Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

I turned my air conditioner and nothing happened...why?

I turned off my three electric heaters, went to the thermostat and set the temp, put the fan on high and put it on cool...then went over and through on the 20 amp breaker for the AC. Nothing came on.
I clicked the breaker on and off several times, but nothing happened. I did the same with the thermostat switches.
I don't understand why nothing's working. Even if the AC (air conditioner) wasn't working, the fan should still run.
I have a 1995 Coachmen Royal 360RK 5th wheel camper.
Help!!
I have two 30 amp cords coming into the electrical panel, and a 20 amp breaker for the AC, and three 15 amp breakers...two for the camper and one for the microwave.
gcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #2

Most AC units have a time delay and turning a breaker on and off will not help anything. have you actually checked to see if there is power to the breaker? I would leave the fan in the auto position and set the temp well below room temp the delay on a AC can take some time. Not sure I understand the two 30 amp cords are you plugged into two different power sources?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most AC units have a time delay and turning a breaker on and off will not help anything. have you actually checked to see if there is power to the breaker? I would leave the fan in the auto position and set the temp well below room temp the delay on a AC can take some time. Not sure I understand the two 30 amp cords are you plugged into two different power sources?
my guess would be it's over 30' to the ped like mine is. I use 2 30' 30 amp cords.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #4

A/C time delay can last 10 min. It resets every time your unit looses power.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #5

I have two 30 amp cords that are wired into the fuse panel, but the distance to my outside electrical panel is 75 feet. That may be the reason that the A/C doesn't come on, but the fan should blow anyway and it doesn't.
All the other electrical outlets and devices work fine. I have three electric infrared heaters for heat instead of using propane. I should also tell you that I live here year-round.
I was a demolition contractor for 40+ years and got several calls from insurance adjusters to cleanup destroyed trailers because the propane tanks blew up, so I only use propane during times when the power goes out.
My two car batteries for the 12 volt system in the camper were stolen last month (nice people!) and haven't been replaced yet. Will that cause the problem?
Also, I haven't waited 10 minutes for the delay to kick in that I know of.
Thanks for the info! Please post more...
Old 03-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #6

I figured out that the two 30 amp cords that are wired into the panel box are setup to run the two separate sides of the camper, which is nice.
I can run a heater on each side's outlets and only have to turn off heater on the side with the fridge when I use the microwave or the coffeemaker...never both.
The weird thing is that when I forget, the breaker outside in the electrical panel goes off as well as the one inside too...it shouldn't.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
Site Team

Does this mean that you solved the problem with the A/C? Sounds like it.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #8

no, I haven't yet. I'll figure it out shortly.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #9

T-stat requires 12 volt
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
T-stat requires 12 volt
thank you, that's what I thought!
When I was Googling around last night, one of the posts had said that, but I wasn't sure because it was for RV's (motorhomes).
Old 03-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcharles View Post
thank you, that's what I thought!
When I Googling around last night, one of the posts had said that, but I wasn't sure because it was for RV's (motorhomes).
The term RV is uses for travel trailers, popups, 5th wheels, truck campers and Motorhomes. They are all Recreational Vehicles.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #12

air conditioner not working

I had a rodent chew wires in roof unit. Easy fix when I found it.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #13

Question: will my A/C work even if the thermostat doesn't?

Since I won't have the thermostat working until I get the two batteries hooked up, I can't turn the 'cool' setting on. Will that keep the A/C from coming on?
Old 03-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Question: will my A/C work even if the thermostat doesn't?

Since I won't have the thermostat working until I get the two batteries hooked up, I can't turn the 'cool' setting on. Will that keep the A/C from coming on?
Question #1 - No.
Question #2 - yes.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Question #1 - No.
Question #2 - yes.
BTW, I started in my father's scrap metal recovery/dismantling business then added demolition to it. My father always said that if you know the metals business, you'll never go broke.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #16

Most RV thermostats that control BOTH the A/C and the propane heater will be powered by the 12 volt system, as that allows control of the heat even when no 120 volt service is available.

You should be getting 12 volts from your converter/charger as long as you are plugged in to 120 volts, and that should power the thermostat even without batteries. Make sure that the positive battery cables are not shorting out to ground, as that will shut down the 12 volt circuits.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #17

Well, I got two deep cycle batteries, installed them after cleaning the terminals, came inside, turned on the thermostat (temp, fan and cool) and the A/C breaker, and again, nothing happened. My friend brought his circuit tester in and tested each circuit on the thermostat, and couldn't get anything to happen. We waited for 30 minutes for it to kick on (delays working) and still nothing happened. Next, my cousin, an electrician that also has an HVAC business, is going to come here and check the system.
BTW, the heat didn't come on either.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #18

Quote: 'I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.'
Old 03-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The term RV is uses for travel trailers, popups, 5th wheels, truck campers and Motorhomes. They are all Recreational Vehicles.
Damn, Somebody understands!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	224944
Old 03-10-2020, 11:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Well, I got two deep cycle batteries, installed them after cleaning the terminals, came inside, turned on the thermostat (temp, fan and cool) and the A/C breaker, and again, nothing happened. My friend brought his circuit tester in and tested each circuit on the thermostat, and couldn't get anything to happen. We waited for 30 minutes for it to kick on (delays working) and still nothing happened. Next, my cousin, an electrician that also has an HVAC business, is going to come here and check the system.
BTW, the heat didn't come on either.
Do you have 120 volts at the shore power?? How are you plugging in 2- 30 amp cords?? How are 2- 30 amp cords wired into your RV panel

Tags
air conditioner