Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #41
Left Coast
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: vancouver,washington
Posts: 15,649
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Best teacher is hands on!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #42
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Praise the lord and pass the gravy! Found the second bad fuse! The little bugger was hiding in the second under hood panel with no labels for it. Found a website where an expert suggested checking this fuse. Changed it and I am good to go.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this. Now do I just leave well enough alone or do I take a shot at the backup camera again? Just kidding. We leave Friday for camping, not going to take a chance at messing things up until camping season is over in a couple of months.
Good choice on waiting. Camping is more fun than fuse searching.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
kho6658's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Praise the lord and pass the gravy! Found the second bad fuse! The little bugger was hiding in the second under hood panel with no labels for it. Found a website where an expert suggested checking this fuse. Changed it and I am good to go.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this. Now do I just leave well enough alone or do I take a shot at the backup camera again? Just kidding. We leave Friday for camping, not going to take a chance at messing things up until camping season is over in a couple of months.
Glad you got it working before your trip. I am impressed by your willingness to jump in and try mods like this This would have been on my wife's honeydew list.
__________________
2019 Sabre 36BHQ
2017 F350 Lariat

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Praise the lord and pass the gravy! Found the second bad fuse! The little bugger was hiding in the second under hood panel with no labels for it. Found a website where an expert suggested checking this fuse. Changed it and I am good to go.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this. Now do I just leave well enough alone or do I take a shot at the backup camera again? Just kidding. We leave Friday for camping, not going to take a chance at messing things up until camping season is over in a couple of months.
Outstanding!!! Glad it worked out for you!!

Gosh I hate electrical problems!!
__________________
2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS
2017 1500 Silverado LTZ Z71 with 6.2L, 8-speed & tow package
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 19 days; 2018: 26 days; 2019: 8 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 29
Back up camera

For future reference. In checking the #& (Back-up lights) The TV would have to have the key on and the transmission shifted to Reverse to make the circuit hot when you checked from the # 7 pin to the bumper or a ground.
alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
karrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago Western Burbs
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by alayton View Post
For future reference. In checking the #& (Back-up lights) The TV would have to have the key on and the transmission shifted to Reverse to make the circuit hot when you checked from the # 7 pin to the bumper or a ground.
Thanks. I checked the #3 and ground pin with my voltmeter. Those should be hot with the key to "on" and the Durango lights on, correct?
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Orlando
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by kho6658 View Post
I am impressed by your willingness to jump in and try mods like this
x2
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 7,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
We had same type issue with a Wildcat. Turns out that there was an inline fuse hidden behind a panel where the battery disconnect is located. We would have never found it, but a quick call to Forest River helped solve the mystery. There were three or four other fuses back there, but there is no documentation or labels nothing to indicate their existence.
X2 (and Shame on FR for designing this "feature.")

The other fuses control the Slides--I know from personal experience

We blew one of those fuses when I attempted to bring 2 slides in simultaneously and it took us forever to find the fuses, but they are there - just remove the battery cover and you will see them hiding in line on the wiring harness to the battery.

Why FR did not simply add these fuses to the main breaker panel is beyond me!
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Thanks. I checked the #3 and ground pin with my voltmeter. Those should be hot with the key to "on" and the Durango lights on, correct?


But it is the #7 pin that is for your back up camera.
the switch has to be on AND the TV put in reverse for it to be hot.
alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
karrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago Western Burbs
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by alayton View Post
But it is the #7 pin that is for your back up camera.
the switch has to be on AND the TV put in reverse for it to be hot.
But there are no reverse lights on my Roo, only running lights. So I was going to hook it up to the running light.
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #51
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12,636
As long as you have to run a wire for the "hard wired" backup camera, why not run a second for camera power ( only need one conductor for power side) . Open the junction box ( mounted to tongue) and connect it to the wire ( from trailer plug) that is normally used for backup lights. This also allows you to add backup lights should you ever decide to do so. Much cleaner and straight forward approach.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wade N C
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
As long as you have to run a wire for the "hard wired" backup camera, why not run a second for camera power ( only need one conductor for power side) . Open the junction box ( mounted to tongue) and connect it to the wire ( from trailer plug) that is normally used for backup lights. This also allows you to add backup lights should you ever decide to do so. Much cleaner and straight forward approach.
Ditto what Flyboy said, and if you look at the 7 pin wiring diagram, the center pin is for Aux. This is the pin for Back up lights.
__________________
George Scott
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 272RLIS
2006 Heartland BH 3400/Summer Home
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
karrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago Western Burbs
Posts: 491
So if I am understanding what Flybob and Scotty are saying, don't attached the bare terminated red wire from the camera to the rear running light, but rather add an extension and run them forward with the video wire to the wire from the trailer plug? Or do I have this totally wrong?
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #54
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 16,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by alayton View Post
But it is the #7 pin that is for your back up camera.
the switch has to be on AND the TV put in reverse for it to be hot.
I can't speak for others, but I don't want my trailer's back-up camera to be powered only when my TV transmission is in reverse (back-up lights on). I want my back-up camera on all the time the trailer is on/hot. I can take my back-up camera monitor inside my trailer and watch (and hear) what's going on behind my trailer even with the TV unhooked.

Now, I DO need to know which circuit/pin is hot in reverse in case I ever want to add back-up lights to my trailer as 1l243 documented in http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f44/added-back-up-lights-76205.html.
__________________
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 28; Booked = 50
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
It's a 2004 Durango. I do have a voltmeter. How do I check the 7 pin plug? I am a bit of a dolt when it comes to electrical, in case you can't tell.
BTDT. I did it in my 2005 Durango. I can't recall exactly which fuse was blown but it's in the fuse block under the hood. It wasn't obvious. Keep looking.
__________________
- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat RWD MaxTow
- 2020 Rockwood 2507S
chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #56
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Hook your back up camera to the clearance lights, that way it is on all the time you are going down the road and backing into wherever. Simple no extra wiring.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wade N C
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
So if I am understanding what Flybob and Scotty are saying, don't attached the bare terminated red wire from the camera to the rear running light, but rather add an extension and run them forward with the video wire to the wire from the trailer plug? Or do I have this totally wrong?
Depends on if when you want the camera on. If you just want it for backing up, then connect as I mentioned previously.
__________________
George Scott
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 272RLIS
2006 Heartland BH 3400/Summer Home
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.