Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2023, 10:18 AM   #1

Inverter setup question

This is a could I question. I was wondering if you could use say a 2000w inverter by connecting directly to batteries then run a one of those 20amp to 30amp adapters then plug the regular 30amp cord into the trailers 30amp input. I would have the battery cut-off in the off position and then let the already installed converter take care of my 12v and 120v. Of course this would a temporary type set up for some boondocking scenario. I know batteries will not last long and I would need to be stringent with power consumption. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-19-2023, 10:55 AM   #2

Yes you can, but it is more efficient to just turn off the circuit breaker for the converter and let everything 12v run off the battery. If you open the battery disconnect and let the converter supply 12 volts, you are losing power due to the inefficiency of the conversion from 120v AC back to 12v DC, heat generation, and the converter fan possibly running.

If you open the battery disconnect and let the converter run you are initially taking power from the battery (12v DC), inverting it to 120v AC, and then converting it back to 12v DC which makes little sense when you can just run the 12v DC straight from the battery without the DC-AC-DC conversion processes.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:05 AM   #3

So you are saying turn off the converter by way of the breaker and leave the battery disconnect on/connected position? I assume this will also stop the battery charging?
Old 02-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #4

Yes, you can do that but there is no free lunch. Your inverter will draw more from the battery than your converter can charge. Your inverter is probably about 80% efficient. If that would work, why have shore power?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #5

yes just turn off the existing converter via the breaker
OR any inbuilt switch on the converter ...... if it has one

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Have you thought about other options...

Look at an inverter / charger ( my favorite)

It automatically detects if you are plugged into shore power /generator and switches between inverting and charging modes

A bit more work to wire it ....
but can power the whole trailer (3000w Inverter)

NOTE... if you want to run the air conditioner on the inverter , you better have a BIG battery.
4-600ah of lithium will allow you to run a few hours to cool things off

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR look for a all in one AIO inverter charger and solar charge controller
Old 02-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
So you are saying turn off the converter by way of the breaker and leave the battery disconnect on/connected position? I assume this will also stop the battery charging?
This is how I run my trailer when boondocking. Leave batteries connected and turn off converter breaker in panel. Also a good idea to switch off the water heater and A/C breakers to prevent inadvertent operation while running Inverter.

If you disconnect battery while converter is off you will have no 12v power for furnace/thermostat, lighting, water pump, and other 12v operated items.

I plug my shore power cord into an inverter powered outlet which then powers up all outlets. I can run my microwave from a 2K Inverter with ease and have no desire to run A/C.

When off grid/boondocking battery charging is only available from Solar or Generator so unless you have either of both, don't worry about battery charging until you get back to shore power. Make sure you have a large enough battery bank to handle your off grid needs or invest in solar or generator.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:33 PM   #7

Yeah I would do this rarely which is why I do not want to go through the whole thing of wiring it up permanently. At most run a TV, laptop and a fan for a few hours and of course a few 12v things like lights. Just an option for places that don't allow generators at certain times like some state parks by me.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #8

This is the sort of the fool proof method to plug in to the inverter. Making it a priority to turn off the water heater and converter. My breaker with the converter also has the fireplace on that circuit.

You need to install an on off switch conveniently located in the rv for the inverter. These energy hogs draw 1-2 amps per hour on standby. Thus when you go to bed you want them off!

Inverters typically consume 20% more power from the battery. So you want to minimize use when you can.

We do not have an installed inverter. Our rv was set up to work without one for the most part. We need it for the tv, for me, and the convection oven for the DW. So I installed two 12 volt outlets in the fiver and own a plug in inverter for the occasional use. Another way to solve the problem.

We never use it. We use the generator now and then.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, question