RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
On a different note, today I will be wiring in my new transfer tank pump, I am trying to decide where to wire it to. Thinking about putting clips, like charging type,on end of the wire,and an other deep cycle batt,in a batt box,and charge as needed. Or I am wondering if I could wire it to a trailer plug,using brake pin as hot, The pump came with (I think) enough wire to go to one of the trucks batts.or the fuse box in engine compartment. What would you recommend ?

Thanks!
Ty
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,872
So,

Gas or diesel?

Since it is a fuel transfer pump will the engine will be off or on when you are doing the transfer? (live transfer going down the road or stopped at a rest area?)
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
So,

Gas or diesel?

Since it is a fuel transfer pump will the engine will be off or on when you are doing the transfer? (live transfer going down the road or stopped at a rest area?)
Diesel,and not fueling in motion. Bought a 100gal. tank,but I am going to take it back out,and use for some thing else,and get a 35 gal. because it takes less bed space.and less weight.
My reasoning is while at yellowstone,I understand how large the park is,so I will not be leaving to get fuel,I assume,they (gas stations) know this,and diesel may be $7+ gal. I know the cost of the tank,and pump,probably,exceeds extra cost of fuel,but just tryn to be the Boy Scout.
Thanks !
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
I wired mine to a 7 pin connector works very well! I wired mine to the battery charge line, and one to ground and I think mine might be 10 guage.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
Diesel,and not fueling in motion. Bought a 100gal. tank,but I am going to take it back out,and use for some thing else,and get a 35 gal. because it takes less bed space.and less weight.
My reasoning is while at yellowstone,I understand how large the park is,so I will not be leaving to get fuel,I assume,they (gas stations) know this,and diesel may be $7+ gal. I know the cost of the tank,and pump,probably,exceeds extra cost of fuel,but just tryn to be the Boy Scout.
Thanks !
So, truck idling is OK.

Then the simple answer is to use the Bargman plug accessory 12 VDC charge line to power the 12 VDC diesel pump. The Bargman is only hot with the engine running. I would never suggest this with gasoline.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
On another note, my pump and tank, are warning placarded for diesel only! You will need a heavier guage wire from bargman connector to battery as I have blown the inline fuse on the pump wiring on a hot day and long transfer!
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Ok I looked at bargman on line.saw lots of different plugs and adapters,but I am confused,will I be looking for a trailer 7pin male, or a specialized one ? Can I use a male 4-7pin wired to pump,and plugged to truck 7or4. Or should I run wire from batt to a female plug mounted in bed,then add a male to pump wire ?
The wire that came with pump looks to be may be 14 ga. stranded,with a sheath. I've not yet cut sheath to see for sure.
Thanks again !to both of you!
Ty
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
On another note, my pump and tank, are warning placarded for diesel only! You will need a heavier guage wire from bargman connector to battery as I have blown the inline fuse on the pump wiring on a hot day and long transfer!
Good point. In that case the clip on to the battery directly might be better.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
The destructions say to connect directly to battery with fuse in line.

Also the duty cycle is 15min on 30min off, to cool.in theory, at 8gpm, 15 min should pump 120gal.as I will be using a 35 gal tank,I think this will not be an over heating issue. The supplied power cord is long enough to reach ether,the truck batt or camper batts.this being the case,I think I might use a charger type clip,and only attach when needed.or I may still purchase another deep cycle batt,put in batt box,screw box to trk bed,and use strictly for pump,problem being,charging. Argh !
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
Ok I looked at bargman on line.saw lots of different plugs and adapters,but I am confused,will I be looking for a trailer 7pin male, or a specialized one ? Can I use a male 4-7pin wired to pump,and plugged to truck 7or4. Or should I run wire from batt to a female plug mounted in bed,then add a male to pump wire ?
The wire that came with pump looks to be may be 14 ga. stranded,with a sheath. I've not yet cut sheath to see for sure.
Thanks again !to both of you!
Ty
I used the same 7 pin connector that's on your trailer, except I only used the two pins for the pump, the hot battery charge circuit and the ground! For me a lot easier than using battery clips and the long wire run and opening/closing hood each time.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
The destructions say to connect directly to battery with fuse in line.

Also the duty cycle is 15min on 30min off, to cool.in theory, at 8gpm, 15 min should pump 120gal.as I will be using a 35 gal tank,I think this will not be an over heating issue. The supplied power cord is long enough to reach ether,the truck batt or camper batts.this being the case,I think I might use a charger type clip,and only attach when needed.or I may still purchase another deep cycle batt,put in batt box,screw box to trk bed,and use strictly for pump,problem being,charging. Argh !
I have a 35 gal tank as well. I also have a filter (spin on) on the outlet of the pump which probably increases flow resistance somewhat and after fueling for a length of time I've had a fuse blow. I've probably fueled 50 times and fuse blew maybe twice three at most! Carry a few spares! The battery in the bed of the truck can also be charged from the truck, slowly but it will be charged! Your call!
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post

I used the same 7 pin connector that's on your trailer, except I only used the two pins for the pump, the hot battery charge circuit and the ground! For me a lot easier than using battery clips and the long wire run and opening/closing hood each time.
Thanks prairiecamper !
The 7 pin does sound like a good idea,I thought the wire for pump looked about the same size.and the hood thing did seem inconvenient. Tomorrow I will swap out tanks,and then decide about wiring . Do you use the tank for work or camping or both ?
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
Thanks prairiecamper !
The 7 pin does sound like a good idea,I thought the wire for pump looked about the same size.and the hood thing did seem inconvenient. Tomorrow I will swap out tanks,and then decide about wiring . Do you use the tank for work or camping or both ?
Truck is used mostly for camping and long RV trips, where it is most convenient!
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1313284585.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	30410

Swapped out tanks today,removed 100 gal, installed 35 gal. Much better fit.
Wed. I will finish wiring.
Thanks for all the advice !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1232510196.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	30409  
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.