Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2021, 10:53 PM   #1

Inverter Wiring

I have a 2021 Rockwood Roo 233s. I want to add an inverter, but the factory install location will only power part of the outlets, and not any of the outlets I want inverted.

Can an inverter be installed using the AC wires out of the factory Converter into the input of the Inverter and from the AC output of the inverter to the power inlet of the AC breakers in the converter?
acamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:07 AM   #2

My inverter powers the entire trailer. A 2kw Renogy unit that i have hard wired an outlet for the main 30 amp power cord.

When boondocking i turn off converter, water heater, and set refrigerator to propane. Plug in power cord and run microwave or any other 120 volt device I need.

When batteries need charging I just move power cord plug to generator and turn converter back on.

This setup makes every outlet hot and as long as i keep continuous draw at 2,000 watts or less all is good. The Renogy 2kw inverter will handle up to 4kw for a few seconds to start motors and microwave but to run something like the A/C I just use the generator.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:20 AM   #3

The reason your Roo only puts one circuit on the inverter is to make it simple and economical. You can definitely re-wire the system to feed your 120V panel from the inverter. The tricky part is the switching the whole of the 120V panel from inverter to shore power or a generator. You could have a three position switch that lets you select the source. Automatic switches can be installed that select the shore power if it's hot, the generator if it's hot and the shore power is not, or the inverter if it alone is hot. This gets a bit messy and costly.

I ran my system for a year or two exactly as Mike outlined. I just limited my 120V device load according to the power source I was plugged into. After a couple of more years of not having access to shore power and not needing to run a generator (due to enough solar) I removed my 30 amp power cord and hard-wired my 120V panel to my inverter; removed my converter (battery charger and 12V supply) and left all 12V loads on the battery. As such I have no switching, manual or automatic. And I don't have A/C. I do have a battery charger that could be plugged into a generator or 120V shore power post to supplement the solar, but have never used it. I like the simplicity and reliability of this inverter-only system.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #4

It's a pretty tedious job to add inverter power to all the outlets, as the existing wiring is undocumented and sometimes hard to get to. I've just finished the what I hope is the 'hard' part , and the next phase will be the actual inverter install.

I opted to add a hard-wired EMS along with a standalone transfer switch (instead of one built into an inverter). I mounted the EMS and transfer switch on a piece of plywood. EMS input is the trailer 30 amp inlet. The EMS output goes to the shore power connection of the transfer switch. The transfer switch now feeds the original inlet line going to the breaker box, so all outlets are prepped for inverter power.

Added two lines, the first going from the inverter mount position to the transfer switch, 12 gauge romex. This attaches to the transfer box terminals for the generator input. The second line is 14 gauge romex that feeds the converter from the transfer box shore power terminal. That way, the converter generates 12v and charges the battery only when on shore power. The panel breaker for the converter is no longer used and is now a spare. This dedicated converter line has a 15 amp push button circuit breaker, installed on the transfer box.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:53 AM   #5

I have the same set up as TitanMike. Just switch off the converter circuit breaker, then switch on the inverter and plug in the whole camper. Other then a short wire from the inverter to an outdoor 120 volt 30 amp RV plug, I did no 120 volt wiring at all. Much easier than trying to wire certain 120 volt circuits to the inverter. The exception might be if the OP wants an inverter/charger. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I have the same set up as TitanMike. Just switch off the converter circuit breaker, then switch on the inverter and plug in the whole camper. Other then a short wire from the inverter to an outdoor 120 volt 30 amp RV plug, I did no 120 volt wiring at all. Much easier than trying to wire certain 120 volt circuits to the inverter. The exception might be if the OP wants an inverter/charger. Jay

The added benefit of this approach is that you can make the inverter portable and can move it to another rig easily. Initially I was going to do this, flip off the converter breaker, set up inverter to feed the trailer inlet plug, and use the normal shore plug and wiring to get power to all the plugs. For me, the battery wiring and desire to mount the inverter inside and affixed led me to do a full integration. If this weren't a 'forever' trailer but one of a succession, I'd strive to keep all trailer wiring bone stock.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #7

When you shut the converter breaker do the 12 volt circuits still work, ex. fans,lighting,etc?
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammici View Post
When you shut the converter breaker do the 12 volt circuits still work, ex. fans,lighting,etc?

Yes- all 12v runs off battery circuit. As long as you have a charged battery it all works.

Think of the converter as a battery charger which can supplementally power 12v devices.
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #9

DES-1 has it right. On my rig, the converter is on a separate circuit breaker all by itself. Once it is flipped off, the batteries no longer get charged, no matter what 120volt source the unit is plugged into. All 12 volt items, will run off the batteries (until they run down) just the same as if the converter was working. Jay.
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
The added benefit of this approach is that you can make the inverter portable and can move it to another rig easily. Initially I was going to do this, flip off the converter breaker, set up inverter to feed the trailer inlet plug, and use the normal shore plug and wiring to get power to all the plugs. For me, the battery wiring and desire to mount the inverter inside and affixed led me to do a full integration. If this weren't a 'forever' trailer but one of a succession, I'd strive to keep all trailer wiring bone stock.
My Inverter is mounted inside and as close as possible to the batteries as I could get. Only "outside part" is the outlet I installed and connected to the Inverter's hardwire terminals via some real heavy SO cord.

I considered installing a transfer switch but because I switch back and forth among Shore Power, Generator, and Inverter, I figured I'd just keep it simple and have a setup were I just plugged the power cord into whatever 120V power source was live at the time.

I doubt there is a wrong way as long as no live terminals are exposed when they shouldn't be.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
If one is forgetful, often forgets to turn converter off when turning on and plugging into the inverter, Progressive Dynamic's 9100 series converters have a nice feature. A "Shutoff Module" that plugs into their TCMS port that allows one to control the converter with a simple 120vac relay. The shutoff module has two wires coming out of it that when connected turn off the converter's output. Wire them to the N/O contacts of a relay controlled by 120 vac and whenever the inverter is "live", converter won't try to charge battery while inverter is sucking in power. I paid around $8-$9 for this module when I bought it. Use it to turn on and off the converter with my Victron monitors onboard relay, turning on when SOC reached 40% and off when SOC reached 90%. Only use this when I'm not using the TT for more than a few months which lately hasn't been the case.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #12

That is a nice way of making sure that the converter is “off” whenever the inverter is “on”. Unfortunately for me, I have the WFCO converter. This is what we did to help with “ forgetting”. JayClick image for larger version

Name:	1535A7E0-8C6F-4132-9D5F-000B06FA79F5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	266141
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
That is a nice way of making sure that the converter is “off” whenever the inverter is “on”. Unfortunately for me, I have the WFCO converter. This is what we did to help with “ forgetting”. JayAttachment 266141
Nice and simple.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
That is a nice way of making sure that the converter is “off” whenever the inverter is “on”. Unfortunately for me, I have the WFCO converter. This is what we did to help with “ forgetting”. JayAttachment 266141

We have the WFCO as well. Nothing bad with it and since it's already there, it was the lowest cost option Just removed the 3 leads inside the converter box and hooked them up to a dedicated shore power feed. Nothing to forget now, completely automatic. The downside was working on the floor on my knees and belly.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My Inverter is mounted inside and as close as possible to the batteries as I could get. Only "outside part" is the outlet I installed and connected to the Inverter's hardwire terminals via some real heavy SO cord.

I considered installing a transfer switch but because I switch back and forth among Shore Power, Generator, and Inverter, I figured I'd just keep it simple and have a setup were I just plugged the power cord into whatever 120V power source was live at the time.

I doubt there is a wrong way as long as no live terminals are exposed when they shouldn't be.
That's a good way to set up. As you say, there is no wrong way if it meets your needs and is (electrically) proper.

My inverter is turned on with a switch mounted near the kitchen. The RV side inlet is either shore or generator. Shore/generator power overrides the inverter as long as current is flowing in. So, you can have both sources on at the same time. Once shore/generator is on it's prudent to turn off the inverter. If you wanted to keep the 110v powered after you disconnect from shore/generator, just turn on inverter in advance and you won't miss a beat.

Tags
inverter, wiring