Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #1

House battery charging question? Charging batteries from two sources simultaneously

I have a basic question about charging my Lithium house batteries from 2 sources at the same time. If my batteries are being charged from my chasis alternator at 14.4 Volts while driving and my newly installed 300 Watt solar panels are also charging batteries at 14.4 volts as I drive, will batteries be damaged? My lithium Battery Isolation Manager (LI-BIM) connects directly to the batteries for 15 minutes then switches off, and the solar panels are connected to a 30Amp charge controller.
With 2 sources charging at 14.4 volts, are the batteries still being charged at a total of 14.4 volts but increased amps, or could this damage these expensive batteries?
Gidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:43 AM   #2

I sent you a PM with a question. But I have the same system with 300 watts of solar but I haven't changed the BIM yet or the converter charger to Lithium model. Both will be installed in the next month. My solar is charging 14.4 volts and when I push the charge wizard on my PD converter charger it charges also at 14.4v but only stays on that for 4 hours the drops down from boost mode to normal mode of 13.6v. I have forgotten to push the charge wizard a few times but my solar keeps it up to 14.4. Both the solar controller and the converter charger will figure it out and adjust their voltage and amps accordingly.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

If each charging source is regulated the batteries will take their charge from both sources. When battery voltage climbs to the set voltage of either charging system regulator, that source will shut down with the other stopping the charge soon after (due to slight differences in set voltages).

The batteries will accept only as much charge as they can and no damage will be done to them.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If each charging source is regulated the batteries will take their charge from both sources. When battery voltage climbs to the set voltage of either charging system regulator, that source will shut down with the other stopping the charge soon after (due to slight differences in set voltages).

The batteries will accept only as much charge as they can and no damage will be done to them.
Thanks , well put.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, charging