Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Is it ok to winter-store 2-6 volt batteries in an unheated garage?

Is it ok to keep 2-6 volt batteries on a Battery Tender in an unheated garage over the winter in Pennsylvania? My husband always put them in our basement but after 2 knee replacements, he struggles to carry them downstairs. Our 21FBRS is stored on a storage lot without electricity. Will it harm the batteries to store them with the Battery Tender in a cold garage over the winter?
jwalt313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt313 View Post
Is it ok to keep 2-6 volt batteries on a Battery Tender in an unheated garage over the winter in Pennsylvania? My husband always put them in our basement but after 2 knee replacements, he struggles to carry them downstairs. Our 21FBRS is stored on a storage lot without electricity. Will it harm the batteries to store them with the Battery Tender in a cold garage over the winter?
It is preferable to store the batteries in a cool unheated area, as long as they are charged. Batteries stored cold will have less self discharge and will have a longer life. So, yes, it will be better for both your husband knees and for the batteries to store the batteries in the cold garage.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

How are you planning on using the Battery Tender if there is no electricity?

Don't for get to REMOVE all wires from the negative terminal of the batteries.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
How are you planning on using the Battery Tender if there is no electricity?

Don't for get to REMOVE all wires from the negative terminal of the batteries.
From the first post, I read that the RV is stored on a storage lot without electricity. The batteries will be in a garage that has electricity, so there is power for the battery charger.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

thanks I obviously missed that.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

I've posted this before:
Here's a link that has some specifics on cold weather battery status based on tests by the US Army Corp of Engineers.
The document states "Batteries should be stored in a cold place, say, about -15C (+5F), although when charged to a specific gravity of 1.280 or greater, they can be stored at -1C (+30.2F) indefinitely without deteriorating."

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a239115.pdf

If they are fully charged and stored in a cold area, there is no need for a tender.
There is no need to store them sitting on a board rather than concrete. Using a board was needed years ago when battery bodies were made from other products. Modern plastic bodied batteries are not affected by sitting on concrete or any other surface.
Finally, if they are fully charged at this point, there is no reason to remove them from your RV, unless you are worried about someone stealing them. Just disconnect them from ALL loads.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

I, too, have two knee replacements going past 15 years now. I had simultaneous (bilateral) total knee replacements, followed by extensive therapies. Then I started to put them to the test of doing strenuous activities including hand mixing and laying concrete. Sometimes on my knees. DW ratted on me at my next check up. Rather than side with DW, the doctor said, "Use them." I have. Though it is difficult to get up off the ground, I can. It is difficult to climb stairs. I do, always hanging onto a rail. I am not supposed to cross my legs. I do. I have even carried the batteries up and down the stairs, leaning against the rail to maintain balance. But the one thing I have noticed is that it is sometimes difficult to keep balance, especially on a quick twist. Hubby should do just fine.

Yes, I store batteries in our garage. An insulated garage attached to the house will rarely go below freezing even in sub zero temps. An attached garage without insulation will get a few degrees colder than insulated. Similar if it is an unattached garage.

We store our truck in the winter and have a battery tender on it. We remove the negative cable from the terminal post. In the spring, the battery is fully charged. Other batteries stored in the garage are first brought up to a full charge for storage, then again before first use the following season. The only battery we lost over the winter was a riding mower battery and they normally have a shorter life span.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

Another plus is that batteries on float charge, i.e., fully charged, have a freeze point around -50°F.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt313 View Post
No issue. I do store my two 6 volt GC in an unheated basement on a battery tender but as long as you keep them charged they won’t freeze. Just like your car.

But note, these need to be topped off with distilled water from time to time. (BTW, we have the Rockwood 2109s which is the sister to your 21FBRs).

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
Another plus is that batteries on float charge, i.e., fully charged, have a freeze point around 50°F.9
Did you forget the - sign? (-50°F)
If fully charged, properly disconnected and NOT on a tender, they won't freeze above -50°F.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #11

Also make sure that they aren't sitting on the bare concrete - i.e. put some wood underneath them.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

For the record... a fully charged wet cell battery will not freeze if left outside anywhere in the USA or Canada. A 40% discharged battery is still good to -20 degrees.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
Also make sure that they aren't sitting on the bare concrete - i.e. put some wood underneath them.
Not true. That's become an old wives tale.
Modern battery case material (last 50 years) is not affected by sitting directly on concrete.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #14

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did you forget the - sign? (-50°F)
If fully charged, properly disconnected and NOT on a tender, they won't freeze above -50°F.
Yes, I typoed the temperature and I've corrected the original post: -50ºF. I know that a fully charged battery, on float charge or not, will maintain the lower freeze point as long as it is not discharged significantly. The OP asked specifically about unheated garages AND a battery tender (float charge maintainer). Our garage is insulated and semi-heated and we still use cheap battery tenders on our batteries once we have shut down for the season. I'm pretty well schooled on battery chemistries and given the cost, we prefer to maintain the house batteries at their peak for our Spring startup. It's unlikely that leaving a battery in the TT all winter would do much to discharge them, but it's easy to remove them and we have a small roller dolly (so we can easily move them around) and two dirt cheap battery tenders and we'd rather not have our batteries 'borrowed' by another camper who uses our otherwise secure storage facility, particularly since we're eyeing relatively inexpensive LiPO batteries from Costco.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
For years I believed this as being the gospel truth and I always stored batteries on wood. That was true with Edison batteries, but not with newer styles.Guess what, I still store batteries on wood! What can I say?

Why Does Storing a Car Battery on a Concrete Floor Drain It?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Can you please explain the reason for not storing batteries on concrete? Can you cite a modern source for that recommendation?

Seriously, for modern batteries this advice is nonsense and very, very out of date, unless you are still using batteries made with wood cases.

Or, maybe you posted this as a joke and I missed the humor.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/ge...tored-concrete
Old 11-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #17

Wow! KLUZA 2786 guess you just got schooled! lol. Too be honest I thought keeping batteries off cement was still relevant. Good to know. I will still keep my batteries on boards, some one may see I do that and get a laugh out of my silliness.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #18
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not true. That's become an old wives tale.
Modern battery case material (last 50 years) is not affected by sitting directly on concrete.
But it's still a good idea to kick tires, right?
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
But it's still a good idea to kick tires, right?
As long as they are no "China Bombs"

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #20

Thanks everyone. Your knowledge has been so informative and will save my husband from carrying those heavy batteries down the basement stairs.
jwalt313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, winter