Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Installing battery monitor?

So I am cautiously progressing with my solar install. I have decided to install a battery monitor first. I see my battery is connected to the RV chassis. The monitor install shows installing a shunt to the negative side. Basically I need to remove the cable from the chassis and connect to one side of the shunt and the reconnect the other side of the shunt to the chassis? So other than connecting a positive lead that is pretty much all that is needed to get the monitor up and running?

I plan on getting one that supports solar inputs as well but wanted to start simple by getting the monitor up and running.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #2

I did mine a little different not wanting to brake the actual negative connection at the chassis or run all that wire. I put the shunt where the negative cable came from the converter back to the batteries and it works fine.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I did mine a little different not wanting to brake the actual negative connection at the chassis or run all that wire. I put the shunt where the negative cable came from the converter back to the batteries and it works fine.
Interesting....I can see that way would definitely make wiring easier for me. The best I can tell my negative from the converter is going to a lug on my battery controller box and not directly to the battery. I wonder if that method would work for me.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Mine is.... neg cable (from chassis)>shunt>neg battery terminal. Your neg solar wire needs to connect downstream of the wire coming from the shunt to the neg battery terminal (or directly to the shunt on the chassis side). If connecting a stand alone battery charger, the neg wire also must be downstream if you want your battery monitor to "see" the amps from the charger.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery