Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #1

Inverter Question

Quick question...I know my unit has an inverter. Is that only used by the refrigerator or are the outlets usable when I only have battery power? I have a new 2018 28DBUD Wildwood.
DSBATCHELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #2

Typically, just the fridge.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #3

Good question! I have new riverstone with inverter I guess we need to check other things to see! I would think it would fridge only since it pulls a lot!
GFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Thats what I figured. Unit is in storage at the moment and the question just came to mind. Thanks for the replies.
DSBATCHELDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

If it is a 1000 Watt inverter chances are it only powers the fridge, 1800 Watt or more and it likely powers the fridge and the entertainment center, maybe even the microwave.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #6

What kind of refrigerator do you have? A residential type like in a house? Or a gas/electric? Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #7

Inverter.

I have a rockwood 2618 vs (v nose) but don't think the refrigerator runs on the batteries. The buttons show au and lp. I assume that is shore power and propane.
Now I'm new to this so bear with me but, my lights and radio run off the battery
But not my outlets. So how would I get power to my outlets from my battery?

Or is that even possible? From what I've read I would need an inverter and certainly more than the one battery it came with.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2436 View Post
I have a rockwood 2618 vs (v nose) but don't think the refrigerator runs on the batteries. The buttons show au and lp. I assume that is shore power and propane.
Now I'm new to this so bear with me but, my lights and radio run off the battery

Or is that even possible? From what I've read I would need an inverter and certainly more than the one battery it came with.

your outlets are 110 volts and yes you need an Inverter to use them off the batteries. More than one.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

No, your fridge is a 2-way fridge. 3-way fridges are generally only found in folding trailers and truck campers.
Your fridge does need 12v battery power to ignite the propane.

There's no way to get your outlets to work on battery power, without an expensive and complicated conversion by installing an inverter and a big bank of batteries.
Which your v-nose doesn't have the room for.

That's why you usually only see this kind of system in 5th wheels and motorhomes, since they have the room for 4 or more batteries.

That's why most of us with a TT, just install an inverter to plug in low demand items like a tv and DVD player.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #10

Smile

That makes sense. Guess the only real solution is an upgrade to a 5th wheel.
Would you mind telling my wife?
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
That makes sense. Guess the only real solution is an upgrade to a 5th wheel.
Would you mind telling my wife?
Sure but only the bigger more expensive 5th wheels have built-in inverters that can provide power to outlets.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #12

Well, haven't made a final choice yet, but my next target TT is going to be primarily a boon docking one. Dispersed camping, not Walmart/Bass Pro type of boon docking. I have already lined up the Xantrex XC 2000w inverter/charger I will be installing. Also going with a couple of Greelife Lio batteries. Those batteries can be taken down to 0% without damage and provide 13.6v right on down to zero, unlike lead acid batteries.

Will disconnect the appliance and outlet breakers from the main breaker and hook them up to the Xantrex. Air Conditioner will remain on main breaker so that it will only operate on shore power / gen set. Everything else will come off the Xantrex. Input to the Xantrex will come from main breaker when shore power plugged in. When shore power hooked up, Xantrex will charge battery bank and pass thru AC to the other stuff in the trailer. When disconnected from shore power, Xantrex will switch over to supply AC to everything but the air conditioner. Seamless. Simple. Automatic.

To be realistic, not needing to run appliances and outlets all the time. But when I want, say, a bag of popcorn, just stick in the micro for a couple of minutes and cook it up. Just occasional use of AC when not on shore power. A couple of the trailers I am looking at have outside kitchens with mini fridge. The Xantrex can keep that mini fridge up and running while off shore power. Main fridge will be manually set on propane. I know the mini fridge is a non issue for the inverter. I have one of those apartment type refrigerator freezers in my semi truck running off a Xantrex and batteries and it will run for a couple of days with truck shut off before I need to charge batteries. And those are lead acid standard batteries, not deep cycle.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter