Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #1

Installing 2000W inverter

I am planning to install a 2000W inverter in my Freedom Express 257BHS, and I was wondering about the wiring from the battery to the inverter. Should it be a straight run from the battery to the inverter, or should I tap into the back of the 12V disconnect switch? I am also planning to install a single electrical outlet next to the bed (CPAP machine!) that will be connected to the inverter.
Bluenose_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose_camper View Post
I am planning to install a 2000W inverter in my Freedom Express 257BHS, and I was wondering about the wiring from the battery to the inverter. Should it be a straight run from the battery to the inverter, or should I tap into the back of the 12V disconnect switch? I am also planning to install a single electrical outlet next to the bed (CPAP machine!) that will be connected to the inverter.
If all your going to use the inverter for is your cpap, you can get a DC-DC Adapter for it.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07P6H99...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I would place the inverter as close to the battery as possible. You'll also need a 200amp fuse for it.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Team

The wiring from the inverter to the battery should be direct, fused and as short as possible. You should use #6 or #4 wire depending on the length of the run. Remember that for every 1A at 120VAC you use, you will be using 10A at 12VDC. Depending on your CPAP, you may need additional battery capacity to cover multiple days. Although you may not need the heavier gauge wire now, it will be there when tempted to use more of your 2000W.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:23 AM   #4

Things to know:

Converters draw a bunch of current. Thus the wire to the battery should be as big as you can afford and as close as you can get. 2/0 welding wire from a welding shop big. Ignore the instructions in the box. It will work with #8 wire for the cpap, however bigger users like the microwave or coffee pot will not work likely.

You must have a convenient on off switch for the unit. These power hogs use 1-2 ah dc per hour on standby.

In the conversion to 120 volt ac they are often only 80% efficient.

Cpap unit are best supplied with 12 volt only power. Most of these units have a brick that turns the ac into dc. If you use the ac option it will consume up to 40% more power than its rating. If this is your primary user then buying a 12 volt cord and installing a 12 volt outlet near the bed is a good idea.

Knowing this we installed a 12 volt outlet near the bed. We have a 12 volt plug in inverter. 400 watts, for when I may need 120 ac. Which we never seem to need.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #5

2000 watt inverter for a single CPAP machine?!? Wow!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter