Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #21

Why cant people just follow instructions? Manufactures give instructions for a reason, not to screw with people!
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I have a Victron Orion Smart DC-DC charger and it also has the engine detect option to automatically turn the charger on/off. You can also manually control it through the phone app. No sensing wire required with ours and the automatic function works great.
Any chance you have a link to the one you're using?
Old 04-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Any chance you have a link to the one you're using?
Yep, I'm using the 12/12-18 and actually get right at 25A to the batteries because Victron told me they "underrated" them slightly.

I am running the +/- directly from one of our truck's batteries to the primary side of the charger, but on the load side I'm using the trailer chassis as the negative and it works great. I say this because they sell an "isolated" like I'm using and a non-isolated and it's a little confusing. I thought on the non isolated you could use the truck chassis for the negative, but I'm not 100% certain.

Be aware that they also make a smart (Bluetooth) and standard versions.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...50-400W-EN.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...60-400W-EN.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Orion.../dp/B0851TPKV7

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Did you use loom sheathing for your wires from the TV battery to your rear Anderson connector? I have seen it done with and without loom in videos.
The marine duplex wire has a heavy duty sheath that is also flame resistant (marine requirement) so I didn't feel loom was required.

The wire I purchased was white but there are sources that sell it in all kinds of colors.

If I used separate wires I'd definitely install in loom.

BTW, the wire I used is available from numerous online sources for around $1/ft. I bought mine from West Marine (store near me) for just a little more but no shipping as well as no waiting. My total run, including trailer end, was ~30 feet.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
Why cant people just follow instructions? Manufactures give instructions for a reason, not to screw with people!
MFGs give instructions in such a way that limits their liability as well as to be as generic/universal as possible, so they are not always required to be followed from a technical/engineering/scientific standpoint. It's just easier to give a single set of instructions

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
MFGs give instructions in such a way that limits their liability as well as to be as generic/universal as possible, so they are not always required to be followed from a technical/engineering/scientific standpoint. It's just easier to give a single set of instructions
And most times they issue instructions based on their own engineering and testing results.

Of course once the customer has paid for and received the product they can do whatever they want with it. Some will be successful, some not so much. If one follows the instructions than problems can legitimately be blamed on the Mfr and they can seek warranty relief. The rest? Not so much.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #27
TGR

I suspect that Renogy requires a separate ground wire from the battery to their DC to DC converter to prevent a poor connection on the heavy ground wire from having another electrical path back to the tow vehicle battery. If the heavy ground wire had a poor connection or became disconnected from the battery but a smaller ground circuit path still existed, then a current load greater than the smaller ground wire could support might cause a fire. Using the chassis to carry the ground current will cause the same problem. The same situation exists in the circuit between the converter and trailer batteries.

Renolgy doesn’t say to isolate the ground wire. They only say to use dedicated wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renogy Wiring Diagram.JPG
Views:	2486
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	250978  
Old 04-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #28

If I fully understand what the OP is asking, I think this Redarc does exactly what he wants.
https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Cha...BCDC1240D.html

It seems to me to have better features also, but along with this comes a higher price. Cheaper on Amazon.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The marine duplex wire has a heavy duty sheath that is also flame resistant (marine requirement) so I didn't feel loom was required.

The wire I purchased was white but there are sources that sell it in all kinds of colors.

If I used separate wires I'd definitely install in loom.

BTW, the wire I used is available from numerous online sources for around $1/ft. I bought mine from West Marine (store near me) for just a little more but no shipping as well as no waiting. My total run, including trailer end, was ~30 feet.
That would have been the way to go for me, but unfortunately I already bought the 4 awg individual wires.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
If I fully understand what the OP is asking, I think this Redarc does exactly what he wants.
https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Cha...BCDC1240D.html

It seems to me to have better features also, but along with this comes a higher price. Cheaper on Amazon.
What makes this unit that much better than other dc-dc units? (two-three times the price)
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #31

Quote:
What makes this unit that much better than other dc-dc units? (two-three times the price)
I was comparing it to my Renogy 50amp DC-DC MPPT Controller (Sorry about that). My analysis was a quick one, but here goes.

1. It is a 12/24volt system. It will take 24 volts and convert to 12 volts
2. It has a algorithm that proportions the ratio of input between solar and alternator that favors green solar versus the (carbon) alternator.
3. You can jump your vehicle battery (in some cases) if necessary.
4. you only need to run the power cable between TV and TT.
5. I believe the Renogy 50amp model MPPT controller sells for around 280 and this one sells for 380 or so on Amazon.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #32

Quote:
The Redarc unit is both a DC-DC Charger and MPPT solar controller in one package.

Connect to starting battery in TV or MH as well as Solar Panels. It will draw charging power from either one or both.

Still expensive when adding price of Renogy DC-DC Charger and a separate MPPT solar controller. My REnogy DC-DC charger was only $127 and my Victron Smart MPPT controller was $108. Half the price of the integrated unit and the Redarc doesn't have Bluetooth feature like the Victron Smart MPPT controller.

Only advantage I see is that the Redarc unit can be mounted on a vehicle frame and is "waterproof". If that's a requirement then it might be worth the price.

Just my observations.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I suspect that Renogy requires a separate ground wire from the battery to their DC to DC converter to prevent a poor connection on the heavy ground wire from having another electrical path back to the tow vehicle battery. If the heavy ground wire had a poor connection or became disconnected from the battery but a smaller ground circuit path still existed, then a current load greater than the smaller ground wire could support might cause a fire. Using the chassis to carry the ground current will cause the same problem. The same situation exists in the circuit between the converter and trailer batteries.

Renolgy doesn’t say to isolate the ground wire. They only say to use dedicated wires.
I agree. Unless the alternator is smart and has a dedicated ground wire to the batteries, it's using the chassis ground (via being mounted to the engine and through the engine's grounding strap) to close the circuit in order provide power to the charging system anyway.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #34

I thought I would post an update. I contacted renovating support and all I got from them is that their charger would work in the trailer if it was ‘professionally installed’. I was not able to get what a professional install entails, even with several follow-ups. I give remove customer support no stars for support! The renogy unit is reboxed and on its way back to Amazon.

I called a Victron distributor asking whether their 12-12/18 isolated charger would work. The support person (very knowledgable) said I should be looking at their non-isolated models. The installation diagram for these models shows the cable connections: incoming positive, outgoing positive, and a common neutral / ground. The diagram clearly shows this common neutral / ground being grounded to the chassis. This will work jus fine in a trailer where you must use the chassis ground.

If you want to run isolated cables between the truck battery and the charger input terminals, typically using Anderson connectors as many of you have, then either the renogy charger or the victron isolated models will work.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #35

Renogy Fan

I installed the RENOGY DC to DC BATTERY CHARGER to my 5th. Very easy. RAN 4ga battery cable from my trucks battery. Used Anderson battery connectors to hook up trailer. I do have 275 amp alternator on F250.
Took three weeks booNducking back to Missouri and Texas. Cold freezing weather.
NEVER had to use my Honda generator. Don’t have solar either.

Each day battery band was 100% when stopped for the night.
Highly recommend this product. Great customer service.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:19 AM   #36

i really don't want to install those additional cables and the connections between truck and trailer. i know they will work just fine for the many of you that have installed them.

i have done some more research and have found a unit made by redarc that is specifically designed to be installed on a trailer and to operate via the factory installed 7 pin cables. it is a somewhat lower amperage unit which is what allows it to work on the standard 7-pin wiring.

my objective is to simply keep the battery up to a full charge when we tow as we have a residential refrigerator that draws on the battery during towing. we have arrived at some destinations with the batteries inverter still running but the batteries have been drawn down. as i mentioned i'm planning lithium in the future which this charger will support. this dc to dc charger will also limit the load on the truck alternator and it will boost the trailer battery charge voltage to the proper level for lithium. as stated before it will also limit the amperage draw so as to not overload the 7-pin cabling. my 7 pin charge wire is already protected by a 30 amp fuse in the truck engine compartment. redarc recommends the installation of a 23 amp fuse in this charge line.

again, i thank all of you that have offered advice / opinions!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #37

Link to Redarc unit?
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #38

I followed TitanMike's recommendation and used 8 gauge marine cable for my 03 Chevy with 105 amp alternator. Simple to run along the frame down the left side, (other than crawling on my back for an hour). A few wire ties and I was in business. I used a different heavy duty plug in than the Anderson for connection to the truck. First test run coming up in May. My truck never charged well. I used to run 4 6 volts, and have now switched to Lifepo4. I felt I was missing out on the opportunity to get charged while moving from place to place. I have a Renogy Solar suitcase, but that doesn't help going down the road. I found that wiring rooftop solar panels to be too much of a daunting task on a Fifth Wheel not originally wired for solar from the factory. I was also able to replace my OEM 105 amp alternator to a 145 amp without any modifications. It was an option for that year with the snow plow package. I could have gone with dual alternators, but couldn't find good information on converting a truck that didn't come with them originally installed, so opted for the larger alternator. The size of the alternator sounds small, but you have to remember that these trucks don't run with all of the electronics, sound systems and sensors the new ones have, so the overall power requirements are less. I also wired the original charging wire with a 40 amp relay that turns the power on and off, and connected it to the power on switch for the DC to DC charger so the charger will turn on when the key is turned on. Still allows the charging function of that wire to work when plugged into a different trailer.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #39

https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...attery-charger

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, wheel