Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcStark View Post
I have a Honda 1000 and just wanted to have it charge the batteries in my Forrester RV. As soon as I plug it in it immediately shuts down. I have everything shut off in the unit that might draw too much power, like the AC or electric hot water, nothing but a few LED lights and the OneControl Can Bus system

I have put a power usage meter on the RV connection and it is drawing 33 Watts or .29 amps at 114 volts. Almost nothing.

Does anyone have any idea why the Honda shuts down and what I might do to fix the problem.

Thanks
Turn off your converter breaker and try it again your converter is pulling more power than you are adding make sure your fridge is off or on propane too
cl733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:56 PM   #42

I use an onboard generator so never go through this, but why would someone start a generator and THEN plug in a 30A cord into a live socket.? This seems like a recipe for disaster. Isn’t there a way to plug in, turn off output, start the genny, then turn on output? Or is plugging into a live socket the normal process?
Old 06-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #43

Quote:
I have a Honda 1000 and just wanted to have it charge the batteries in my Forrester RV. As soon as I plug it in it immediately shuts down. I have everything shut off in the unit that might draw too much power, like the AC or electric hot water, nothing but a few LED lights and the OneControl Can Bus system

I have put a power usage meter on the RV connection and it is drawing 33 Watts or .29 amps at 114 volts. Almost nothing.

Does anyone have any idea why the Honda shuts down and what I might do to fix the problem.

Thanks
Mine did that.. I needed a high altitude jet… as I was in Idaho… Fixed the problem.
trishas47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I use an onboard generator so never go through this, but why would someone start a generator and THEN plug in a 30A cord into a live socket.? This seems like a recipe for disaster. Isn’t there a way to plug in, turn off output, start the genny, then turn on output? Or is plugging into a live socket the normal process?

On a small portable generator this is the process.
Start generator
Plug in device
They typically do not have an off switch for the power output.
You could shut off your trailer's main breaker and then plug into the running generator then -ideally- you would turn off all breakers and turn on the main and then turn on other breakers one at a time
We still don't know if this little Honda is being used with the ECO function on or not.

It's starting to sound like an overload-engine stall but that's just my most recent guess.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #45

Is the refrigerator on? Like many have said, that generator is way to small.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #46

Just thought I would ask the OP how things turned out and what the problem was. Enquiring minds want to know the outcome for future reference. Thanks.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #47

I have tried turning Eco mode off but the result is the same, immediate shut down.
As I write this the generator is humming away powering a 20 amp and a 15 amp chargers filling up my batteries.
It’s not low oil or any other problem with the generator, it is some incompatibility between the Honda Nd the Fortester.
When I get home I will trip all the AC breakers and see if it still quits and if not put them back I one at a time .
To answer a couple of other questions: the fridge and electric hot water was off and the battery bank was fully charged when I first plugged it in and it quit.
AcStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #48
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Google Honda generator neutral ground bond.
That was the second thing that came to mind; right after low oil.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #49

Quote:
I have tried turning Eco mode off but the result is the same, immediate shut down.
As I write this the generator is humming away powering a 20 amp and a 15 amp chargers filling up my batteries.
It’s not low oil or any other problem with the generator, it is some incompatibility between the Honda Nd the Fortester.
When I get home I will trip all the AC breakers and see if it still quits and if not put them back I one at a time .
To answer a couple of other questions: the fridge and electric hot water was off and the battery bank was fully charged when I first plugged it in and it quit.
Unplug the hot water heating element and see if that changes anything.

Tags
generator