Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2024, 01:04 PM   #1

Inverter/Fridge question

Hello all just a quick question when an inverter is installed how will the fridge operate? will it use propane or will turn to AC when not connected to shore power?
thesharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharps View Post
Hello all just a quick question when an inverter is installed how will the fridge operate? will it use propane or will turn to AC when not connected to shore power?
I think they are defaulted to propane if "auto" is selected and propane is available.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
It would help if you posted what year, make and model number of your RV or make and model number of your fridge.
And is the inverter factory or did you install it?
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:29 PM   #4

i haven't installed the inverter my question is if the inverter is on and the fridge is set to auto will the fridge switch to the ac current with the inverter or will it stay on propane
Old 04-16-2024, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
i haven't installed the inverter my question is if the inverter is on and the fridge is set to auto will the fridge switch to the ac current with the inverter or will it stay on propane
Its gonna depend on your model.

I've seen some that default to AC if available but not all.

If yours does, you just have to remember to manually switch it to propane, if thats what you desire.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:51 PM   #6

Your question makes no sense? Inverters are mostly used in RVís that have residential refrigerators (units that are like in your house and operate from 120 volts AC only.

Your fridge sounds like a 2-way fridge. One that when On ďautoĒ will run off the shore power when plugged into it (120 volts) and will ďautoĒ sense when you unplug shore power and then switch to propane.

It is not clear from your responses if you have an inverter or not.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the answer, i want to install an inverter and the fridge operation was my concern. forgive me if i sound dumb but if the inverter powers the 110 outlets it should power the fridge on ac current correct or am i missing something? i have plenty of batteries and solar and now I'm ready to add the next piece i also have an onboard generator.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, i want to install an inverter and the fridge operation was my concern. forgive me if i sound dumb but if the inverter powers the 110 outlets it should power the fridge on ac current correct or am i missing something? i have plenty of batteries and solar and now I'm ready to add the next piece i also have an onboard generator.
You are correct. I run my inverter from a home made power station directly into the 30 amp RV plug and it will power everything in the RV. The only issue for you is to make sure your battery and inverter output is adequate for the refrigerator watt usage. In other words, you have to run the numbers.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:14 PM   #9

Perfect thank you i was just overthinking the auto switch on the fridge and i will double check my numbers.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:43 PM   #10

Depends on how you hook up your inverter. If you hook it up to power the whole power panel, then life is good. The camper will think it's hooked up to shore power. That's really simple to do if you have a 30A RV.

If you hook it up to power one breaker, make sure the stuff you want to run on the inverter is on that breaker. My camper has a GFCI breaker for the GFCI plugs, another breaker for some other plugs and another breaker for some more plugs.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Installing an inverter doesn't magically power the outlets. You would have to wire in all the 110v wiring into the inverter. This would be a big job.
That's why many RVs that come with a factory INverter, only power a residential fridge or a couple of outlets.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Installing an inverter doesn't magically power the outlets. You would have to wire in all the 110v wiring into the inverter. This would be a big job.
That's why many RVs that come with a factory INverter, only power a residential fridge or a couple of outlets.
If it's a 30A RV, it is pretty simple to wire in an inverter with an auto transfer switch built in. Just cut the shore power line and splice in the inverter. Will power everything on the power panel. Including the converter/charger which should be turned off when on inverter power. Of course this type of installation requires manual load management.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
If it's a 30A RV, it is pretty simple to wire in an inverter with an auto transfer switch built in. Just cut the shore power line and splice in the inverter. Will power everything on the power panel. Including the converter/charger which should be turned off when on inverter power. Of course this type of installation requires manual load management.
Be careful of your inverter selection if you go this route. Some have transfer switches rated 25 amps or less, and on a 30 amp circuit, this can cause bad things to happen.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Be careful of your inverter selection if you go this route. Some have transfer switches rated 25 amps or less, and on a 30 amp circuit, this can cause bad things to happen.
That is an excellent point. Would suck to cripple the shore power input to 25A by choosing the wrong inverter.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
That is an excellent point. Would suck to cripple the shore power input to 25A by choosing the wrong inverter.
The other issue is if you donít have your converter connected directly to shore power ( before transfer switch), or accommodate it with some other auto lockout. I used a manual transfer switch for this reason, easy to wire it to lockout on inverter. A side benefit is the manual switch was cheap and rated over 60 amps.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #16

If you're luck enough to have a refrigerator that can be powered by propane leave it set in Auto mode and don't think more about it. It will run for weeks on a 20# propane cylinder and switch to shorepower Auto-matically when connected.

-- Chuck
Old 04-17-2024, 01:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
If you're luck enough to have a refrigerator that can be powered by propane leave it set in Auto mode and don't think more about it. It will run for weeks on a 20# propane cylinder and switch to shorepower Auto-matically when connected.

-- Chuck
I agree. I see no reason to install an inverter, just to run the electric side of a 2-way fridge.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:57 PM   #18

You don't want your 120 volt / gas type fridge running on inverter power. It will draw about 35 to 45 amps, at 12 volts from your batteries, continously. 40 amps for 10 hours is 400 AH. That a lot of battery capacity.

Residential, 120 volt only, fridges only draw 14 to 18 amps at 12 volts.

If you power the whole rig with the shore cord plugged into the inverter, switch the fridge to gas, water heater to gas and converter/charger off. You can't charge a battery with the same battery.

When I install inverters, I only power the outlet circuit.
Twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:07 PM   #19

if you going down the inverter road invest in a battery monitor
one with it's own screen or bluetooth

If you ever change to lithium (lifepo4) get batteries that have bluetooth
you will never regret having the bluetooth

the inverter/120v devices can add a lot of load on the battery... which you are best to at least monitor frequent just after the install

Then when you know your power habits you can build up a good "Battery" awareness and rely somewhat on instinct
Old 04-17-2024, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinboat View Post
You don't want your 120 volt / gas type fridge running on inverter power. It will draw about 35 to 45 amps, at 12 volts from your batteries, continously. 40 amps for 10 hours is 400 AH. That a lot of battery capacity.

Residential, 120 volt only, fridges only draw 14 to 18 amps at 12 volts.

If you power the whole rig with the shore cord plugged into the inverter, switch the fridge to gas, water heater to gas and converter/charger off. You can't charge a battery with the same battery.

When I install inverters, I only power the outlet circuit.
I can travel with a dc to dc running, between that and the solar, no need to run propane on travel days.

Tags
fridge, inverter, question