Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2023, 11:50 AM   #1

Help with finding a manual 50 amp transfer switch

I would like to add a manual transfer switch to my unit . It is always parked and is hard wired in with a bulldog EMS . I was wanting to use the supplied 50 amp power cord for generator use but need a transfer switch . i would like to stay away from the automatic transfer switches because of permanent use and have a manual one i can use when power goes out so i can safely use the generator But don't seem to be able to find anything .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:14 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are lots of manual transfer switches designed to be used with whole home generators but costly. They could do the job though and take up a lot of room.

To do what you want, keep the R/V cord and R/V wall side outlet intact, you'll need to look more for an AC rotary switch instead of a transfer switch.

Here's one rated at 240V/65a...
AC Rotary Switch - OFF + 2 Positions 240V AC 65A

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:47 PM   #3

Yes keeping the shore power cord and receptical on the outside to plug into generator then a manual switch to go from either shore or generator then into the bulldog . I'll look at the link you sent . 4 wires
Old 06-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #4

Wow looked that switch up and for $373 i'll try and fine another solution..

I can get a basic auto transfer switch for $100. bucks. it's just longevity I'm looking for and auto transfer switch don't seem to last very long .
Old 06-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #5

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Unive...72668131&psc=1

This looks to be the same item only $24 bucks .. this will work . it will only be used for power outages
Old 06-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Wow looked that switch up and for $373 i'll try and fine another solution..

I can get a basic auto transfer switch for $100. bucks. it's just longevity I'm looking for and auto transfer switch don't seem to last very long .
A good and reliable transfer switch is a costly item. I prefer the manual type of transfer switch. Thus I can switch from one power source to another of my own choosing.

As to automatic switches, they are no more than a relay. The issue I've observed is when the source power fails it automatically switches to the auxiliary power. a.k.a shore power to generator power. This can occur with a significant load on the system and thus "hot switching" is highly likely. Additionally, if shore power drops out for a brief moment, the automatic switch operates thus switching to generator power. If the shore power interruption is momentary, the automatic switch switches back to shore power with the system load in place. Again, one has a hot switching condition. Convenient yes, reliable no.

You will pay for what you get and get what you pay for.

Personally, if shore power fails, I would unplug the shore power cord, start the generator, and plug the shore power cord into the generator then flip the breaker ON at the generator. This is all free and is reliable.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #7

Help with finding a manual 50 amp transfer switch

Is the generator portable or mounted in the RV.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
A good and reliable transfer switch is a costly item. I prefer the manual type of transfer switch. Thus I can switch from one power source to another of my own choosing.

As to automatic switches, they are no more than a relay. The issue I've observed is when the source power fails it automatically switches to the auxiliary power. a.k.a shore power to generator power. This can occur with a significant load on the system and thus "hot switching" is highly likely. Additionally, if shore power drops out for a brief moment, the automatic switch operates thus switching to generator power. If the shore power interruption is momentary, the automatic switch switches back to shore power with the system load in place. Again, one has a hot switching condition. Convenient yes, reliable no.

You will pay for what you get and get what you pay for.

Personally, if shore power fails, I would unplug the shore power cord, start the generator, and plug the shore power cord into the generator then flip the breaker ON at the generator. This is all free and is reliable.

Bob
edited to let you know i'm hard wired in not using power cord . saved power cord and rv pulg for generator use and now i need the switch to finish settint this up

Thanks for the reply . I fully understand transfer switches . at least the automatic used in RV have replaced dozens of them.

Rv transfer switch depending on setup will only transfer when a power source is present . ie if generator is running and you plug into shore power it will not switch to shore until generator power is cut off . like wise if you're plugged into shore power and lose power it will not start the generator though some systems are set up to do just that .

I'm looking for a manual switch so i can use my portable generator when power goes out . this way i will have no feed back to shore power lines and can use as needed ..

$371 is crazy since the same switch is $24 on amazon . they are all the same switches i just wasn't sure if that type would work for what i'm doing

5pickker has got me pointed in the right direction and have the switch sitting in my cart along with the 8000watt inverter generator i will use as back up power /should be able to run both Ac's and it's dual fuel also

Tags
50 amp, manual, switch, transfer switch