Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #1

Help in Upgrading Batteries 2022 Flagstaff E-pro 20 BHS

Hi All,

I have a E-Pro 20 BHS on order and the dealer doesn't include batteries, which means I get to source my own, I am sold on Lithium for the long term hassle free maintenance aspect.

The unit comes with the following:
-190 Watt Roof Mount Solar Panel w/ 1000 Watt Inverter
- 12v Fridge
- Microwave Convection Oven
- 13,500 btu AC unit

My goal is to be able to boondock with the family for 4-5 days if possible, while being mindful of usage. I plan on putting the batteries in the battery box on tongue and either buy a warmer or a unit with a warming function, although the chance of spending any real time in freezing temps is not likely. More likely a cold night up in the mountains in fall or something.

I am looking at the following batteries, I would like to put 2 batteries together:

- 2x Renogy 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Self-Heating Function (on sale for Prime day) $750
- 2x Lion Safari UT1300 12V 105Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery $850 w/ discount

I am open to other brands or configurations this is just what I have seen so far. I am kind of handy, but by no means a whiz with electrical.

Questions:
- How would you build this out?
- Is my inverter adequate?
- Can these batteries be installed together?
- Am I missing something?
- I live in UT so lots of sun and have the option to add an additional portable panel via a plug on the side of the camper, figured I could always add 200V in the future if need be.

Thank you in advance for all your help, I am learning as I go, but willing to invest now to make it something I don't need to worry about in the future.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

With the 12v refer I would be looking at a small generator and additional solar panels.
You will not be running the air conditioner off the batteries at all and the microwave will be a huge power draw.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #3

The heart of any boondocking system is the battery bank. You need to make money while the sun shines so to speak. So I would buy as much battery as I could.

I just added another 100 AH battery from reBEL battery out of Austin TX. and paid 570 dollars for it (actually, that may have been 539 dollars, not sure). It has cold temperature automatic charging shutoff so there is no fear of damaging the battery by charging it below 32 degrees. It has a good BMS with all the protections that your two preferences have.

So far the battery has performed flawlessly. It has a built in BT shunt that sends all sorts of data to your smart phone.

IMO, a boondocking RV needs 400 watts minimum of solar power. A DC-DC charger works as a good backup for those 2-4 day of rain and overcast skies.

A 1000 watt inverter will give you a lot, but a larger inverter would give you more. However, an inverter is only as good as the battery bank. Sizing your system proportionally is very important.
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_the_Cat View Post
Hi All,

I have a E-Pro 20 BHS on order and the dealer doesn't include batteries, which means I get to source my own, I am sold on Lithium for the long term hassle free maintenance aspect.

- 12v Fridge
- 13,500 btu AC unit

My goal is to be able to boondock with the family for 4-5 days if possible, while being mindful of usage. I plan on putting the batteries in the battery box on tongue and either buy a warmer or a unit with a warming function, although the chance of spending any real time in freezing temps is not likely. More likely a cold night up in the mountains in fall or something.

I am looking at the following batteries, I would like to put 2 batteries together:

- 2x Renogy 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Self-Heating Function (on sale for Prime day) $750
- 2x Lion Safari UT1300 12V 105Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery $850 w/ discount

I am open to other brands or configurations this is just what I have seen so far. I am kind of handy, but by no means a whiz with electrical.

Questions:
- I live in UT so lots of sun and have the option to add an additional portable panel via a plug on the side of the camper, figured I could always add 200V in the future if need be.

Thank you in advance for all your help, I am learning as I go, but willing to invest now to make it something I don't need to worry about in the future.
I’m curious what lithium batteries did you get? Also where did you place them? I’m looking to do the same. 2021 GeoPro 19BH
BigAl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:13 PM   #5

http://https://www.renogy.com/12v-100ah-smart-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery/?gclid=CjwKCAjw9aiIBhA1EiwAJ_GTSqPeffa1dYeVm5n51EC KEbVUpWl7xI9TNuLENaJnJiyfpVF7SJ6cURoCt6wQAvD_BwE

They were on sale. Lion energy just had some on sale at Costco
Old 08-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_the_Cat View Post
Hi All,

- 12v Fridge
- 13,500 btu AC unit

Questions:

One relatively economical, and effective, solution to heat for the batteries in freezing weather is to purchase a couple of 12 volt water/holding tank heat pads. For a pair of batteries a pair of 7-1/4" X 25" pads will wrap the perimeter the batteries and cost $63 on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Facon-Holdi...s%2C246&sr=8-1

These pads provide low density heat to merely keep the batteries above freezing and have built in auto thermostats that turn them on at 45 degrees F and off around 68 degrees F.

Each pad draws 6-7 amp when on but they only need to be on when getting ready to charge the batteries if close to freezing.

If for any reason the LiFePo4 batteries are too cold to charge the internal BMS will prevent any current from entering the battery (at least this is true for my Battleborn batteries and should be for others) so if you don't turn the heating pads on early enough to warm them, never fear, the charging device will power the pads after they're turned on and charging won't actually commence until the BMS senses the batteries are warm enough.

These pads are similar to ones sold by Battleborn before they incorporated heat into some of their models. <70 is an easy solution.

Another approach would be to merely install the batteries inside where they receive interior heat. LiFePo4 batteries can be installed under beds, in bottom of a closet, or just about any out of the way unused space. Once installed they require ZERO maintenance just like the battery in one's cell phone, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #7

Thanks. Where did you install your batteries?
Old 08-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
One relatively economical, and effective, solution to heat for the batteries in freezing weather is to purchase a couple of 12 volt water/holding tank heat pads. For a pair of batteries a pair of 7-1/4" X 25" pads will wrap the perimeter the batteries and cost $63 on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Facon-Holdi...s%2C246&sr=8-1

These pads provide low density heat to merely keep the batteries above freezing and have built in auto thermostats that turn them on at 45 degrees F and off around 68 degrees F.

Each pad draws 6-7 amp when on but they only need to be on when getting ready to charge the batteries if close to freezing.

If for any reason the LiFePo4 batteries are too cold to charge the internal BMS will prevent any current from entering the battery (at least this is true for my Battleborn batteries and should be for others) so if you don't turn the heating pads on early enough to warm them, never fear, the charging device will power the pads after they're turned on and charging won't actually commence until the BMS senses the batteries are warm enough.

These pads are similar to ones sold by Battleborn before they incorporated heat into some of their models. <70 is an easy solution.

Another approach would be to merely install the batteries inside where they receive interior heat. LiFePo4 batteries can be installed under beds, in bottom of a closet, or just about any out of the way unused space. Once installed they require ZERO maintenance just like the battery in one's cell phone, etc.
I’d like to put 2 100AH LiPO4 batteries in the factory battery box. BUT, the factory box is group 24 size, and the above lithium batteries are group 31. It doesn’t seem like it will work. Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #9

People are having great things to say about these. With an electric fridge, I would consider nothing less. Also, I would see about adding at least another 190 panel on the roof and a couple 100 watt ground deploy panels on their own mppt controller. https://www.amazon.com/CHINS-LiFePO4...35315637&psc=1

Tags
batteries, flagstaff