Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Inverter Charging

Hey guys,
I have a 2006 Rockwood Freedom that I am still figuring out.
I managed to drain the battery all of the way. Is it possible to use the inverter to bring it back to life when plugged into 120, or do I need to get it charged up a bit before the inverter can even begin to charge it ( I think I read that it has to have a certain number of volts before the inverter will work).
Many Thanks
Dan

Totally new to this pop up camping thing....
D Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's really a convertor...converting 120VAC to 12VDC. We're you plugged into shorepower and the battery still went flat?

Under normal operation, the convertor will supply 12V for the camper when plugged into shorepower and keep the battery charged. It should be able to charge the battery back to full charge. You should checked the water level in the battey also.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

It wasn't plugged in at all. I think something was left on as it sat (popped up) in the driveway. So the converter (sorry about that) should be able to bring it back from no charge what so ever?

Thanks for the reply.

Totally new to this pop up camping thing....
D Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It may charge faster on a separate charger, but it will charge up from the camper's convertor. Do you have a voltmeter to monitor?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Once charged you better have battery load checked .
If it has a bad cell the converter ma y not charged it or boil it.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Team

just so you know, RVs have parasitic power drains to the battery, if not plugged into shore power, even popups.

so, a single battery, not plugged into shore power or separate battery charger/trickle charger will be dead in just a few days.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

All good advice.

Some other information. Deep Discharge batteries are designed to be "deeply discharged" (about 10.5 volts) and recover just fine for a "designed number of cycles." They are not designed to be discharged to zero however.

Bad things happen at zero volts. At voltages less than 6 volts (LED lights do not light) the plates get heavy deposits of "Sulphate" from the acid in the electrolyte "dropping out" of solution.

The resultant reduction of ions in the electrolyte and the covering of the plates with the deposits causes two very bad things. One, the specific gravity of the "water" in the battery approaches 1.0 and it will freeze bursting the battery case or cracking the lead plates. Two, the low conductivity of the depleted electrolyte and the "insulated" plates reduces total capacity and reduced charge rates.

A Battery De-Sulphator like this one, RV Boat Sailboat Deep Cycle Battery Desulfator / Desulphator 6V or 12V | eBay (designed to be left on all the time) will pulse the battery continuously with a higher voltage when connected to a charging source.

This will blast any deposits that form on the plates off and put that electrolyte back into solution.

Here is another model.
http://www.impactbattery.com/power-p...r-pp-12-l.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote