Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

High pitched noise when I turn lights (not consistent)

I know I asked this awhile back, but I can't seem to find an answer. I even took my trailer in for service and they said they had no idea. Whenever I turn on lights in my trailer, there is a high pitched whistle that sounds like it is coming from the fuse panel. Sometimes it does it when I first turn on a light, sometimes after the light has been on for a couple of minutes. The sound usually lasts no longer that a minute and comes and goes. Someone before mentioned it was the converter. If so... Why? I would appreciate any feedback on this, thank you!
Kathy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #2

Possibly the fan for the converter. As the 12 volt load increases, heat is generated. You may be hearing the cooling fan keeping the converter cool.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
Possibly the fan for the converter. As the 12 volt load increases, heat is generated. You may be hearing the cooling fan keeping the converter cool.
Thank you...I bought my trailer new in 08', never made this noise until last year... Could the converter be going bad?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

It could be the fan bearings (sleeve type bearing) going bad or could be a capacitor in the converter going bad. A electrolytic capacitor will sometimes make a high pitched whistle as they are failing, sometimes they will go with a bang, and sometimes with a whistle and then a bang.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
It could be the fan bearings (sleeve type bearing) going bad or could be a capacitor in the converter going bad. A electrolytic capacitor will sometimes make a high pitched whistle as they are failing, sometimes they will go with a bang, and sometimes with a whistle and then a bang.
What will happen if "it goes"?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

It will completely stop charging your battery(ies). If it goes with a bang and you are close enough, you'll know. Sounds like a gun shot.

Had one pop in a desktop computer on the power regulator of the motherboard. I was using it at the time. Computer shut down immediately. Capacitor before: 1/2 inch diameter x 1 inch tall, after: bits of paper all over inside and the metal case laying in the bottom.
BTW, I had noticed a high pitch whistle every so often for 2 weeks previous.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
I know I asked this awhile back, but I can't seem to find an answer. I even took my trailer in for service and they said they had no idea. Whenever I turn on lights in my trailer, there is a high pitched whistle that sounds like it is coming from the fuse panel. Sometimes it does it when I first turn on a light, sometimes after the light has been on for a couple of minutes. The sound usually lasts no longer that a minute and comes and goes. Someone before mentioned it was the converter. If so... Why? I would appreciate any feedback on this, thank you!
I just picked up my 2018 Forest River Hyper Lite 30HDS about a month ago. I noticed that high pitched noise you mentioned. I only notice it when I turn on the bathroom light. I know that it's not an exhaust fan it comes from the fuse panel. It will run a little then stop. I hope it's not a bad converter already. Waiting on Forest River to answer. Anyone have this problem too?
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I was, also, thinking it's just your power convertor. When mine gets a certain load on it (like having a lot of lights on and then turning on my coffee maker) the convertor will make a noise and the cooling fan inside also comes on.

The reason is it has to convert the 110 shore power (or 30 or 50 amps) down to 12-volts which is what most things the camper runs on.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
I was, also, thinking it's just your power convertor. When mine gets a certain load on it (like having a lot of lights on and then turning on my coffee maker) the convertor will make a noise and the cooling fan inside also comes on.

The reason is it has to convert the 110 shore power (or 30 or 50 amps) down to 12-volts which is what most things the camper runs on.
You should not be getting a whistling from your converter. Fan running should only be the blades pushing the air.

FYI, 95% of capacitors are made in China. There was several large batches, several millions, made with the wrong chemicals used in the electrolyte that the paper insulation is soaked in. This electrolyte is what was traced to be the cause of failure. Who knows how many are still on the shelves.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

Check the converter fan. Mine did that, then got static in sound bar speakers then all quit. Called FR they were going to schedule mobile repair & ship new one but I changed myself. Rig was only 5 month old
redleg719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #11

Converter/charger

Your problem is in the converter/ Charger!
When the charger is charging the battery or supply the 12 volt to your TT.
The converter transformer make that noize also they add ferite beads to the diodes and that can also vibrate and make the noize .
It can be fix by an electronic tech. Not a big job!
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

Sorry, I had to do it. It just leaped into my mind when I read the original title. https://youtu.be/STNrDw8qpag
"Lord, forgive me for what i done right there..."
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaster View Post
I just picked up my 2018 Forest River Hyper Lite 30HDS about a month ago. I noticed that high pitched noise you mentioned. I only notice it when I turn on the bathroom light.
I've noticed my 2015 Salem CruiseLite has a hum coming from the fuse box area but only when more than one light is turned on.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #14

Sounds like the converter fan / bearing noise.
Replace Fan.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Sorry, I had to do it. It just leaped into my mind when I read the original title. https://youtu.be/STNrDw8qpag
"Lord, forgive me for what i done right there..."
[emoji23] [emoji23]
Old 05-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaster View Post
I just picked up my 2018 Forest River Hyper Lite 30HDS about a month ago. I noticed that high pitched noise you mentioned. I only notice it when I turn on the bathroom light. I know that it's not an exhaust fan it comes from the fuse panel. It will run a little then stop. I hope it's not a bad converter already. Waiting on Forest River to answer. Anyone have this problem too?
Thanks everyone for your feedback on this issue. Sounds like everyone has the same conclusions about the noise. I just don't want to be stranded with no electricity lol. All the dealers are booked up till July 10 I have another issue the brakes so I have a quick stop in and they will look at it. Safety first so hopefully they can hear the fan and fix it or order one. Thanks more to follow
Old 06-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post

Thanks for your feedback that's what dealer told me today.

Tags
light, noise