Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Inverter/Battery Charger

Hello all,
I recently bought a 2012 Puma 30DST (I think model # is correct) Toy Hauler preowned and had a battery problem my first trip out. While on a shore line the lights and stereo would dim and fade out within a few minutes. Luckily I carried a battery charger with me just in case. I had the battery checked when I got back and they said it was good but I managed to get it exchanged anyway. In the mean time I installed a battery disconnect switch to keep from draining it in the future. My question is, does this model "new" come standard with an inverter/charger? And while I am hooked up to AC power or using my generator the battery should stay charged and not have this problem right?? Is there a benefit to adding a 2nd battery? I have room and not opposed to doing so.

Thanks in advance for your expertice!!
Chance
Chance324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #2

There is a 12volt DC converter that should keep your battery charged, or supply 12 volts for all low voltage accessories even without a battery installed. Check and reset all your circuit breakers. There are more knowledgeable members that should give you a more detailed troubleshooting sequence. HTH
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you have a wfco converter there's a trouble shooting guide in the files section on upper left of frf web page.
If your plugged in the converter should be charging. If not you need to trouble shoot converter.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #4

Thanks. I am about to go check it with my volt meter to see if there is 12V while plugged in to AC. I just wanted to be clear on how it worked and if I needed to buy a charger or inverter to keep from ruining a new battery.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance324
Thanks. I am about to go check it with my volt meter to see if there is 12V while plugged in to AC. I just wanted to be clear on how it worked and if I needed to buy a charger or inverter to keep from ruining a new battery.
The converter should charge it if its working properly.
You should have in the neighborhood of 13.6 v if camper Is plugged in and converter is working.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #6

I plugged into AC power and with the battery disconnected there was no voltage to the Cables on the back side of the switch. Looks like I need to start troubleshooting.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

go to files section next to user cp at top of page .
then go towards bottom and look for your converter .
most likely a wfco 8955 .

if you find that yours is bad I would consider replacing with a progressive dynamics converter in a 70 am model .
Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

OK Problem solved! YAY!

I used the trouble shooting guide you pointe me too and that helped a lot. Once I determined the inverter/charger is working I checked the main power cable to the battery for voltage and there was none. I then found 4-20A fuses blown and knew right then I had a direct short somewhere. I found the problem (a nut on a 30A breaker was loose and cable was touching ground). I repaired it and all is working properly now.

I will keep my volt meter, test light, fuses and tools in the camper at all times in case something like this happens in the future. Lesson Learned!!

Thanks again for all the help guys!!!

Chance
Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance324
OK Problem solved! YAY!

I used the trouble shooting guide you pointe me too and that helped a lot. Once I determined the inverter/charger is working I checked the main power cable to the battery for voltage and there was none. I then found 4-20A fuses blown and knew right then I had a direct short somewhere. I found the problem (a nut on a 30A breaker was loose and cable was touching ground). I repaired it and all is working properly now.

I will keep my volt meter, test light, fuses and tools in the camper at all times in case something like this happens in the future. Lesson Learned!!

Thanks again for all the help guys!!!

Chance
Awesome!
Good to know we got ya goin!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance324 View Post
Hello all,
I recently bought a 2012 Puma 30DST (I think model # is correct) Toy Hauler preowned and had a battery problem my first trip out. While on a shore line the lights and stereo would dim and fade out within a few minutes. Luckily I carried a battery charger with me just in case. I had the battery checked when I got back and they said it was good but I managed to get it exchanged anyway. In the mean time I installed a battery disconnect switch to keep from draining it in the future. My question is, does this model "new" come standard with an inverter/charger? And while I am hooked up to AC power or using my generator the battery should stay charged and not have this problem right?? Is there a benefit to adding a 2nd battery? I have room and not opposed to doing so.

Thanks in advance for your expertice!!
Chance
It is vitally important to make certain what you have. My Trailer(2013 CC 36 CKTS) is equipped with both a WFCO 9865 converter (AC > DC) with a 3 stage battery charger and a Airpax Dimensions ADI-12W8R3T inverter (DC > AC) also with a 3 stage battery charger plus 4each 6 VDC Golf Cart batteries wired series-parallel for a 12 VDC output. Both DC & AC power are distributed through a WFCO8930/50NBB distribution center. If you know the manufacturer of a component, do an internet search to find manuals for each component. Golf cart batteries, while a lot heavier and expensive, have a much greater capacity over time than even the best 12 VDC battery.

For me, we got lucky, in that most of the trailer is DC powered, with mostly only the luxury items requiring AC power. (Refrigerator, Entertainment systems, Microwave, Ceiling Fan and a couple of lights)

It helps to study the manuals to learn how each component is intended to operate. Unfortunately, RV manufacturers do not provide wiring diagrams or synopsis for how these systems are tied together. For that you have to rely on owner manual generic descriptions (if you got it with the sale) and a lot of luck. For the luck part, I improve my chances for success through use a circuit chaser and tester to determine the tie points whenever I am troubleshooting a particular problem, and I always try to employ the KISS principle in this process.

Hope this helps to better understand the difference.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance324 View Post
Once I determined the inverter/charger is working
Great you found the issue.

just for the future issues, you have a CONVERTER/charger, not an inverter/charger.

converter and inverter terms often get switched and confuses the issue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery