Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2021, 07:22 PM   #1

ISO input on solar generators

I'm new to camping, just got a 2021 Geo Pro 19BH. Me and my family like dispersed and dry camping the most for peace and quiet, so I got a 200W solar suitcase. This weekend I was pleasantly surprised that the combo of the on roof solar panel and the suitcase kept our batteries charged up.

But the plugs and USB outlets don't work without 110 power so I'm looking into solar generators. (My wife doesn't really want a gas or diesel generator bc of the noise, plus she would really like working plugs at night and generators can't be run at night in most dry campsites where we live.)

Has anyone here used a solar generator? They're pricey af but I'm curious what I'd be able to run on a big one, and if I could plug it into the shoreline plug, etc. I'm not sure what the power draw is on plugs, USB's or A/C, I'm so new I don't even know where to look for that. We have a 3-night dry camping trip coming up for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and it would be nice to run the A/C during the day and have some working plugs at night. Thanks, everybody I appreciate any help.
FamilyMan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMan4 View Post
I'm new to camping, just got a 2021 Geo Pro 19BH. Me and my family like dispersed and dry camping the most for peace and quiet, so I got a 200W solar suitcase. This weekend I was pleasantly surprised that the combo of the on roof solar panel and the suitcase kept our batteries charged up.

But the plugs and USB outlets don't work without 110 power so I'm looking into solar generators. (My wife doesn't really want a gas or diesel generator bc of the noise, plus she would really like working plugs at night and generators can't be run at night in most dry campsites where we live.)

Has anyone here used a solar generator? They're pricey af but I'm curious what I'd be able to run on a big one, and if I could plug it into the shoreline plug, etc. I'm not sure what the power draw is on plugs, USB's or A/C, I'm so new I don't even know where to look for that. We have a 3-night dry camping trip coming up for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and it would be nice to run the A/C during the day and have some working plugs at night. Thanks, everybody I appreciate any help.

Congrats and welcome. I picked up mine in May and new to RVing myself.

You can turn on the camper AC inverter and use the outlets but will sap your power quicker; just having it on will consume power. If you have a device than can use DC or AC then you should opt for the former since it's more efficient.

Don't like calling them generators since they're more like useful battery packs in a nice package. They'll be slightly more expensive then trying to build your own Frankenstein unit. You can charge during the day through camper 110V but not sure it will keep up, or you can get additional panel(s) for it. I have a couple different types and typically use for a 12V fan and charging smaller portable batteries, lights and phones.

I wouldn't go crazy with the largest one until you size for your needs. You may be able to charge it with the 200W suitcase if your roof unit is providing sufficient charge for the camper. Just make sure you have correct connectors and polarity.

https://www.jackery.com/

I'd stay away from that goal0 version since I've had bad experiences with failures and awful customer service lately. They're also overpriced.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

Thx redrover that’s helpful, I really appreciate it. I have a lot to learn about this unit. I’ll try the inverter this weekend, see how it works. My wife likes to run a white noise app on her phone when she sleeps so I’m curious what the battery levels will be in the morning if the inverter runs the USB all night.

Do you have a 19BH? Any other off-grid tips or tricks you’ve learned since May?
Old 09-02-2021, 12:18 AM   #4
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Thx redrover that’s helpful, I really appreciate it. I have a lot to learn about this unit. I’ll try the inverter this weekend, see how it works. My wife likes to run a white noise app on her phone when she sleeps so I’m curious what the battery levels will be in the morning if the inverter runs the USB all night.

Do you have a 19BH? Any other off-grid tips or tricks you’ve learned since May?
I really don't think running the white noise would take much power.

Have a 16BH and our USB ports work without shore power except the pop-up receptacle in the kitchen that also has 110V. Your USB should work from battery without the inverter. Noticed some ports power differently (haven't measured) and depends what we plug into them. Higher output items may not work or charge slowly. Probably should check them all to test.

Have six trips so far and haven't run out of battery yet although I've dropped into the 30-something percent range overnight on my flooded batteries. I don't care about their life since I'm seeing what they really can do and so far still holding charges this season. last trip was 6 days but last 4 days were at the beach and used A/C on/off at night since it was humid and hot. Lucked out with shore power. Did turn it on a couple of times during the day after we came back for the day just to cool things down some.

Picked up a 200W suitcase for the previous trip but in a heavily wooded site and little to no sun peeking through. Did try and hit about three spots in the day to test but didn't make a difference. We made it though. We also had rain every trip but lucked out on the last trip except the last day. We'll see what this next trip has in store for us. No hookups at most of the places we've been to.

Water has been the biggest issue for us. Only once did I have to dump about 15 gal. of gray water and fill up with containers I have. This was at the beach and there's no way to avoid that if you're playing in the sand; we're not users of facilities.

Some things we've done to save during 3-4 day stays and some things were already customary from tent camping:

Power
  • Lights are way too bright and turn them off individually and use a couple lanterns at night. Ours goes off when watching movies from my collection off HDD/phone combo.
  • Have a couple fans when needed - one 12V with DC adapter plugged into Jackery battery and another rechargeable/replaceable lithium battery. Like cracking all the windows and hearing the woodland creatures. Still not comfortable leaving only the screen door in place as that would add to the air flow.
  • Keep the 110V AC inverter off and use portable battery to charge phones. A couple people in the family have to charge a lot while I can go a couple days.
  • Don't use any 110V appliances. We do coffee, tea and hot chocolate and boil water with LP stove. I like my French Press and have the time to wait.
  • Use fridge thermometer to find safe temperature setting after it's stabilized in 2-3 hours from max. I then put items in it. Mine is good at just under 5. This is the biggest battery hog. We don't use much in perishables and when we do, consume it first during the trip. Once gone then you can turn it off. We drink room temperature water and only the morning OJ and milk for my coffee. This was a step up from tent camping and drinking black instant coffee...well worth the battery drain for the milk and real coffee.
  • Turn everything off when not in use.
  • Make sure you turn off the outside fridge if you don't use it. I took mine out.
  • Turn off the electric water heater from the outside. I use LP which is quicker and haven't put much of a dent on a tank this season.
Water
  • Bring separate drinking water.
  • Use paper and plastic to minimize dish washing.
  • Use outside griddle to minimize pot/pan washing.
  • Simple menu items that don't need much prep time.
  • Stack dishes, wash in dish pan, dump in a bucket and use water to put out camp fires or flush toilet.
  • Use baby wipes to freshen up instead of showers.
  • Wash hair outside so you don't fill up your gray tank as much. Only did that at beach.
  • Save that one special shower and make it quick...wet, off, lather, rinse, off, dry.
Guess this is a start and sure others have more input.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
I really don't think running the white noise would take much power.

Have a 16BH and our USB ports work without shore power except the pop-up receptacle in the kitchen that also has 110V. Your USB should work from battery without the inverter. Noticed some ports power differently (haven't measured) and depends what we plug into them. Higher output items may not work or charge slowly. Probably should check them all to test.

Have six trips so far and haven't run out of battery yet although I've dropped into the 30-something percent range overnight on my flooded batteries. I don't care about their life since I'm seeing what they really can do and so far still holding charges this season. last trip was 6 days but last 4 days were at the beach and used A/C on/off at night since it was humid and hot. Lucked out with shore power. Did turn it on a couple of times during the day after we came back for the day just to cool things down some.

Picked up a 200W suitcase for the previous trip but in a heavily wooded site and little to no sun peeking through. Did try and hit about three spots in the day to test but didn't make a difference. We made it though. We also had rain every trip but lucked out on the last trip except the last day. We'll see what this next trip has in store for us. No hookups at most of the places we've been to.

Water has been the biggest issue for us. Only once did I have to dump about 15 gal. of gray water and fill up with containers I have. This was at the beach and there's no way to avoid that if you're playing in the sand; we're not users of facilities.

Some things we've done to save during 3-4 day stays and some things were already customary from tent camping:

Power
  • Lights are way too bright and turn them off individually and use a couple lanterns at night. Ours goes off when watching movies from my collection off HDD/phone combo.
  • Have a couple fans when needed - one 12V with DC adapter plugged into Jackery battery and another rechargeable/replaceable lithium battery. Like cracking all the windows and hearing the woodland creatures. Still not comfortable leaving only the screen door in place as that would add to the air flow.
  • Keep the 110V AC inverter off and use portable battery to charge phones. A couple people in the family have to charge a lot while I can go a couple days.
  • Don't use any 110V appliances. We do coffee, tea and hot chocolate and boil water with LP stove. I like my French Press and have the time to wait.
  • Use fridge thermometer to find safe temperature setting after it's stabilized in 2-3 hours from max. I then put items in it. Mine is good at just under 5. This is the biggest battery hog. We don't use much in perishables and when we do, consume it first during the trip. Once gone then you can turn it off. We drink room temperature water and only the morning OJ and milk for my coffee. This was a step up from tent camping and drinking black instant coffee...well worth the battery drain for the milk and real coffee.
  • Turn everything off when not in use.
  • Make sure you turn off the outside fridge if you don't use it. I took mine out.
  • Turn off the electric water heater from the outside. I use LP which is quicker and haven't put much of a dent on a tank this season.
Water
  • Bring separate drinking water.
  • Use paper and plastic to minimize dish washing.
  • Use outside griddle to minimize pot/pan washing.
  • Simple menu items that don't need much prep time.
  • Stack dishes, wash in dish pan, dump in a bucket and use water to put out camp fires or flush toilet.
  • Use baby wipes to freshen up instead of showers.
  • Wash hair outside so you don't fill up your gray tank as much. Only did that at beach.
  • Save that one special shower and make it quick...wet, off, lather, rinse, off, dry.
Guess this is a start and sure others have more input.
I love it, thank you!! Gonna read this carefully with my wife, you’re totally speaking her language.

We have a pop-up receptacle on our 19BH at the head of the bed and it didn’t work at all when we took it out. I remember it working at the KOA when we brought it home so I assumed it was 110 only. Gonna test the inverter tomorrow.

We are doing a 2 night trip with friends this weekend with lots of clouds and rain forecast, so it’ll be a test of the batteries for sure.

Gonna re-read your post!
Old 09-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #6

Lol my wife said “can you save that message?” Thank you redrover!
Old 09-02-2021, 03:08 AM   #7
2012 Solera

For a full power capable, including A/C, solar generator, the Point Zero Titan seems to have excellent capabilities- 3000 watt continuous 6000 watt peak inverter, add batteries in 2000 watt-hour increments, RV 30 amp outlet, etc:
https://www.pointzeroenergy.com/prod...olar-generator

Quite pricey though.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #8

Thank you, JLeising, I appreciate it. Was taking a look at those. It's a big investment, that's for sure.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #9
2012 Solera

Quote:
Thank you, JLeising, I appreciate it. Was taking a look at those. It's a big investment, that's for sure.
Heavy, also. Looks like about 70 pounds for control unit with one battery pack; 35 additional pounds per added battery pack.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #10

12 USB outlets

Here are the first 48 USB outlets from Amazon that can be driven directly off 12 volts when you are camping with no 120 volt power. Find a spot where there is already 12 power and ground (near the power center or possibly near a switch or 12 volt appliance). One of these even includes a nice digital voltmeter which helps you keep an eye on the battery.

If you have Apple power-hog products, make sure the outlet you pick provides more than 1/2 amp or 1 amp.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Heavy, also. Looks like about 70 pounds for control unit with one battery pack; 35 additional pounds per added battery pack.
Yep. Expensive and heavy go hand in hand on these things!
Old 09-03-2021, 12:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Here are the first 48 USB outlets from Amazon that can be driven directly off 12 volts when you are camping with no 120 volt power. Find a spot where there is already 12 power and ground (near the power center or possibly near a switch or 12 volt appliance). One of these even includes a nice digital voltmeter which helps you keep an eye on the battery.

If you have Apple power-hog products, make sure the outlet you pick provides more than 1/2 amp or 1 amp.
Thanks, Larry. One of these days I’ll get good at installing these…
Old 09-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #13

Larry-NC is right. No need for AC outlets to power 5v USB outlets. Trailers are designed for folks who don't boondock. Mine didn't even come with a 12v outlet, so I wired one off of the radio wiring, and we use that to charge devices. If you want 110 for the microwave, you can install an inverter (if yours doesn't already have one) and use the outlets in the trailer. We took out our microwave for more food storage, so the only time we need 110v is when we need A/C.

You already have a solar generator. All they are are dressed up batteries with a bunch of different outlets and a built in inverter. You can buy your own litium batteries and install them in your trailer, and mount solar panels on the roof for a lot less money, but you still won't be able to run your A/C for very long. A 13,500 btu RV air conditioner needs 2750 watts to start and 1250 watts to run.

If you want to run A/C, you're much better off with a $500 3500 watt inverter generator from Costco. When inside the trailer, with the A/C running, you won't even hear it.

You can live without A/C in Albuquerque in October. It cools down very quickly once the sun goes down. If you get hot, take a tram ride or drive up to Sandia Crest. it is always cool up at 10,000 feet.

Hopefully, we'll have a Balloon Fiesta this year. Our governor had NM shut down more than any other state last year, and we didn't fare any better than states that weren't shut down.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:46 PM   #14
Always Learning

I personally don't see the pointwith solar generators. This is little more than some lithium batteries, an inverter, and a solar controller. I had a buddy making these back around the year 2000 but with Lead Acid batteries.

Your RV already has one or more batteries. I'd much rather spend the same amount of money and upgrade my RV's battery bank system and add an inverter than I would be to introduce yet another device that I have to worry about keeping charged.

The only benefit that I see is that this gives you something for use at a stick and brick house and the RV. But if it's just solely for the RV- upgrade your existing setup and don't worry about bringing more pieces into the mix.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:36 AM   #15

X2 what Ependydad said. Your best bet is to ascertain just what you have now and what you want from a battery system. I.e., roughly what loads you want to power and for how long. If you want that 110 outlet above the bed to be hot overnight, that means running an inverter all night with it's attendant no-load losses plus any load on that outlet (a CPAP machine in my own case). With details like this in mind, you can assess whether you have enough battery and how much solar would be needed (could be a panel or two on the roof or a "suitcase" system that you set out during the day). Or a large enough battery to carry you through the dry camping with occasional charging when you are near a power source (or running your generator).
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #16

Quote:

If you want to run A/C during the day you would need a generator large enough to power your A/C. Even if you had enough batteries to run the A/C, which would take a lot even for just a few hours, you would drain your batteries and have no way to recharge at night.
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #17

Think it thru!

Learn the math!

Those battery solar devices are a nifty, convenient battery, inverter and lots of convenient outlets. 3000 watts is a 15 amp(household) ac outlet for about two hours. With a handle on it.

The however is bang for the buck.

These devices cost more than double adding a larger lithium battery and inverter.

For me. Chins 300 ah battery, $1200. $200 inverter. $1100, 2200 watt generator. $300 micro aire starter.

Ac when needed with the generator. Enough battery for two days. All the solar the roof would hold. Unfortunately that means 6-800 watts. 600 watts is about 150 ah. Per day recharge capability. The generator is about 50 ah of battery recharge per hour! It is portable and could save your sticks and bricks fridge some day.

Planning is the key. Education is the answer.

I was shocked at what the big units cost.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, solar