Old 03-31-2019, 03:35 PM   #1

Help needed with ceiling lights

Hello.
I have a 2014 Cedar Creek Silverback. I have 8 led ceiling lights in the main living area all controlled by the same switch near the entryway . 4 over the kitchen area come on fine. The 4 over the couch/tv area donít. I found that the 4 that work are wired with blue and white wires. The four that donít are orange and white. (Iíd think theyíd all be color coded the same but.) Iíve done everything I can think of to troubleshoot. The lights that donít come on are good lights as Iíve taken one out and tested it. Other 3 should be fine. The circuit with those 4 is seemingly dead. However they are not on a separate circuit. They should be connected to the front 4 which light fine. Asking today if anyone has had a similar problem and if you found a solution

Thanks
Mike
Mrees72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #2

This is just a guess.....

Are you certain that there is not another switch inside the trailer that's controlling the other four lights?
Old 03-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #3

Pull the last fixture in the working line. Look for loose connections and any wire color change. If nothing there go to the first non working light and have a look. Keep the wire colors in mind and think about it as you trouble shoot. Pull the switch and see if the two colors are there.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
This is just a guess.....

Are you certain that there is not another switch inside the trailer that's controlling the other four lights?
Man I wish there was another switch. It appears that there would be one. And I looked more than once. But there’s not one.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Pull the last fixture in the working line. Look for loose connections and any wire color change. If nothing there go to the first non working light and have a look. Keep the wire colors in mind and think about it as you trouble shoot. Pull the switch and see if the two colors are there.
Thank you for the reply. I have previously done what you recommended. All lights do drop out and I can see connections. I have crimped and recrimped all. It appears to me that orange wire for the back 4 lights must connect with blue inside my ceiling and is not easily accessible without dropping a ceiling panel. Which at this point I won’t do. I’ve even tried fishing a wire from the last working light to the first non-working light but I can’t get thru all 3 trusses. If I could get thru I could just tie in there and cap off non-working wires. In the end I don’t need these lights but I want it to work correctly.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

Lights

Is TT new to you? Are they dome lights? If so, once you turn them on you can individually turn them on and off by pushing up on the lens on mine. Just a suggestion.
imscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imscott View Post
Is TT new to you? Are they dome lights? If so, once you turn them on you can individually turn them on and off by pushing up on the lens on mine. Just a suggestion.
Somewhat new. Ive had it 6 months. These lights are small puck lights....with circuit boards....not bulbs. The are not push in type......

I have found some small leds that stick on and are remote operated. I will see if this idea will suffice.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #8

The blue/white pair and orange/white pair indicate you have two circuits. White would be the common wire, The blue and orange wires would go to separate switches. Have you checked your main panel, the one for the furnace, AC functions, and the slide. That's where I found our mystery switch. If you have a on/off switch just inside your entry that allows you to turn on interior lights before entering, there may also be a 3-way controlling it on the common switch panel as-well. This had me baffled until I started pushing buttons to see what happens.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #9

I have a 2014 silverback... Model 31RK... if you also have a 31RK, perhaps I can help.
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The blue/white pair and orange/white pair indicate you have two circuits. White would be the common wire, The blue and orange wires would go to separate switches. Have you checked your main panel, the one for the furnace, AC functions, and the slide. That's where I found our mystery switch. If you have a on/off switch just inside your entry that allows you to turn on interior lights before entering, there may also be a 3-way controlling it on the common switch panel as-well. This had me baffled until I started pushing buttons to see what happens.
Hi
I agree...it appears to be two circuits....ala the different colors.
I will look again and some more but I think they are all on the one switch as you enter. Its located near the sink. I did verify previously that the white is common...yes. I will look again.

As I recall, at first I had the farthest two lights off. I told myself, ..ah, wait til tomorrow to check it out. I went out the next day and two more lights were off..........Now....who the hell knows what happened. I will look for said 3 way. That would be nice if I have overlooked it.

Thank you
Old 04-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Well I feel pretty stupid. In that panel is a ceiling light switch. So all is good. First , thanks to all who replied to help. I appreciate it

Second, I learned a lot about my wiring.

Thanks again.
Mike
Old 04-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrees72 View Post
Well I feel pretty stupid. In that panel is a ceiling light switch. So all is good. First , thanks to all who replied to help. I appreciate it

Second, I learned a lot about my wiring.

Thanks again.
Mike
Feeling stupid? Been there and done that-on the same question. Love it when a plan comes together! Also remember that there are switches on each light fixture. If a fixture is not working, check the integral switch.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #13

Lights

Ok, hope you get it figured out, these things are always so frustrating.
imscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imscott View Post
Ok, hope you get it figured out, these things are always so frustrating.
OP did in fact get it figured out. Look back up to post #11.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light