Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Interior light cover melted

Hello,

We have a Roo 23ss. We full time in it right now while waiting to build our house. My wife showed me last night were one side of the hall light had gotten so hot it melted the cover. Any ideas what could have caused that?
Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

The incandescent bulb is emitting too much heat by leaving the light turned on for extended times. Replace bulb with a led bulb and problem solved. I suggest replacing all interior bulbs with led's.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
The incandescent bulb is emitting too much heat by leaving the light turned on for extended times. Replace bulb with a led bulb and problem solved. I suggest replacing all interior bulbs with led's.

Bob
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:

Bob
X3

Exterior bulbs too. The changed out bulbs should outlast the trailer....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:

Bob
X4

First "mod" I did in my new camper.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

My 2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS came equipped with LED interior lighting, love it and it is brighter all around than the previous trailer with incandescence lights.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #7

cover melted

The standard incandescent socket will accept a wide variety of bulbs and many times we just grab one to do the job not noting that it is of a higher wattage. Then you have lots of light for a short usage but a melted cover if you leave it on. If you search the internet you can find a wide variety of LED's that will work with your socket and as others have said it works great.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

cover melted

I just sold a 2015 camper which had regular light bulbs and purchased another 2015 with LED lighting throughout and I can tell you there is a big difference in the amount of heat emitted. the regular lighting made the camper much hotter when lights were left on. tf
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #9

My wife and I (mostly my wife...lol) have been changing out every conventional and florscent bulb in our home to LED as the expire. Much cheaper to run and no replacement, ever.

If you do happen to have tail lights on your RV and replace the conventional bulbs with LED's, the turn signals may need add on resistors to fool the turn signal flasher, but then again, they may not.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

I changed all the incandescent bulbs in my 07 Charleston to LED for the same reason. A switch got turned on in one of the basement lights while loading and melted the plastic cover. I was driving and smelled melting plastic and freaked out . Now all are LED and are cool to the touch and don't use much power at all. Just don't go to your local store as they are about six dollars each. I bought all mine on Amazon. Example is an 1156 type is sixteen dollars for a pack of 10 and I needed about 28. This bulb is the same bulb that is in most porch lights . I also needed a few other bulb types and they also had everything I needed on Amazon ( free shipping with Prime ) also did all exterior lights right down to the licence plate bulbs
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore View Post
Hello,

We have a Roo 23ss. We full time in it right now while waiting to build our house. My wife showed me last night were one side of the hall light had gotten so hot it melted the cover. Any ideas what could have caused that?
I had the same happen with potentially fatal consequences. As I was storing items in the over-the-cab bed for the trip home, I must have accidentally hit the rocker switch on the reading light. The drive lasted 2 hours. Once at home and unloading, I noticed a burnt smell and saw not only the light cover melted and scorched, but the heat had burned/melted a hole through an entire folded-up nylon tent that was stored directly underneath. The hole went all the way to the mattress! And the bulb was still on!
If my trip had lasted longer, the camper would probably caught fire. SCARY!!!
I had already switched some of the bulbs to LED but I hadn't gotten around to that one.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
Left Coast

There is a turn signal flasher for the led change overs
Old 02-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
Left Coast

Changed all bulbs in/out on trailer and light fixtures on rear of truck, installed what they call switch back bulbs in front park/ ts's, and got a flasher made for led usage.....

Tags
cover, light