need to be re-used. Especially some of the wires in the top one.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Retired
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Mexico NY
Posts: 3
You can remove the connector by placing a pair of channel locks on the two tabs that are just inside the junction box and squeezeing as you push the connector back out past tabs. It may then be reused
billymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,821
The link that matman posted shows a good picture of the little tab that billymc mentioned. There's one on each side. You can see that you need to press both of them in and then slide the connector back out of the box.

You can pry them in one at a time and rock the connector to free them from the hole, but that's usually more work.

__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I was going to swap out my RV 7-prong connector cord and my breakaway switch but I found these at the junction box.

Is there a way to release them so they can be re-used? Is there something better I could use in their place?

I tried to pry out on the tabs that secure them and it's a no-go. Attachment 208777
These are Halex snap-in connectors. In use, they're snapped into the hole, the wire inserted, and the rectangular tab (toward the bottom in the picture) is crimped down with channel locks. To remove the wire. I generally get hold of the tab perpendicular to the cable, using a large pair of diagonal cutters. Other kinds of pliers may well work, as it is a "brute force" operation.

As a replacement, a 3/4" romex type clamp would work well, or one of the high dollar dome nut cable strain reliefs, which are also waterproof, for what that is worth.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymc View Post
You can remove the connector by placing a pair of channel locks on the two tabs that are just inside the junction box and squeezeing as you push the connector back out past tabs. It may then be reused
Will that tab in the middle pop out when I do that? How do I release the cable?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
These are Halex snap-in connectors. In use, they're snapped into the hole, the wire inserted, and the rectangular tab (toward the bottom in the picture) is crimped down with channel locks. To remove the wire. I generally get hold of the tab perpendicular to the cable, using a large pair of diagonal cutters. Other kinds of pliers may well work, as it is a "brute force" operation.



As a replacement, a 3/4" romex type clamp would work well, or one of the high dollar dome nut cable strain reliefs, which are also waterproof, for what that is worth.
I'll give it another try. Thank you.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,995
Well I couldn't get the push-down wire clamps out so I just replaced them with metal connectors.

Those things are a real pain!

Thanks guys for your help.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #11
Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Western PA
Posts: 667
For future reference, a smaller pair of channel locks usually work well to remove those.
__________________
Cut it 3 times and it's still too short...

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,186
My previous Roo had those plastic cable connectors in the power centre and I could get it out the back of the power centre but I had to destroy it to get the wire out of it. I was installing a PI hard wired EMS. Thankfully, the factory used metal clamps in our new 5er
__________________

__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.


×