Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

Interior Light Issue

I have 2004 Wildwood East Coast 29-3. Currently on a permanent park site with no battery installed.

When first arriving I turn on 30 amp breaker. All 110 comes on immediately (microwave, TV, etc.). However, I must wait 3-5 minutes before the 12V interior light come on. After that they seem to work fine (almost).

I have an intermittent issue with the lights flickering on/off and then cutting out completely. During the flickering stage, the gas detection meter chirps on/off until the power kicks out. After a few minutes the lights come back on. No breakers are tripped.

I have tried to isolate the issue by leaving on certain lights, fans, and combinations of the two. The issue seems to be random... once with only exterior hitch light on, once with furnace fan on, once with bathroom fan on, etc.

Note: the first time this happened my wife said she was spraying ant spray on floor when the Gas meter sounded and the lights went out. I'm not convinced she was the cause, but stranger things have happened in my life.

I have tightened all connections located in the 12V side of the inverter. Issue started some time after converting to all LED bulbs in the lights. We got the correct ones to replace the bulbs we had.

I'm wondering if the issue is related to the LED bulbs or if I have an issue with the relay that switches over from landline to battery. Without a battery on board there is no power to cut over to.

Any thought / suggestions?
mlonczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
clr

It sounds like your converter may not like NOT having a battery installed. I know that the specifications for the WECO converter says that a battery is required. I would suggest trying a battery and then see if your problem goes away. Just make sure you get the polarity correct when you install the battery. Of course the leads going to your battery are going to be hot from the converter, unless you have blown a reverse polarity fuse. So make sure the leads are not touching the frame in any way before you put in a battery. If the leads are making any type of connection to ground that may be your problem.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

I was going to try the battery as you suggested. My cables are separated and maintained in a box that sits on the frame, so no direct contact is possible. Fingers crossed. Keep you posted.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #4

Can you also tell me what roof type is on the 2004 Wildwood 29+3?

What would be the best product to use for cleaning and resealing?

Tags
light