Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 AM   #1

Inverter/Charger Installation

Hello all, new to me a 2016 Grey Wolf 26RR. Looking to do full-time and getting it prepped for the journey starting in November 2019.

I bought a Cosuper 3000W/9000W surge) inverter charger (pure sine) off Amazon, for about $460 (link below), and the remotes for it. Before you think "you get what you pay for", it came highly rated from some surprised and pleased purchasers and has some nice features related to charging and maintaining the batteries (3-stage smart charging), etc. I realize I went overkill on the sizing, but this thing will be able to power the A/C unit - albeit briefly - but I digress...

I am taking out the existing converter/charger from the integrated Power Converter with Distribution Panel (WF-8995PEC?) and using the A/C output from the inverter/charger to replace the shore power connection - in effect shore power will come into the inverter directly as it acts as a (smart) transfer switch. (Yes it will have a dedicated 30-amp breaker and some sort of protection, but the inverter charger also has it's own protections and can theoretically be used as a UPS device for electronics with a 1ms invert on a loss of external 120v power event.)

My question:

1. Removing the converter leaves the wires to the existing battery intact. Can I simply purpose those to power the DC panel in place of the converter connection? The new inverter/charger will be located in the front of the unit closest to the battery bank and I will run new 10 gauge wiring for the shore power and AC panel connections to the inverter/charger. AWG1/0 to the batteries.

I do intend on adding solar and wind to this setup, eventually. It will be a work in progress over the next few months as I travel but I intend on beginning this first mod this week. I don't feel I need a sub-panel, but I'm questioning my logic and putting it out there. I want the fridge, and water heater to be primarily 120v electric although I want to retain the ability for propane - by shutting off the AC breaker at the panel (thus requiring DC power). Am I missing something?

Thanks for the time - newbie at this RV thing.

Cosuper link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MightyMouseLDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Team

1. The existing DC power wiring should be fine for powering the DC distribution bus. In essence it's doing it now when the shore power is off.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseLDH View Post
Hello all, new to me a 2016 Grey Wolf 26RR. Looking to do full-time and getting it prepped for the journey starting in November 2019.

I bought a Cosuper 3000W/9000W surge) inverter charger (pure sine) off Amazon, for about $460 (link below), and the remotes for it. Before you think "you get what you pay for", it came highly rated from some surprised and pleased purchasers and has some nice features related to charging and maintaining the batteries (3-stage smart charging), etc. I realize I went overkill on the sizing, but this thing will be able to power the A/C unit - albeit briefly - but I digress...

I am taking out the existing converter/charger from the integrated Power Converter with Distribution Panel (WF-8995PEC?) and using the A/C output from the inverter/charger to replace the shore power connection - in effect shore power will come into the inverter directly as it acts as a (smart) transfer switch. (Yes it will have a dedicated 30-amp breaker and some sort of protection, but the inverter charger also has it's own protections and can theoretically be used as a UPS device for electronics with a 1ms invert on a loss of external 120v power event.)

My question:

1. Removing the converter leaves the wires to the existing battery intact. Can I simply purpose those to power the DC panel in place of the converter connection? The new inverter/charger will be located in the front of the unit closest to the battery bank and I will run new 10 gauge wiring for the shore power and AC panel connections to the inverter/charger. AWG1/0 to the batteries.

I do intend on adding solar and wind to this setup, eventually. It will be a work in progress over the next few months as I travel but I intend on beginning this first mod this week. I don't feel I need a sub-panel, but I'm questioning my logic and putting it out there. I want the fridge, and water heater to be primarily 120v electric although I want to retain the ability for propane - by shutting off the AC breaker at the panel (thus requiring DC power). Am I missing something?

Thanks for the time - newbie at this RV thing.

Cosuper link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You need to use 4/0 AWG wire & an inline fuse. See wire chart below:

Also you should have a sub panel with a 30 Amp breaker before the inverter. That way you could use a 50a to 30a RV adapter. See my sub panel below:
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #4

Continuing the conversation...New inverter and batteries are in the front storage compartment, and the panel and shore power connection are both in close proximity in the middle of the RV. Rather than run TWO 10-3 lines separately, I figured I could use the BLACK wire to go to the 30AMP breaker box that I'm installing close to the inverter (shown below) prior to the AC input of the inverter. The RED wire will be from the inverter back to the stock main AC distribution panel.

The idea is using a single 10-3 run. From shore power/generator; black wire TO inverter - from inverter red TO main panel. WHITE is shared neutral. The WHITE neutral is what I'm most curious about - nothing breaks the white connections (breaker or switch) correct? TIA...

MightyMouseLDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter