Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

House batteries dead

I have a 2017 329DS, today I went out and pulled shore power. Always plugged in. Checked battery charge on panel shows 25% (1 dot). Went outside and hooked back up power and batter charger fan not on. Disconnected reconnected power several times hearing transfer box click every time. Then looked at charger and now fan on. After 30 minutes up to 2 dots on panel

What do you think it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D0778A00-A74A-4B9B-A75E-1B7D90477FE5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	229525   Click image for larger version

Name:	D58139C2-DAB6-4BA5-A5F2-4A21DA734E9E.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	229526  
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #2

Just a stab in the dark but if the ONLY thing you did was disconnect shore power and then reconnect after you noticed batteries low, it could have been an interruption in the shore power.

How did you disconnect it?

If by a circuit breaker it's possible it had tripped (reason unknown) and when you turned it back on you reset it.

If you pulled the plug, it's possible the plug was not fully inserted in the receptacle and when you plugged it in again the problem was cured. Also, check cord connection at the RV.

Your Converter is certainly a reliable Brand but they can fail. To check, disconnect battery while converter is on and check voltage at output terminals of converter. Should read OVER 13 volts, probably around 13.25 volts if operating correctly.

Just guesses on my part but just logical causes.

Good Luck.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #3

Thanks for response, I disconnected shore power by just disconnecting pulling plug. I was under the impression the transfer switch relay was just to transfer power between shore and generator. As I mentioned pulling power cable several times my charger fan started working So I guess transfer switch has nothing to do with my charger getting power. I only went with my thought thinking it was transfer switch because last year I had to pull it’s cover and push The trip rail because when I hooked up shore power the switch did not trip to shore power side. Pushed trip rail clicked and no issue power to coach. I need to figure out where does power come from to charger.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Transfer switches do what their name implies, transfer power from one source or another to your power distribution panel.

They're fairly simple devices that rely on as relay to work. Relays can often be a large PITA. Burnt contacts or failed solenoid coils.

The transfer switch coul well have been the problem.

A note on the converter(charger) fan. They don't run on that brand of converter unless the charging current is above a set threshold.

Don't expect it to run all the time. The only w AC y to know if the converter is working ia by reading the output voltage.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries

« wiring | Fuse info »