Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #1

High Voltage

So it seems our solar panel on our 21, 29TE has been putting out up to 25 volts at times! Burned our converter up, a battery cell and an led light over the stove! They replaced the converter because they thought that was the problem! Two weeks later, the inside cannon fridge stopped working but the freezer didnít! The voltage once again increased to 25 volts! I called the dealer, they had me cut the four wires to the control box for the panel! That did nothing! I called back and they said to cut the wires at the panel on the roof! As soon as I did that, the voltage dropped to 13.7 immediately! The warranty went out just this past Feb! Obviously there is a serious problem with the solar panel, as the control box is made in India and very cheap! Whatís going on here, please help!
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:27 PM   #2

Sounds like the solar panel(s) were wired directly to the battery and the solar controller was doing nothing.

Sometimes, if it can be proven the factory wired something wrong and it wasn't after shipped, they will fix it out of warranty. Might take some coaxing but have proof ready.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #3

Yes, although I disconnected the positive and neg on the battery, no external 110, and volt meter shot up to 25! This was after cutting the four wires to the panel box! After reconnecting the battery and cutting the wires directly at the panel on the roof, the meter immediately dropped to 13.7 volts!
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sometimes, if it can be proven the factory wired something wrong and it wasn't after shipped, they will fix it out of warranty. Might take some coaxing but have proof ready.
Hopefully there is enough left to take a picture and show how the solar was wired.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:56 PM   #5

If it is/was the Waarre converter, then it was potentially mis-wired. It looks as though FR has been doing that straight from the factory. On mine, the battery was wired to the 'load' side and two of the other inputs/outputs were tied together. End result was that direct panel voltage was ending up at the battery with no 'controlling' going on from the charge controller.
ctechbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #6

Solar panels will are designed to put out voltage above 12V, my 100W panels have a Voc of 22V. Your solar controller should be metering the input voltage to properly charge your batteries. Sounds like the solar may be wired directly to your camper (by-passing your batteries).
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
Always Learning

If it's anything like the last few posts of other owners have experienced.. your solar/solar charge controller is wired wrong. There is a wire going directly from the panels to the battery. That should not be there, the only solar-related wires to the battery should come directly from the solar controller.

See these threads:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ng-248075.html

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2716034

Tags
voltage