Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Is my Wolf Pup wired at 24v !?

We bought a 2020 Wolf Pup 16BHS in January and really love using it! A significant part of why we bought new is the 2020 is wired for USB plugs that always are on using the battery. We boondock a lot and love to charge our devices without powering up the generator. Unfortunately the USB charging ports from the factory have a really loud buzz and don't charge 2 devices at the same time. They are faulty (we already replaced all of them under warranty).

Anyway I want to replace the ports with one of the many off of Amazon and add a 12v port but I measured the voltage and it's pushing 27 volts!!!! Is my camper actually wired for 24 volts or was it wired wrong? The current USB ports are allowed an input of 12v-24v so it looks like this may be the case...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_213433952_HDR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	232253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200623_213451021_HDR.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	232254  
Macchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #2

Nobody except heavy duty marine, aviation, and trucks use 24V. 12V is the RV standard (actually ranges from 10.5 to 14.4V). There is no way you have 24V unless:
  • you have 2 12V batteries mistakenly wired in series instead of parallel. One battery is not going to give you 24V.
  • you have no battery installed, and your converter is really messed up
Neither of the above is likely. It is more likely to have a messed up meter or measuring voltage at the wrong points (AC wire(s) instead of DC wires).

Editing: just occurred to me that your USB ports might be wired into the AC, not DC.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Nobody except heavy duty marine, aviation, and trucks use 24V. 12V is the RV standard (actually ranges from 10.5 to 14.4V). There is no way you have 24V unless:
  • you have 2 12V batteries mistakenly wired in series instead of parallel. One battery is not going to give you 24V.
  • you have no battery installed, and your converter is really messed up
Neither of the above is likely. It is more likely to have a messed up meter or measuring voltage at the wrong points (AC wire(s) instead of DC wires).

Editing: just occurred to me that your USB ports might be wired into the AC, not DC.

Fred W
The trailer is only a few months old and pretty much bone stock. One battery. I haven't messed with anything electrical until I went to install this guy. The USB ports are definitely on the DC lines, the trailer is wired for both AC and DC with DC being powered even when disconnected from shore power. Perhaps it's my meter, I actually just got a new one and this was my first measurement with it! Let me check with my old meter....
Macchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #4

Only one battery couldn't give you 27 volts. I bet you any money it is a bad meter.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #5

27 V

Check w/ a multi-meter. I would bet, bad meter on plug. Unless someone put a 24 v battery on it-rare.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup