Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
Always Learning

Inexpensive 1000W inverter?

I'm looking at building a small battery backup system for my house. Something that'll let me run just a couple of things - fridge, CPAP machine, a fan or three, and our Sleep Number bed. I run these things off of a 1000W inverter in the RV. It might be a little over kill, but I'm cool like that.

I've already got a pair of AGM batteries that a buddy gifted me (he was going fulltime again and needed them out of his garage- it was a win/win!).

In the RV, I happened to pickup a Xantrex inverter off of the classifieds here.

Does anyone have any model recommendations (cheap is good, very cheap is better)?
Old 10-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #2

I've had a Jackery 500w Inverter on my Amazon wish list for a few months, but they also make a highly rated 1000w. They also have optional solar panels to keep charged.

Just checked and there is a 1000w package with 2 solar panels for $1500 (there's also a $100 coupon available right now. https://smile.amazon.com/Jackery-Gen...dp/B08P2Q83BY/

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:50 AM   #3

I have had the 600w version of this for a few years, accidently left it on for several weeks in storage one time. Still works like a charm.

Decided to upgrade to a 1200w to run a small coffee pot. It was on sale a few months back for $160 i think.

https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-1200...s%2C337&sr=8-7
Old 10-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
I've had a Jackery 500w Inverter on my Amazon wish list for a few months, but they also make a highly rated 1000w. They also have optional solar panels to keep charged.

Just checked and there is a 1000w package with 2 solar panels for $1500 (there's also a $100 coupon available right now. https://smile.amazon.com/Jackery-Gen...dp/B08P2Q83BY/
Unfortunately I've learned no solar panels and that's pretty far beyond my "inexpensive" hopes.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
I have had the 600w version of this for a few years, accidently left it on for several weeks in storage one time. Still works like a charm.

Decided to upgrade to a 1200w to run a small coffee pot. It was on sale a few months back for $160 i think.

https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-1200...s%2C337&sr=8-7
I like that price. You've been happy with it?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #6

Check out harbor freight tools, many sizes to choose from all work pretty good. I have a similar thing at home with a couple solar panels on the roof, a charge controller, a battery and an inverter. Works great.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1_131 View Post
Check out harbor freight tools, many sizes to choose from all work pretty good. I have a similar thing at home with a couple solar panels on the roof, a charge controller, a battery and an inverter. Works great.
Ahh, didn't even think of HF. I just think of them for cheap tools. I wish we were allowed solar but apparently it's disallowed in the community. I'd have to do some suitcase panels and set them up during an extended power outage (which, knocks on wood, we haven't had yet- just a few hours and usually at night).
Old 10-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm looking at building a small battery backup system for my house. Something that'll let me run just a couple of things - fridge, CPAP machine, a fan or three, and our Sleep Number bed. I run these things off of a 1000W inverter in the RV. It might be a little over kill, but I'm cool like that.

I've already got a pair of AGM batteries that a buddy gifted me (he was going fulltime again and needed them out of his garage- it was a win/win!).

In the RV, I happened to pickup a Xantrex inverter off of the classifieds here.

Does anyone have any model recommendations (cheap is good, very cheap is better)?
The rule of thumb for inverter watts to amps is watts/10. So if you were running the 1000w inverter at 1000w you would need 100 amp 12v service. That is about 1 hour from a pair of AGM batteries before damaging them. Drawing 500 watts load would be about 2 hours before damaging a pair of AGM batteries.

For house backup power, why not use a generator instead?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Check eBay for a used battery backup system. They usually end up there cheap because nobody wants to change the batteries. Most use 24 volt batteries but two 12 volt in series will work. The output is typically a pure sine wave. Bonus is they will charge the batteries as well.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Ahh, didn't even think of HF. I just think of them for cheap tools. I wish we were allowed solar but apparently it's disallowed in the community. I'd have to do some suitcase panels and set them up during an extended power outage (which, knocks on wood, we haven't had yet- just a few hours and usually at night).
HF, at least last time I looked, does not have any true sine wave inverters, which you really need for most of what you want to power.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't know if this is true or not but you should look into this. I was talking to a guy who was once head of his HOA. Some one wanted to do solar and the "karens" and others complained. He looked into it and determined that federal law allows solar and other things to be install regardless of local, HOA, other restrictions. The people wanted to sue and he said we could try, but we would lose. So the solar went up.

The story being that I think you can not be stopped from doing solar.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
For house backup power, why not use a generator instead?
So far, our power outages have been measured in a 3-5 hours at the most, though most are 1 hour or less. I'll eventually get a generator for longer outages but for now, I'd rather not revert to that in the event of a short outage.

Plus, I got the batteries for free. I need to go take pictures of what they are + their AH stats.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I don't know if this is true or not but you should look into this. I was talking to a guy who was once head of his HOA. Some one wanted to do solar and the "karens" and others complained. He looked into it and determined that federal law allows solar and other things to be install regardless of local, HOA, other restrictions. The people wanted to sue and he said we could try, but we would lose. So the solar went up.

The story being that I think you can not be stopped from doing solar.

Jim M.
Interesting thought there. Unfortunately, I'm on a land lease and a manufactured home (think: high class trailer park). They have us by the nuts most of the time. (But, that's why I also bought in this particular development- it's well/strictly maintained and has the appearances that I'm after. It's a give/take kind of thing.)
Old 10-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Check eBay for a used battery backup system. They usually end up there cheap because nobody wants to change the batteries. Most use 24 volt batteries but two 12 volt in series will work. The output is typically a pure sine wave. Bonus is they will charge the batteries as well.
Ahh, I've seen a few come across FB marketplace but figured I'd just build the system up piece by piece.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Unfortunately I've learned no solar panels and that's pretty far beyond my "inexpensive" hopes.
They don't require solar, they can be charged via 12v connector or by your home power and then sit ready for use. The prices on the 500w and below are pretty reasonable, but I can understand it still being high. I think the HF ones mentioned by another member also plug into your home outlets and stand ready.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter