Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #1

How do I rewire an outlet to run with the inverter turned on?

The outlet my tv is plugged into isn't wired to the inverter. So what Ive been doing is running my generator or using a extension cord to plug the tv into an outlet that is wired to the inverter.
Can it be easily done? Can a moron like me be capable? We boondocks almost exclusively so id like to do this.
Or is it easier to buy a 12v tv?
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #2

We do a lot of boondocking as well. My trailer did not come with an inverter. So, I added one. I bought an outlet (through Amazon) with a pre-wired extension cord and plugged it in to my inverter. I installed the new outlet in the cabinet below the TV. The new inverter is also located inside the cabinet behind my converter.

In your case, I do not believe you can rewire a 110v RV outlet (because they are not residential outlets) to work with your inverter.

Before I installed the inverter, I bought a cheap 150 watt 12v accessory inverter as I had a 12v outlet close to the TV.

Hope this helps!
BD Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #3

would be difficult to do since the wiring is inside the walls and the outlets are daisy chained. are the inverter outlets on a separate circuit from the rest? Is there an inverter connected outlet close by?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #4

I just plug the trailer into the inverter that way all the outlets are hot, just remember to turn off the converter beforehand.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
I just plug the trailer into the inverter that way all the outlets are hot, just remember to turn off the converter beforehand.
I nominate latner for the kiss solution of the day.

Just shut off any breakers you don't want to power.
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack_Camper View Post
The outlet my tv is plugged into isn't wired to the inverter. So what Ive been doing is running my generator or using a extension cord to plug the tv into an outlet that is wired to the inverter.
Can it be easily done? Can a moron like me be capable? We boondocks almost exclusively so id like to do this.
How far away is the closest outlet that is on the inverter ? will have to look at ways to run the wire from TV plug to inverter run outlet and determine best route for wiring or is the inverter closer to the TV . many options to accomplish what you want
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Wow, you run an extension cord from the inverter powered through a door or window to plug the trailer into?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack_Camper View Post
If there is 12 volts available that close to the TV, then I would think that a small, like 150 watt inverter just for the TV would be an easy solution. I have a 300 watt inverter mounted in my entertainment center that runs the TV, a ROKU box, and a Raspberry Pi media server.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #9

On this topic of running TVs off inverters, how bad is it for the TV to use a modified sine wave inverter? It is all I have right now.

2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS
2019 Ford F150 Super Crew 3.5 Eco Boost Max Tow Package
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracto View Post
On this topic of running TVs off inverters, how bad is it for the TV to use a modified sine wave inverter? It is all I have right now.
Mine runs just fine on a cheap, Harbor Freight, 300 watt modified sine wave inverter.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:08 PM   #11

TV Power

I find the easier thing is to use a 30A to 15A adapter so the RV power cord will plug into the inverter.

NOW with that said, one will want to flip the breaker on the converter circuit to off. And one will want to be careful what is plugged in and switched on elsewhere in the RV. Thus all of the lights and outlets will be served by the Inverter. This may require a larger wattage inverter, but little to no wiring or modification, or switching is needed.

Just pay attention to power management and to battery voltage. NEVER let the battery drop below 11.9 volts.

We have a 750-watt pure sine wave inverter installed very close to the TT battery. Works just great for us.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Wow, you run an extension cord from the inverter powered through a door or window to plug the trailer into?
No, my inverter is mounted on the frame near the batteries when I need to use it, making it easy to plug the trailer into, then removed and stored when moving.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
I find the easier thing is to use a 30A to 15A adapter so the RV power cord will plug into the inverter.

NOW with that said, one will want to flip the breaker on the converter circuit to off. And one will want to be careful what is plugged in and switched on elsewhere in the RV. Thus all of the lights and outlets will be served by the Inverter. This may require a larger wattage inverter, but little to no wiring or modification, or switching is needed.

Just pay attention to power management and to battery voltage. NEVER let the battery drop below 11.9 volts.

We have a 750-watt pure sine wave inverter installed very close to the TT battery. Works just great for us.
X2

We use a 2000w mainly to make coffee early AM so not to disturb neighbors with the genny.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Thus all of the lights and outlets will be served by the Inverter.
That's weird....my lights are 12 volt DC. I thought all RV lights were 12 volt DC except for plug in table tamps.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Same here. Bought a 2kw Renogy inverter and direct wired a 30 amp RV cord end with 10-3 SO cord -(heavy like shore power cord).

When I want 120 V AC I merely plug my shore power cird into the cird end from inverter and turn off converter, A/C, and water heater breakers.

Inverter is right next to my batteries with 2/0 cable.

This way I can run TV, DVD player, and use microwave to make popcorn or coffee if I want.

Note: I actuslly have three inverters I've accumulated over the years. A 300w, a 650 watt, and the 2000 watt. I have the option of using the smallest inverter for the task at hand to lessen the iverhead current or just plugging into large inverter and prividing whole house 120vac to all outlets and desired appliances

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:30 PM   #16

IMHO if you have to ask this question, you shouldn’t try it.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Nomad View Post
We do a lot of boondocking as well. My trailer did not come with an inverter. So, I added one. I bought an outlet (through Amazon) with a pre-wired extension cord and plugged it in to my inverter. I installed the new outlet in the cabinet below the TV. The new inverter is also located inside the cabinet behind my converter.

In your case, I do not believe you can rewire a 110v RV outlet (because they are not residential outlets) to work with your inverter.

Before I installed the inverter, I bought a cheap 150 watt 12v accessory inverter as I had a 12v outlet close to the TV.

Hope this helps!
Thanks
Weigh-Safe WDH
Old 06-21-2022, 05:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
How far away is the closest outlet that is on the inverter ? will have to look at ways to run the wire from TV plug to inverter run outlet and determine best route for wiring or is the inverter closer to the TV . many options to accomplish what you want
The closest outlet on the inverter is about 8'-10' away, its above the sink in the backsplash. There is a closer one but its in the bathroom.
Weigh-Safe WDH
Old 06-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #19

Don't forget to switch off "Auto" on the 2-way refrigerator and, if you have one, the outdoor refrigerator.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:11 PM   #20

Quote:

I don't think I could do this with 2 young boys, they might be turning on and off things randomly. Though a good idea if I can be in charge of what on and off.
Weigh-Safe WDH

Tags
inverter, wire