Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W Eason View Post
Periferal question: (Currently, I use only a small inverter for the TV). Bigred123 says, “I installed a 3 way selector switch with 4 poles so that I disconnect the charging circuit from the batttrey when on inverter.” Is there a way to automate that switch-over?
Rich, I have a 1200 watt inverter wired directly to all the outlets in my camper. Go Power makes an automatic transfer switch which allows the outlets to be fed using either shore power or inverter power. Never back feed 120 volts AC into the inverter.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #22
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushfamily5 View Post
After weeks of reading, planning, re-planning and re-planning again I finished my inverter upgrade:

Installed two GC-2 6 volt batteries and ran 2/0 cabling (4ft in length to get into front cab of trailer) to a Xantrax Pro2000 inverter with a 200amp in-line fuse.
We simply plug our trailer into the inverter to run everything.

Well, we were out camping at the beach for the last week and a half and got to try everything out. Worked perfectly UNTIL i tried the microwave. Batteries read 12.0 amps, micro started for a milisecond and then the inverter beeped and micro shut down.

I thought the Pro2000 would be sufficient but maybe not? My Honda 2000 with 1600 watts running will do it.

Any ideas?
Unless you have a large bank of batteries and an inverter of a wattage rating significantly higher than the appliances, forget about using things like microwaves. Use the cooktop or BBQ instead and read a book while things cook.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushfamily5 View Post
After weeks of reading, planning, re-planning and re-planning again I finished my inverter upgrade:

Installed two GC-2 6 volt batteries and ran 2/0 cabling (4ft in length to get into front cab of trailer) to a Xantrax Pro2000 inverter with a 200amp in-line fuse.
We simply plug our trailer into the inverter to run everything.

Well, we were out camping at the beach for the last week and a half and got to try everything out. Worked perfectly UNTIL i tried the microwave. Batteries read 12.0 amps, micro started for a milisecond and then the inverter beeped and micro shut down.

I thought the Pro2000 would be sufficient but maybe not? My Honda 2000 with 1600 watts running will do it.

Any ideas?
When you plug in your trailer to the inverter you MUST turn OFF the converter or else your converter will be trying to charge the batteries off the battery power which will suck up a lot of the inverter's power. Locate the circuit breaker for the converter (NOT INVERTER), turn it off before you plug in the trailer to the inverter.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #24
Bene Gesserit Rule

And remember that there may be other mains power devices still running somewhere. Check that the fridge is running on propane and make sure the electric blanket is off.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtptrson View Post
Rich, I have a 1200 watt inverter wired directly to all the outlets in my camper. Go Power makes an automatic transfer switch which allows the outlets to be fed using either shore power or inverter power. Never back feed 120 volts AC into the inverter.
There are lots of ways to automate this process, however, the problem starts when owners decide that the easiest way to install a decent inverter is to put a shore power plug receptacle on it and just plug the shore power plug directly into the inverter output. This does work but it powers every circuit on the RV (let's stick with 30 amp units here) and therefore will power the converter, which will try to charge the batteries using power that is being generated FROM THE BATTERIES! Sure you can remember to switch off the converter breaker...but then when you forget...oops...and remember not to turn on the AC or leave on an electric HWH.

The correct way to do this is to use one or more $50 inverter transfer switches but connect them to the wiring from the breakers that power the duplex outlets in the unit. Generally the converter has its own circuit and breaker so this will automatically power what you want and not power the converter. This does require making changes in the power panel and intercepting the feed to the outlets and many feel this is too "complicated."

It is, however, the right way to do it and is fully automatic.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #26

Bigger wires and more batteries. If draw is high enough the voltage drop is enough to shut inverter down. If you have room for more batteries.
I just use stove when dry camping.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, microwave