Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

Is 15amp shore power enough to trickle charge batteries

Hello all

2021 Sunseeker 2250LE, factory unit throughout with the exception of a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor

When home, plugged into a house 15amp outlet using a 15-30 adapter, with the battery disconnect on (so batteries will charge), the fridge off, nothing else running/on... I'm showing a slight negative draw on the batteries (-2.3a). With the fridge on, -4.3a approx.

Wouldn't it be expected that even a 15amp circuit from home would at least provide enough juice to overcome the parasitic draw and provide some level of trickle charge?

If not then guess I need to run a 30amp circuit
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

It doesn't matter. 15 amp or 30 amp is going to give you the same results. You need to check the output of your converter. It appears as if your converter is not charging the batteries. Connected to shore power (15 amp or 30 amp) you should have over 13 volts DC output from your converter.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #3

Thank you for the info, I hadn't thought of it that way, I see your point now

And TY for your Service
Old 06-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #4

Im not sure a out yours for sure, but I know our parasitic load is no where near 2 amps. If it was we would have issues boondocking more than a night.
Why have your battery disconnect off? On ours that interrupts power from the batteries to the converter . I'm not sure how they would charge with it off.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #5

Correct, with BDS off, the batteries don't charge (unless when solar is in play)

I went out this morning and this is what I see

Batteries currently at 13.10v at 96% charged (Victron app)
Plugged into 15amp shore power

BDS on (refridge on) -3.74a
BDS on (refridge turned off manually) - 0.24a

Yesterday since my batteries were at 86%, I turned off BDS and plugged in my solar for several hours and got them back up to 96% where they are currently at now

What/where is the best place to measure the converter output?

Thanks, Rick
Old 06-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #6
llr

The batteries will only charge when the BDS is set so you can run off of the batteries.

I would measure the voltage at the batteries, this will confirm the BDS is in the correct position.
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
Correct, with BDS off, the batteries don't charge (unless when solar is in play)

I went out this morning and this is what I see

Batteries currently at 13.10v at 96% charged (Victron app)
Plugged into 15amp shore power

BDS on (refridge on) -3.74a
BDS on (refridge turned off manually) - 0.24a

Yesterday since my batteries were at 86%, I turned off BDS and plugged in my solar for several hours and got them back up to 96% where they are currently at now

What/where is the best place to measure the converter output?

Thanks, Rick
0.24 amps is way better for a parasitic load than 2.4! When I measure voltages for troubleshooting, I measure at the converter and at the batteries for voltage, and at the batteries with a DC current meter.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #8

Agree, however I'm plugged into 15amp shore power and I still have a drain...

I'll do some additional checking and be sure to bring it up to the dealer next week when it goes in

Thanks, Rick
Old 06-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #9

15 amp household power is going to give a potential supply of between 1500 and 1800 watts, depending on actual voltage. To have that same kind of power draw on your battery circuit, your batteries would need to be discharging at around 150 amps. Your 15 amp household power should have no problem providing ample power to keep the batteries charged.

With our trailer, I will hook up to a 15 amp household circuit a few days before a trip, and turn the fridge on to get cold. We have the 11 cu. ft. fridge in our trailer, and between charging the battery and running the fridge, the draw is still well below the rating of the household circuit. The air conditioner, on the other hand, is definitely a no-go on anything less than the 30 amp shore power supply.

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Hoomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #10

Disconnect your solar charger. Measure 12v voltage when plugged in. You should see no less than 13.2v. If you see less than 13.2v when plugged in with solar disconnected, your converter is not working. You have to remember that amps changes with voltage. So 15 amps at 120 volts AC will convert to roughly 150 amps at 12 volts DC. That's why I said it didn't really matter if you were plugged into 15 amp shore power or 30 amp shore power - even the 15 amp shore power will provide plenty of 12 volt DC amps to charge the battery.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #11

Sorry but I have to ask the obvious question, are you sure you have 120 volt power to the RV? Does microwave clock display light up? Wouldn't be the first time one has had a bad adapter and/or extension cord when connecting to a 15 amp service. Also, is the 15 amp receptacle a GFCI protected outlet???

Double check all breakers to make sure they are ON, sometimes it's best to switch each off then back on in the event one may have tripped and you didn't notice the switch in it's "almost on" tripped position.

Once you're sure that you have 120 volts to the RV, then I'd pull the front panel off the Power Center/Converter and check for 120 VAC at the converter input and others have said, at least 13 volts at it's output with the battery and solar system disconnected.

If no 13 v while 120 volts in, converter is bad.

I'd also go searching for what's drawing that kind of DC current. Pulling one DC fuse at a time often reveals which circuit. Curious, is your fridge a residential type running off an inverter? The 2 amp draw could well be the idle current for an Inverter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:42 PM   #12

How in the world do I get by in life, I sometimes have to ask myself

2 yellow extension cords in the corner of the garage, 1 for the RV and one for other things.... guess which one wasn't plugged in

Nothing to see here
Old 06-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #13

We all make dumb mistakes. There was a post on here a while back that was, "None of my LED lights work. They all worked at the dealership, but don't at home." I replied back that each light had a button in the center of the dome and they were likely turned off with the individual buttons. The reply I got back was, "There are no buttons on my lights." Reply, "Well I had the exact same year and model trailer and the buttons are there."

Final answer, "ummm....yeah. There are buttons on the lights and sure enough, they were all turned off with the buttons and they all work now!"

It's just part of being human!
Old 06-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #14
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
We all make dumb mistakes. There was a post on here a while back that was, "None of my LED lights work. They all worked at the dealership, but don't at home." I replied back that each light had a button in the center of the dome and they were likely turned off with the individual buttons. The reply I got back was, "There are no buttons on my lights." Reply, "Well I had the exact same year and model trailer and the buttons are there."

Final answer, "ummm....yeah. There are buttons on the lights and sure enough, they were all turned off with the buttons and they all work now!"

It's just part of being human!
Maybe he was just pushing YOUR buttons?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:

2 yellow extension cords in the corner of the garage, 1 for the RV and one for other things.... guess which one wasn't plugged in

Nothing to see here
Gotta love an easy fix though!
Old 06-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #16

Real handy for extension cords

I use these in lots of places to be sure the juice is ON.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8T8679
Old 06-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #17

Quote:

Nothing to see here
Welcome to the "club". There are two kinds of people in the RV world. Those that have made mistakes like this and those who haven't-----'yet.

Glad you let us all know. Your experience will doubtlessly help someone else down the road.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #18

Yes it should. The 12v draws you quote are around 48 watts.

Your 15 amp 120v provides around 1800 watts.

12v amps and 120v amps not equivalent.

Hell, I run my converter and my AC (13500 btu) on a 15amp plug in my driveway without issues (can't turn microwave on when the AC is running).
Old 06-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #19

Thanks everyone, especially the humor... and yes he was "pushing my buttons"... hehe
Old 06-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:

Nothing to see here
Toy4Rick, are you sure your name isn't Doug? Because I could have written that.

Had me laughing out loud, at least. Congrats on finding it and glad it was an easy one!

Tags
batteries, power, shore power