Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

honda vs champion generator

I am looking at 1800 running-watt generators. the Honda 2000/1800W is almost twice the price of the Champion 2500/1850W. I know Honda is the gold standard, but I'm having trouble justifying 2X price.

There are many positive posts here about the Champions.

any negative experiences with the Champions? the specific unit I'm looking at is model 200961.

or, any great experience with other brands? dual fuel would be nice.

thanks

ken
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

I got a pair of Champion 2k 'cube' style generators. They are fine but seldom used. Most of my destinations have shore power, and the times I've brought them along for a dry overnighter enroute, temps did not justify dragging it out of truck to run A.C.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

I purchased a pair of the Yamaha 2000s a few years ago. These and the Honda's were the only low volume, inverter generators on the market at that time. If I were buying now, I would definitely check out the Champions and other generators that have recently hit the market. I would guess that the Yams and Honda's are still "better" (quieter slightly more power) than the others, but probably not enough to justify 2X the price.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You'll get many opinions.

Those that have justified spending the money and own Hondas will tell you they are the best without ever having real world experience with anything else.

And then you'll get the opinion of the Champion owners who spent 1/2 as much, love their generator(s) and never had an issue to have to pony up for a Honda because their Champion didn't cut it.

For the most part, Champion seems to be a reliable generator with good service backing it. I've only really heard NMWildcat (forum member here) indicate that with their camping/racing buddies, has anyone had any real issues with Champion.

Personally, I own something else but my good friend and bandmate has a dual fuel Champion 3500w and we've put it to good use/test at many bluegrass festivals where there are no hook-ups. It has worked flawlessly over many hours of constant running and hard use.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

My Hondas (2 eu2000is) are almost 15 years old and used heavily as we mainly boondock.
My ranking is Honda, Champion, then anything else. I no longer consider Yamaha to be a good generator as they are definitely not what they used to be.
We RV with a fairly large group. Many have Champions. A few have carburetor problems and carry a spare carb. Otherwise they are great. But they do not last as long as Honda among folks who use them heavily, and they do not have an internal fuel pump as the Honda does. But the price is right.
Hondas definitely outlast anything else, so you do get your money back, but the cost is painful up front. The fuel pump makes using a nurse tank simple.
I have been considering selling my 2000s and getting the new Honda EU2200I for their new features as my buddy has, but why fix what isn't broke
Lots of choices out there, lots of differences in price and reliability/longevity. The Champion is definitely a good compromise choice.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:59 PM   #6

We purchased a new Honda EU2200 earlier this season and love it, have used it many times and was purchased from an actual dealer not a big box store (Because the dealer will service what they sell)
I chose the Honda simply because I could and I didn't want to second guess my decision down the road. I will also note that I am a Generac dealer and I wouldn't even consider purchasing one of there inverter generators.
The biggest thing no matter what make / model you get is to not use ordinary pump gas, sure you can play around with fuel stabilizers and you may have success but really with any small engine it is best to use Non-Ethanol fuel.
I use only VP non-ethanol fuel in my snow blower and generator and never have any fuel / carburetor issues, they both always start on the first pull and run smooth.
Our local Camping World had a bunch of the new Champion generators available at there open house over the summer, I have to admit the pricing on them looks very tempting!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #7

I've found the Brand-X (non-Honda) gensets to be loud. Noise level is measured in decibels (dBA) and is a logarithmic scale. 60 dBA is twice as loud as 50.

Even my quiet Honda EU3000, though, is loud enough to hear at quite a distance When it powers my house (during power outages) I usually turn if off at night so I can sleep undisturbed even though the generator is at the opposite end of my house. In a camper it's much louder.

My EU1000 was much quieter but was only good for charging the batteries.

-- Chuck
Old 10-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #8

Scrolling through Facebook marketplace Honda EU2000's can be had between 6-800 around me. The Honda will last forever so the used market is a great place to save some $$
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #9

I just purchased a 2500 W Champion Inverter type generator. My third Champion since 2005 and not because anything was wrong with the first two.

I've seen and used Honda's and they're a fine generator so no issues there. That said you'll be hard pressed to find anything wrong with the Champions either.

For the money they're great, especially when one can end up buying two for the price of one.

My first was an Open Frame 3500 W that never failed to start on first or second pull. In 14 years I only had to replace one sparkplug. More because I wanted to than because I had to.

Second one is a 3500W Dual Fuel inverter. Working flawless for several seasons.

Decided to add a third, the 2500W inverter for my winter travels as it's plenty for charging batteries after cloudy boondocking trips, runs longer on a fill, and lighter so I can carry more fuel, leaving the 3500W home.

I also bought the 50 amp ParaLink kit so I can parallel the two inverter generators for a total output of 6 KW (Yes, you CAN parallel two different size Inverters, at least the Champions). Not exactly required for my TT during summer as the 3500 W Inverter will run A/C and Microwave at same time, but I also have my house wired with a Transfer Switch with 50 amp 120 volt feed. We do have power outages where I live.

Yes, the Honda's have a fuel pump built in for those that want to run 'nurse tanks" for extended runs. If that's a major issue, a fuel pump is $20 and numerous YouTube videos on how to install on the engine (which is a Honda Clone).

In summary, if you absolutely have to have a red generator with a fuel pump, and don't mind paying 2X the money, Honda is for you.

If you want to keep the money and have a generator that starts and puts out electricity reliably, and is quiet as well, then keep the second half of the money and go with the Champion (or other equally reliable choices).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #10

I agree with TitanMike. My 3400W dual fuel Champion is quiet and runs everything I need.

Attached is a photo of a short test I ran evaluating the noise of it. You can see the exhaust is pointed right at the trailer, fueled by LPG and I am running the A/C. When the A/C is off and the idle is still up on the generator I can barely hear sitting on the couch by the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_104321.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	264757  

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:15 PM   #11

I've owned a Yamaha EF3000ISE, Champion 3100 Inverter, Firman 2100 Inverter, and now a Honda EU3000i. By far, the Yamaha and Honda are quieter than the Champion and Firman. I consider the Champion and Firmans the equivalent of a jack hammer when at full power compared with either the Honda or Yamaha. I'd prefer to pay the lower price but decided volume was worth the extra cost. That said I did like the Champion and had installed fuel pump and 12 gallon marine fuel tank for extended runtime. Wouldn't touch a Firman again.
firestorm_actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:33 PM   #12

I recently bought the exact same Champion that the OP is looking at and very happy with it. Only a few test runs on it so far but it runs everything I need it run to on my FR A-frame. I intend to run it mainly on propane and in fact have not even put any gasoline in the tank because I didn't want to have to deal with draining it back out for storage.

If you are looking for cons on the Champion -- It is hard to start on propane when you first connect it to the tank. Takes a lot of pulling and priming to purge the air out of the propane line. Once you get it started (and don't disconnect the tank), it will go on subsequent starts on the first pull every time.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm79 View Post
I've owned a Yamaha EF3000ISE, Champion 3100 Inverter, Firman 2100 Inverter, and now a Honda EU3000i. By far, the Yamaha and Honda are quieter than the Champion and Firman. I consider the Champion and Firmans the equivalent of a jack hammer when at full power compared with either the Honda or Yamaha. I'd prefer to pay the lower price but decided volume was worth the extra cost. That said I did like the Champion and had installed fuel pump and 12 gallon marine fuel tank for extended runtime. Wouldn't touch a Firman again.
I would say the difference between 57db (Honda) and 59db (Champion) must have been a pretty quiet jackhammer.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #14

Have a 3400 watt Champion Inverter gas only. We only use it once a year at a 3 day reunion of a bunch of people from a high school I attended back at the dawn of man. It has electric/remote start and I picked up a extended run cap that works off gravity feed and use a 6 gallon boat tank. Depending on the weather (reunion is in mid March in North Florida) I can usually last all 3 days on a full tank in the generator plus the 6 gallons. I have had it for around 5 years now and it fires right up every time.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #15

Every time I (not) hear a Honda, I marvel at it. There’s a reason they cost more. If they made them dual fuel I would have bought one.
Because of availability, I bought a Firman 3000/ 3300 dual fuel, and while so far it has been good, it is absolutely louder than a Honda. It runs my 13,500 btu ac with no mods. $850 from lowes using their credit card.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #16

I'm going to come at this from a different angle.

First off 3db is twice the volume and 10 dB is one hundred times the volume. Log of 10 is 1 * 10=10dB. Log of 100 is 2*10 is 20dB. See what I mean?

The Honda and Yamaha stuff can be sold years later at nearly the purchase price because they are that good.

Champion is made in China. If you don't know how it works I'll explain. They send out people to steal or copy plans or try to reverse engineer something. What you get is a product that works but you can't copy experience. For instance should we use this type of aluminum or gaskets and why?? How else do you think they could make it for 1/2 the price? Champion generators says they are "phone-engineered" in California but made in China. BS on that and what is "phone-engineered"?

Next the current Chinese President is like the re-incarnation of Chairman Mao. I know Chinese history because I'm married to a Chinese women. Many Chinese see this and it is scary. He has one goal and that is to take over the world at the expense of us in this country. Do you really want to support that?

The Chinese government controls everything and every product that is made the government is taking a piece of it. My father in law was the President of a huge company in China. He was the "Commercial President" and his counterpart was the "Party President" in other words the government still ran at least 50% of that company.

I will now tell you what is at stake in Taiwan which China thinks is theirs. Taiwan makes 50% of the worlds Semiconducters via a company called TSM, (Taiwan Semiconductor). China takes it over and they get all that business, the Fabs, and more importantly the people who design those chips and they are some of the best in the world.

Right now Apple, Intel and many other companies in Europe are scrambling to build fabs in the US and Europe. There is a bill before Congress to add $52B to help that take place.

I buy as little Chinese stuff as possible. Some plastic what ever I guess who cares but heavier industrial equipment semiconductors, etc then I'm out. I swear if I buy a light socket for my house it is so cheap that I think it is going to cause a fire.

So if you go on value then Honda and Yamaha are way more valuable maybe 10dB more valuable!!!
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
I would say the difference between 57db (Honda) and 59db (Champion) must have been a pretty quiet jackhammer.

Published numbers and real world experience are quite different. My friend's Champion 3100 inverter at 25' away and on the other side of his trailer is noticeably louder (from the vantage point of inside my trailer) than my Honda which is right next to my trailer. It might only be a 2dB difference on paper but my ears say otherwise.
firestorm_actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #18

thanks to all for their inputs, experiences, and advice.

I am waiting to hear from champion as to what percent load they quote 53dB, and if they quote the full rated load db level. the Honda EU2200i specs say 48dB at 25% load and 57dB at full rated load. I fully understand the logarithmic scale for dB levels.

if Honda made a 2000-ish watt gen for dual fuel I'd buy it in a minute.

Ken
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Might have heard one of the 3500W/4000/W open frame Champions that started becoming real popular when Champion "came to town" back around in the early 2000's. At the time they were one of the more quiet open frame generators and came from the factory with a 30 amp RV receptacle. At $300 they were very attractive to boondockers.

I find it interesting how people are able to discern the difference between generators by just using the human ear. Sound can be perceived differently by the human ear depending on the environment and "tone" which depends greatly on the engine speed. There's no standard for rating generator noise and a "rating" can vary differently from mfr to mfr. One may rate their sound level at 50% load and another at 25% load (idle essentially).

How many actually use a sound meter (not an "App") to measure campground generator noise levels.

Are the generators placed in the same position in regards to any sound reflecting surfaces? Are they out in the open with no sound reflectors? How about near sound absorbing surfaces like bushes, etc?

ALL generators make some noise. If one wants a silent source of electricity then consider installing solar, some LiFeP04 batteries, or just staying in an electric hookup site

When boondocking I MIGHT hear someone's generator in a distance but most times I do it's an open frame unit.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
The Honda and Yamaha stuff can be sold years later at nearly the purchase price because they are that good.

Champion is made in China. If you don't know how it works I'll explain. They send out people to steal or copy plans or try to reverse engineer something. What you get is a product that works but you can't copy experience. For instance should we use this type of aluminum or gaskets and why?? How else do you think they could make it for 1/2 the price? Champion generators says they are "phone-engineered" in California but made in China. BS on that and what is "phone-engineered"?
At least their "Marketing" claims they are that good.

As for the generators from numerous Chinese sources, the engines used are actually licensed clones of the basic Honda engine that's been around for decades. No stolen or reversed engineered plans involved. As for the electronics, A huge chance the computer you use to post on this site was made in China. The phone you carry in your pocket, made in China.

China has been manufacturing products for other countries for a long time and mainly because of the low labor cost. A "Dollar an Hour" wage in some countries may well produce a living wage where in this country the hourly wage would have to be 20-30+ times that.

As for quality? Proof is in the product's longevity.

Now if one just doesn't like the idea of something being made in China, it's their right to do so.

Tags
generator