Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2024, 06:25 AM   #1

Is this safe?

I installed a Progressive hard wired EMS 30 amp in my old trailer. When I did it, I made sure to fasten it to the trailer with the provided screws.
In this video, the person has it right on top of his fuse box. It seems he could have just unscrewed the wiring from the fuse box, put that in the EMS then get a small section of the same gauge wire and use that from the EMS to the fuse box. Allowing him enough room to mount it properly.

Directions say to mount it.
13) Attach EMS lid with the six black machine screws provided.
14) Mount the EMS control box.
15) Installation is complete. Next, plug in and follow operating instructions
Old 03-07-2024, 07:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
I installed a Progressive hard wired EMS 30 amp in my old trailer. When I did it, I made sure to fasten it to the trailer with the provided screws.
In this video, the person has it right on top of his fuse box. It seems he could have just unscrewed the wiring from the fuse box, put that in the EMS then get a small section of the same gauge wire and use that from the EMS to the fuse box. Allowing him enough room to mount it properly.

Directions say to mount it.
13) Attach EMS lid with the six black machine screws provided.
14) Mount the EMS control box.
15) Installation is complete. Next, plug in and follow operating instructions
I donít think itís the best workmanship Iíve ever seen but I donít know that itís unsafe. No worse than the rest of the rats nest of wires in most trailers
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:17 AM   #3

Good Grief, and he posts a video of the gibberish like it's a reference standard. He went wrong IMO when he didn't 'keep it simple' - the next person who has to work on this will get a good surprise.

Best practice is to secure unit to trailer so the normal motions cannot move it, and to route the shore power to it's input, and it's output thru a new piece of wire to the trailer's shore breaker. GolferMD suggested to me to leave a little room around it for passive cooling. I used a trick I learned for mounting in hard to access places... premount the unit to a board with the new output wire attached, and the screw the assembly into a wall or floor after you attach the shore power to the input. Much easier to mount when lying on your back on the floor
2019 Ford Expedition Max, payload ~ 1700

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:47 AM   #4
Canadian Member

I definitely wouldn’t install it unsecured like that. While it won’t be dangerous immediately it’s going to be moving around in there as you go down the road and could eventually wear at the wires in the 30A cable. He has lots of room between the power centre and the hot air duct to mount it. You could even build a small, simple platform to mount it on to keep it up and away from the heat of that duct.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:26 AM   #5

I would mount it solid to the trailer floor. Seems there is very adequate room to do so. Also, add enough 10ga wire to provide a service loop between the EMS box and the power panel.

And while in there, clean up that mess of wiring.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote