Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #21

I am running a 400w inverter wired direct to my coach batteries with about 18" of 6ga wire. Then I have a cord running through the wall into the entertainment center. I leave the TV and DVD player plugged in and keep the inverter live at all times. One leg of the inverter power feed goes through the master disconnect. Been running pretty much this way for a year now.
When boondocking this will run the system for 4 hours no problem. I do have two deep cycle batteries as well.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #22

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the ideas. I will of course wait to see what I get with the RV before I purchase anything.
Years ago I had a travel trailer, and we simply watched TV with and AC/DC portable TV. That was when TV's had tubes. I haven't had an RV for the last 12 years.
Since my new RV has a built in TV/DVD, I was trying to figure out how to power it while dry camping. I never had a need for an inverter before.
After hearing all of the complex solutions, I wish the TV/DVD were 12V, so much simpler.
I was thinking of replacing the DVD that comes with the RV anyway, because it is not Blu-Ray (I believe). I have a large collection of Blu-Ray movies that won't play on a regular DVD.
So, I looked again at Amazon, searching for 12V TV's & DVD's. Plenty of TV's are 12V, but DVD's are hard to find. There are 12V TV's with built in DVD players, but there are none that have a Blu-Ray.
I only found one Blu-Ray DVD player that runs on 12V. It is actually made for a car, and fits into a DIN radio slot in the dash. It is made by Autopro, a company I never heard of before, and it costs nearly $200. It would look pretty ugly unless I could find a DIN case for it. I also heard a rumor that many big name DVD players (such as Sony) are actually 12V, but come with an AC adapter and are sold as AC devices. Don't know if this is true.
Would have been nice if Forrest River supplied 12V TV/DVD in the first place.
Tom
tomcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #23

Why not stick with the 120v TVs and Blu Ray players... more choices and less cost. Having a small inverter, you will find other uses, I bet.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #24

I always thought blu-ray dvd's will play in regular dvd players but regular dvd,s will not play in blu-ray players. ??
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyster View Post
I always thought blu-ray dvd's will play in regular dvd players but regular dvd,s will not play in blu-ray players. ??
Actually, the opposite is true. Blue-ray did not exist when regular DVD players were built, hence they could not possibly play. New players pay both, not old players.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #26

The opposite is true like SB stated.

I found this:

The reason that you cannot play a Blu-ray Disc on a DVD player is that Blu-ray Discs are embedded with more video and audio information than a DVD player is designed to read. In addition, the "pits" used to store the information on a Blu-ray disc are much smaller than a DVD, which requires a blue laser to read the information, whereas DVD players use red lasers. Blue lasers produce light beam with a shorter wavelength, which is needed to focus on the smaller pits of a Blu-ray Disc. The pits on the disc is where the video and audio information of Blu-ray Discs (as well as DVDs and CDs) is stored.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #27

Inverter or 12v?

As soon as I get the new RV, I will look over the wiring and see how difficult installing an inverter would be.
If I decide to make everything 12v, I have discovered that all LG DVD & Blu-Ray players are 12v. They come with an AC adapter. It would be easy to cut the cord off the adapter and install a cigarette lighter plug in the adapter's place. I can get an LG Blu-Ray player for $50-$80 and a new 24" AC/DC television for around $250. So, my total expense in going the 12v route would be $300-$330. Since I was going to replace the DVD with a Blu-Ray player anyway. The only real expense is replacing the TV.
So it seems to me, that going 12v is less expensive than going with an inverter. I could also leave the TV/Blu-Ray plugged in and never have to worry about any switches or running new wires. I would have to run a 12v extension cord to the nearest 12v outlet. I will have to see if there is one near the TV area.
All decisions will have to be made in a few weeks, when I get the RV.
Tom
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcod View Post
As soon as I get the new RV, I will look over the wiring and see how difficult installing an inverter would be.
If I decide to make everything 12v, I have discovered that all LG DVD & Blu-Ray players are 12v. They come with an AC adapter. It would be easy to cut the cord off the adapter and install a cigarette lighter plug in the adapter's place. I can get an LG Blu-Ray player for $50-$80 and a new 24" AC/DC television for around $250. So, my total expense in going the 12v route would be $300-$330. Since I was going to replace the DVD with a Blu-Ray player anyway. The only real expense is replacing the TV.
So it seems to me, that going 12v is less expensive than going with an inverter. I could also leave the TV/Blu-Ray plugged in and never have to worry about any switches or running new wires. I would have to run a 12v extension cord to the nearest 12v outlet. I will have to see if there is one near the TV area.
All decisions will have to be made in a few weeks, when I get the RV.
Tom
You might check, but I think that adapted 12vdc via power supply is quite regulated and the parts and pieces might not like 14.6v (or so) my charger's Absorb point... also, equalize is set for 15.3v... the players / tvs hardwired via cigarette plug might take offense to that. You might never equalize, but certainly any converter will hit above 14 vdc. Just my 2 cents
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
You might check, but I think that adapted 12vdc via power supply is quite regulated and the parts and pieces might not like 14.6v (or so) my charger's Absorb point... also, equalize is set for 15.3v... the players / tvs hardwired via cigarette plug might take offense to that. You might never equalize, but certainly any converter will hit above 14 vdc. Just my 2 cents
WW
I think you are right. I did a chat with an LG representative, and they told me that it will probably work when connected to a 12v source, but they cannot guarantee it. So if I decide to go with 12v power, I should probably purchase a Blu-Ray that is designed to work in a car. It should be able to handle the variable voltage. The only problem is that there is only one such Blu-Ray on the market from a company nobody has ever heard of, and it costs a lot more that a regular home Blu-Ray.
For right now I will just use the TV/DVD as it comes, and see how often I want to use it while dry camping. Then make changes later if we miss the TV.
Tom
Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcod View Post
I think you are right. I did a chat with an LG representative, and they told me that it will probably work when connected to a 12v source, but they cannot guarantee it. So if I decide to go with 12v power, I should probably purchase a Blu-Ray that is designed to work in a car. It should be able to handle the variable voltage. The only problem is that there is only one such Blu-Ray on the market from a company nobody has ever heard of, and it costs a lot more that a regular home Blu-Ray.
For right now I will just use the TV/DVD as it comes, and see how often I want to use it while dry camping. Then make changes later if we miss the TV.
Tom
Check this site... there are DC to DC converter / conditioners that have a range of input voltages, such as 11vdc to 16vdc and a constant 12vdc out with different wattages.
I put a regulated 5vdc on my motorcycle for the Garmin and it works perfectly.

WW

DC DC Converters | DigiKey

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Check this site... there are DC to DC converter / conditioners that have a range of input voltages, such as 11vdc to 16vdc and a constant 12vdc out with different wattages.
I put a regulated 5vdc on my motorcycle for the Garmin and it works perfectly.

WW

DC DC Converters | DigiKey
I checked out that site. I found it a bit confusing, because of my limited knowledge of electronics. I didn't even know that DC to DC converters existed. But, it gave me an idea I searched on Amazon for DC to DC converters hoping to find a simplified version of one. And I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KGKFA4...I3TGCICZROY56H

It looks like it would work perfect for running a Blu-Ray or TV that comes with an AC adapter. It is obviously made for replacing an AC adapter and running off a cigarette lighter. It even comes with various size plugs to fit different size jacks.
Tom
Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #32

you'll need at least 75W continuous ... this one at 2A is 24W. I'd either go 12volts entertainment or get that small inverter. Someone mentioned they invert and keep TV and player on it all the time. That would work too.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #33

Forget the DC to DC converter and get a 300 watt inverter. I used a 300 watt unit that I got from Sams Club for years in my old RV to power the TV and DVD player. Bet you won't even draw that much.

2015 335DS
Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #34

Quote:
you'll need at least 75W continuous ... this one at 2A is 24W. I'd either go 12volts entertainment or get that small inverter. Someone mentioned they invert and keep TV and player on it all the time. That would work too.
I was wondering about the power requirements. The problem is I don't know what the DC amperage needed to run these things. When I look up the specifications of models I am considering, they only list the power ratings for AC, not DC. The only way I know of to check the DC amperage is to read the specs off the AC adapter itself.
The Blu-Ray player I am looking at uses 12 watts AC. Which is converted from 12V. No specs for the AC adapter is given.
What I could do is purchase the Blu-Ray - it is only $80 - and if it will operate on less than 2 amps DC, I will use it with a DC to DC adapter. If it requires more than 2 amps DC, then I will go ahead and go the inverter route.
The inverter I am looking at is a Go Power! 300 watt Pure Sine Wave. There are much cheaper ones out there, but I want to avoid problems. I have nothing but respect for the Go Power! company. I will eventually get a portable solar charger from them as well.
Tom
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #35

I just downloaded the owners manual of the LG Blu-Ray I was looking at. There is no specifications on the AC adapter, but I noticed a picture of the back of the unit. The DC input is marked 12V 1A. So it looks like it is just one amp and that inexpensive DC to DC adapter will work.
As for the TV, I am looking at ones that are made to work AC/DC and come with a regulated car plug. So the TV will work without a DC to DC adapter.
I have discovered that Coachmen installs Furrion TV sets. I looked at the Furrion web page and noticed that they sell both AC models and AC/DC models. I am hoping that the RV will come with the AC/DC TV, but it probably won't.
Tom
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #36

I bet the tv and blue ray won't use more than 150 watts combined. The dc to DC converters often end up as junk. Besides someday you will want to charge something and the inverter will handle it all.

2015 335DS
Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #37

Scott is correct. My blu ray dvd player draws 20 watts and 42 inch led tv draws 80 watts. They run on a 150 watt inverter plugged into a 15 amp 12v receptacle. I ran it for a while and didn't have any issues or anything getting hot, including the fuse feeding the 12v receptacle.
There is an article called the 12 volt side of life, I believe that has the math for figuring volts/watts/amps.
My 2017 Forester has a 12v tv/dvd player in the bedroom, although not blu-ray. Maybe they would install a 12v tv if you ask?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #38

Tomcod, this is easy. When you get your coach check the power requirements of the tv and blue ray. Then get an inverter to cover the load. I'm pretty sure that 300 watts will be plenty, but check to be sure. Try not to load the inverter much more than 1/3 to 1/2 so it doesn't have to work to hard and run its fan too much. My tv takes like 40 watts or so if that gives you an idea. Then wire it up so the tv and blue ray are always powered by the inverter. Put a switch in the 12volt side of the inverter so you can shut it off to reduce the battery draw when not watching tv. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter