Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

How to change bulbs??

I was hoping to change out my interior lights for LEDs but I can't figure out how to get to the bulb! Can anyone give me some suggestions? Anytime I try pulling or twisting on the cover I feel like something may break.

Happy 4th to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2519292613.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	34573   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-764644682.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	34574  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Best I can tell from the picture, I believe those twist off. Looking up, turn counter clockwise and the glass portion comes off. It does feel like you're going to break something. Some come off easier than others. I didn't mess with mine too much until after I played with one in the store.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
I was hoping to change out my interior lights for LEDs but I can't figure out how to get to the bulb! Can anyone give me some suggestions? Anytime I try pulling or twisting on the cover I feel like something may break.

Happy 4th to all!
As the old saying goes...been there done that Darn thing drove me nuts.

I had the same problem, The glass cover will screw off..just a turn will remove it. I ended up taking the whole fixture out of the hole it's mounted in, it's in there with a couple spring snaps, they do make LED's to replace the light bulb with.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #4

Well...tried unscrewing my bulbs, but they just spin. Any other suggestions. I tried prying some, but that didn't do it either. I'm baffled!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Well...tried unscrewing my bulbs, but they just spin. Any other suggestions. I tried prying some, but that didn't do it either. I'm baffled!
You said "tried unscrewing the bulbs"... Those bulbs are the little wire ends that stick into little holes inside the light fixture. That's why I take the whole fixture down and the electrical wires are long enough where you can get it down where you can see it to line those little wires up to slide in. The bulbs don't screw in.. Hoping your are like mine, I thought you needed help getting those stubborn fixtures out of the ceiling. Are we on the right page?

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

If it has the old 1156 type bulb and you can turn the globe, the bulb is junk and you will have to go ahead and twist it until the globe comes out and then make sure the power is off and get a pr of needle nose pliers and remove the brass bass of the bulb by pressing in and turning.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
You aren't unscrewing the "bulbs" but rather the frosted lens. I think your fingers are slipping but the lens isn't turning. Try a piece of shelf lining of soft rubber like material. You need a non damaging friction surface to aid the turning of that lens. I've go a few in here I have not broken free yet! Anyway with light tapping and turning it will break free and come down into you hand. The bulb is most likely a bi pin halogen, 10 or 20 watt. Don not increase the power cause they emit a lot of heat. They pull out at a angle, one you see the bulb base you see this. If you go back with them, clean glass of bulb and handle with a soft cloth. They operated at very high temp and will last longer if put in clean.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Oops, I said bulb but meant the frosted lens cover. I keep turning and turning but it doesn't seem to want to come off. About how many revolutions should it take? I've already gone about 3 or so revolutions.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Oops, I said bulb but meant the frosted lens cover. I keep turning and turning but it doesn't seem to want to come off. About how many revolutions should it take? I've already gone about 3 or so revolutions.
Just a little turn, it has a lip and a notch. Just turn it a bit and pop it off. It could be stuck, the whole thing, base and cover will pop out of the hole, then you can get a hold of it and pull it off. After you get one off, you'll see how it works.. I know it's a pain in the butt. Stick with it and you'll win.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

I put led bulbs in my unit and I just grabbed the frosted cover with my fingers and pulled them straight down to remove. Some of the covers are in there tight.
Good luck
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote