Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Give Me Dirt

Honda EX1000 - DC Battery Charging

First, I have to tell you, if you own one of these gennies, you are IMO very lucky and made a wise purchase. I have owned this unit for 2 decades, bought it new, I have used it for hours on end on camping excursions without much of a problem ever. I think I've changed the oil maybe every other year, the spark plug, maybe 3 times and had it serviced once when the fly wheel wasn't springing back the rope coil (wrong terminology but you get it). Damned awesome generator. Puts out steady 900w, 1000peak and will go for 8 hours using only 0.8 gallon of gas. And it's pretty quiet. So when I started looking at Solar recently, I laughed immediately and figure I'm already doing a decent job being frugal with Mother Earth. Solar is not even an option - especially in Michigan. And I find most of that discussion a joke anyway, but I'll let it go. I'd feel safer running a small clean nuclear reactor at the back of the Solaire TT (joke!)

I seem to go through rv batteries more than I should. Deep Cycle, 110AH interstate has been the typical mainstay. Think they're up to ab out $81 at Walmart. Just changed over to a Decca(?) branded Aqua 140AH (2 of them) that were only about $120 each at Auto Value (not included any core fees or returns).

I think from my reading around in here, I have overdrawn past batteries and am looking for a better care and maintenance regimen. Drawdown into the 11+ volt range has probably not been good. Today I saw 12.1 resting on the digital inverter and after 2 nights running a cpap, figured I'd go for a charge. I suppose my questions is: Might there be a simple formula for knowing how long to leave the batter on the dc direct output of the generator? Is it possible to over charge and damage the battery the same as over-drawing i? The Honda EX1000 DC output says up to 8.3A. Are there any easy formulas for figuring how to get a resting 12.1 battery back up to (? 12.7 ? is that correct?) full charge? I have read Deep Cycle can read out put over 13+, but that seems high?

I am sure this has been addressed in various fashions but started a new thread when I could not believe noone (from the search) has used this type of gen - it is the perfect tent or small rv unit and great for charging. Since it has the specifically designated dc output stated for charging batteries, it would make no sense from an efficiency standpoint to put a charger into the ac plug, then to battery.

Thanks!
richminaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Team

You are much better off connecting the RV power cord to the Generator's 120V output with an adapter and allow the converter charge the battery. Not only is it more efficient but also faster and automatic with no worries about how long. Also recommend not drawing the batteries down lower than 40-50%
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Voltage.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	259323  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Give Me Dirt

Thanks FlyBob

Actually, I should have been clear in that I do keep the main battery on the TT plugged in and allow that to charge via the converter built into the rig.

The additional battery for inside (CPAP, phone charging, laptop,etc) I move in and out (that's gotta change) and hook that one up to the DC output of the generator which specifically says for charging batteries.

I may have to do some rewiring. And moving 65 pound batteries around just isn't fun.

Thanks also for the chart!
Old 07-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #4

This is why big lithium batteries rock.
Solar in upstate NY is no different than Michigan, you have to have ground deploy. Shady woodsy campsites will not work with roof mounted.
With two 100 watt panels, can use the tv, heated mattress all night, furnace a bit, and fully charged by high noon. The efficiency of lithium can not be understated. Round trip ( what goes in vs what comes out) is near 100%, vs IIRC, about 70% for fla. And you can damn near drain them.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #5

Look at;
12 volt side of life
Google it, 2 parts.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Old 07-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
Give Me Dirt

Lithium and 12 volt side of life

Definitely if money were not an issue, a monster lithium battery. I'll google the prices again, but as I recall I fell off the chair and had a blackout when I saw the prices.

Thx for the suggestion on the 12 volt side of life. Going to read that now.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

I suggest you spend $20 at Harbor Freight and get a battery tester.

You mentioned that sometimes your battery measures over 13 volts? That is because it is fresh off a charge cycle and has what is called SURFACE charge built up. That surface charge is quickly dissipated when the battery is used and will drop down to 12.6 volts.

This battery tester has a momentary switch that puts a LOAD on the battery for 10 seconds or so and will show you that VOLTAGE reading when the battery is being used and again when the switch is off will tell you what the resting voltage is.

You can use this tester to quickly measure the voltage of your charging battery accurately by loading it momentarily and dissipating the surface charge.
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #8

We had an alpenlite with 4 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. wanted to be able to use the 1000 Inverter but the surge protector shut that idea down o I bought a 15 amp manual battery charger and installed the same plug as when hooking to the truck and the honda ran the charger much faster than the 12 volt connection from the honda to the battery. this worked great for when we boondocked a few times and once when the inverter stopped charging on a long trip. I used the 2amp switch to just slow charge. I am telling this because a battery charger is a great item to carry. I later made it so I can charge a car with clips. Made another adapter. the 1000 isn't enough power but for my reasons it is good enough. chevman
labarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #9
Give Me Dirt

Thank you very much. I will check that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I suggest you spend $20 at Harbor Freight and get a battery tester.

You mentioned that sometimes your battery measures over 13 volts? That is because it is fresh off a charge cycle and has what is called SURFACE charge built up. That surface charge is quickly dissipated when the battery is used and will drop down to 12.6 volts.

This battery tester has a momentary switch that puts a LOAD on the battery for 10 seconds or so and will show you that VOLTAGE reading when the battery is being used and again when the switch is off will tell you what the resting voltage is.

You can use this tester to quickly measure the voltage of your charging battery accurately by loading it momentarily and dissipating the surface charge.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #10
Give Me Dirt

Wow - I never even realized they made inverters with that much wattage!!! At some point, I'd like to try longer trips and working from the road when I get a little older. Been doing it on and off since Covid ... a few trips, but only a week at a time. If I can get the internet, that's half the battle. And I refuse to do Walmart camping; I want rustic.

!!! OH - Plug Time !!!!
Internet (this should go on a separate thread when I get a chance)
I have found better luck using the new TMobile 5G Home Internet Router. Better speeds, better coverage and when it works well, truly 5G speed compared to Verizon. I'm also on the wait list for Starlink (sat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarn View Post
We had an alpenlite with 4 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. wanted to be able to use the 1000 Inverter but the surge protector shut that idea down o I bought a 15 amp manual battery charger and installed the same plug as when hooking to the truck and the honda ran the charger much faster than the 12 volt connection from the honda to the battery. this worked great for when we boondocked a few times and once when the inverter stopped charging on a long trip. I used the 2amp switch to just slow charge. I am telling this because a battery charger is a great item to carry. I later made it so I can charge a car with clips. Made another adapter. the 1000 isn't enough power but for my reasons it is good enough. chevman
Old 07-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
We had an alpenlite with 4 12 volt batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. wanted to be able to use the 1000 Inverter but the surge protector shut that idea down
I am going to interpret this above statement as saying the built-in DC charger for the 1000 watt Honda is limited to 8.3 amps( about 100 watts) of charging current. When hooked to a bank of 4 batteries to charge, it trips the Honda breaker because 4 batteries ( or for that matter a deeply discharged battery) will pull more then the 8.3 amps the Honda DC charger will give.

However the Honda will supply 1000 watts of AC power, so by using a separate battery charger rated for 15 amps DC, you were able to charge the 4 battery bank successfully with the larger charger without tripping the Honda breaker.

I have seen this happen myself using another brand of 1000 watt gas genny... the built-in DC battery charger is limited in output to 8.3 amps and will trip the internal breaker if putting a larger load that requires more than the 8.3 amps. I "fixed" mine by pulling the internal genny DC breaker and installing a plug-in 15 amp fuse in-line with the battery charger cable supplied with the genny. The better solution would be to use a larger seperate battery charger as was suggested by post #8

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #12

More to my story about the alpenlite honda 1000. I wanted to see what would happen if I plugged into the trailers cord . almost instantly the honda died. over load. so back to the honda dealer to try a 2000 honda but same story. I deided to change my plan and do what I have mention above. The surge protecter was the reason not wanting low power to enter. later it was said a way to allow the honda enter so I made the item and never used or tried. The real issue with the 1000 is it will not run my air compressor. Now we have a rockwood with one battery and no inverter but our future is short and might be home again this winter. Also I run the honda every fall and refill with non ethanol gas and 1 oz seafoam per gallon. Works great. 2001 honda with almost no hours using it. chevman
Old 07-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
I am going to interpret this above statement as saying the built-in DC charger for the 1000 watt Honda is limited to 8.3 amps( about 100 watts) of charging current. When hooked to a bank of 4 batteries to charge, it trips the Honda breaker because 4 batteries ( or for that matter a deeply discharged battery) will pull more then the 8.3 amps the Honda DC charger will give.

However the Honda will supply 1000 watts of AC power, so by using a separate battery charger rated for 15 amps DC, you were able to charge the 4 battery bank successfully with the larger charger without tripping the Honda breaker.

I have seen this happen myself using another brand of 1000 watt gas genny... the built-in DC battery charger is limited in output to 8.3 amps and will trip the internal breaker if putting a larger load that requires more than the 8.3 amps. I "fixed" mine by pulling the internal genny DC breaker and installing a plug-in 15 amp fuse in-line with the battery charger cable supplied with the genny. The better solution would be to use a larger seperate battery charger as was suggested by post #8
1000 Watts @ 13.6 volts is 73 amps. The most a normal converter will do is 50 or so.

The surge protector will have issues with a neutral not bonded to ground, which I believe is what he was alluding too.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #14

halt ton. perfect statement. thanks

chevman
Old 07-20-2021, 05:44 PM   #15

Half ton and labarn

THe OP post said this...

Quote:
Might there be a simple formula for knowing how long to leave the batter on the dc direct output of the generator? Is it possible to over charge and damage the battery the same as over-drawing i? The Honda EX1000 DC output says up to 8.3A.
I was trying to answer in this context using the 12 VDC output of the Honda is limited to 8.3 AMPs by a breaker built-into the generator...

Somehow we got into a manual battery charger conversation plugged into a 1000 watt then a 2000 watt genny... and I guess I got confused by that post.

sorry for any confusion, but I knew what I was talking about but I had a bit of trouble keeping up with the language in the further posts...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Quote:
Half ton and labarn

THe OP post said this...

I was trying to answer in this context using the 12 VDC output of the Honda is limited to 8.3 AMPs by a breaker built-into the generator...

Somehow we got into a manual battery charger conversation plugged into a 1000 watt then a 2000 watt genny... and I guess I got confused by that post.

sorry for any confusion, but I knew what I was talking about but I had a bit of trouble keeping up with the language in the further posts...

I thought you were perfect. words can be difficult at times/ labarn or chevman
Old 07-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #17
Give Me Dirt

I know I got lost, but I'm trying to catch up. Correct on the 8.3 amp Honda EX1000 output specs - So what you are saying that is more a limitation of the generator output, rather than a math formula; 1000 watts (900 steady) at 12 volts?

Anyway, there are seriously bright people on here. What a resource. WIS I was able to go boondocking full time

I doubt I will invest much in this rig (Palomino Solaire, circa 2013) .. it has the mushy floor syndrome and I filled up a forum already last year trying to find ways to resolve it. This thing was defective when I bought it used in 2015. I just survived Surgery and chemo and was a hurry to get back to RV'ing not knowing the future and I failed to adequately test. The floor does not seem to be worsening, but I'm hesitant to invest a lot into investing in lithium batteries, 12 volt fridge and so on. So I'm stuck using these deep marine cycle batts.

Quote:
Half ton and labarn

THe OP post said this...

Tags
battery, charging