Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 12:00 AM   #1

How bad did I mess up ??

Hello folks. I own a 2014, 30’, Forest River Forester. I’m afraid I plugged my rv shoreline into a 2 pole, 30 amp breaker via a pigtail adapter. After a little while I lost power. I have full power when I switch to “batteries” at the battery control switch. But no power coming in from the shoreline. Can somebody tell me how bad I screwed up and where to start repair efforts ? Thank you !
holtfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #2

Was it 120v or 240?
Are you sure you didn’t just trip a breaker?
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:47 AM   #3

May help if you can provide info fluffywhitedogs requested or tell us what does not work right now and how you tested. I am curious what dogbone adaptor you are using...link or picture?

Some common follow up questions to these type of posts:
Was it 240v you plugged in to?
do you have 120v now?
What lights up what doesn't (microwave tv etc),
have you plugged anything else in to test like a fan or light that was not plugged in previously?
Do you have a generator or inverter you can try?
Do you have a Multimeter or test lights?
Have you swapped any fuses or reset any brakers since the incident?
Did you see or smell smoke?
How long were you plugged in?

If you plugged into 240v (this would have required a custom made dogbone or improper wired electrical receptical) you will likely need a new converter. Maybe a new microwave or just some fuses inside the microwave. Other AC (tv or appliances) items depending on how long and what was used. DC items will work until your battery dies from no charge as the converter is dead.

Lots of skilled folks here can help you but there will be lots of questions to help you out.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #4

Thanks for replying. This happened Saturday evening. I made the adaptor myself thinking it would be the same as hooking it up at rv park. Problem is, I plugged it into a 2 pole, 30 amp breaker which I’m pretty sure it’s 240v (which runs my Lincoln 225 welder). This afternoon after church I’ll post as much detail as possible as to what’s working and what’s not. Thank you so much ?
Old 03-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

Arrgh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtfarm View Post
Thanks for replying. This happened Saturday evening. I made the adaptor myself thinking it would be the same as hooking it up at rv park. Problem is, I plugged it into a 2 pole, 30 amp breaker which I’m pretty sure it’s 240v (which runs my Lincoln 225 welder). This afternoon after church I’ll post as much detail as possible as to what’s working and what’s not. Thank you so much ?
Okay, the 30 amp outlet/plug for an RV outlet has three contacts:
  • 120 volt hot
  • 120 volt neutral
  • Ground
They look similar to the 240 volt outlets for dryer/range/etc. (including welders), but they are NOT the same. They are 120vac at all the RV parks. This is why you couldn't find an adapter and had to make your own.

You will most likely have to replace :
  • The converter (converts 120vac to 12vdc for lights, vent fans, range hood, battery charger). Buy just the guts, not the whole thing. It's easier and cheaper to change.
  • Possibly the microwave--just have to try it and see.
  • Possibly the TV(s)--just have to try them.
  • Possibly the element in the water heater--fortunately it's cheap. Need the special wrench, too.
  • Possibly the refrigerator--just have to try it.
  • Possibly the GFI outlet--just have to try it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #6

Following this to see result. Best of luck.
Hope you didn't let the smoke out of the wires.LOL
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #7

Hello again. I’m back at trying to figure this out. Thanks to all who replied! So everything appears to be good to the converter. I tested the wires with a voltage detecter stick. But voltage does not appear to be coming out of converter. The microwave seems to be the only appliance to be acting up. There was no damage or melting or smell at breakers or converter. Also the batteries look good, and everything except the microwave works while the generator is running. Did I understand that it’s just as easy to replace parts of the converter and not the entire unit? Hopefully I’ll be back up and running after converter and micro. You guys were great! Thank You !!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Most likely you dodged a major bullet as only things that were "on" got hit.

Replacing the converter (part of the power panel) is not for the faint of heart as you will be working inside the panel. You might find a YouTube to watch to see if this is something you want to tackle.

If you have a dual power fridge, (and it was ON) you most likely smoked the AC circuits and AC heater element.

This is what your converter board most likely looks like.

Your first step is to replace this and then function check all AC items.

Air conditioner(s)

Microwave

Fridge on AC

Inverter if you have a bypass/charger type (found on residential type refrigerators

AC side of water heater

All outlets functioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user18093_pic2669_1317263350.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	224788   Click image for larger version

Name:	user18093_pic2670_1317263350.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	224789   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130915_222135.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	224790   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130915_222112.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	224791  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #9

If you dodged the bullet

Be sure to check the GFI plug in the bathroom. It may have popped and saved the entire shooting match.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Hello again. I’m back at trying to figure this out. Thanks to all who replied! So everything appears to be good to the converter. I tested the wires with a voltage detecter stick. But voltage does not appear to be coming out of converter. The microwave seems to be the only appliance to be acting up. There was no damage or melting or smell at breakers or converter. Also the batteries look good, and everything except the microwave works while the generator is running. Did I understand that it’s just as easy to replace parts of the converter and not the entire unit? Hopefully I’ll be back up and running after converter and micro. You guys were great! Thank You !!
You can count on replacing the converter, but look at the bright side...now you can upgrade to a better converter! Progressive Dynamics is a popular choice, and there are other options as well, but might as well get something better than the stock item. Replacing it is pretty basic, YouTube will definitely be your friend here.
What is the microwave doing? If it doesn't run at all then you might have just tripped a breaker. Anything else probably means a new oven.
This is very important! Be for you do anything else, inspect the entire length of wire from the shore power receptacle to the converter, at least as much as you can gain access to. You especially need to check where the wires attach to the external receptacle itself. There's a good chance you'll find some serious burning damage there, even though it's still testing OK. Damage here can overheat quickly and cause a serious fire.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Overvoltage is not quite the same as over-amperage. 120 volt Romex cable used in homes/RVs is "rated" to 300 volts. It is the appliances and components (the devices that use that voltage), that bear the brunt of over voltage.

That being said, a complete wiring inspection (to the extent possible) is certainly warranted. A fire in an RV is not something on which to take a chance.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #12

Yes Sir. I hope to replace converter today. Then run check on all the AC items. Micro is fried. Thank You !
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #13

Yes Sir. I’ll definitely check my wiring again. Thanks !!

And thanks again to all you guys for replying ! I will post an update after I replace converter and microwave and check all the other AC items.

Too bad I didn’t ask you guys about my idea to make my own pigtail adapter !!! Lesson learned ; )
Old 03-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #14

Good luck Sir, my boss did the exact same you did in his motorhome. If I recall the only things he had replaced were the converter and the microwave. Everything else survived.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Yes Sir. I’ll definitely check my wiring again. Thanks !!

And thanks again to all you guys for replying ! I will post an update after I replace converter and microwave and check all the other AC items.

Too bad I didn’t ask you guys about my idea to make my own pigtail adapter !!! Lesson learned ; )
check the converter see if you have fuses in it mine have the auto type spade type.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #16

Yes Sir. I did check the 2 fuses in the back. They were both in tact and fine. The funny thing is that they seemed “positional” in that when I pulled them out, and then while stabbing them back in the converter would come on and run For 4 seconds and them go off again. I figure it’s a glitch from being fried. Thanks !!
Old 03-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #17

You MAY be able to have the microwave repaired. Sometimes it's just a fuse inside but many times the bench fee is half of the cost of new. I would just take the opportunity to upgrade to a convection oven or replace. If you don't know exactly what you are doing I would not recommend you do it yourself.

Just a thought for the future is an EMS. It would prevent things like this in the future...expensive but worth the money for the prevention and protection.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #18

Lots of good advice for you here, this forum is one of the better ones.
Most important: DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP OVER THIS! I doubt you'll find one person on this forum that hasn't had their share of "what the ×&#! did I just do!" moments. If the damage is as limited as it appears to be, then you got out pretty lucky.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #19

Wow !! Got Lucky !!

Well ,, It appears Lady Luck was in my corner on this one ! I replaced the converter and microwave, $210.00 total damage. All other systems, plugs, lights,,,,, everything works ! Even the AC element in the water heater ! I dodged a huge bullet, learned a good lesson and am very thankful for the big man upstairs and for all you guys that helped me out with your advise and input !!! Thank all of you soooo much !!! Safe travels and God bless !!!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #20

Woohoo! Awesome!!!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote