Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Issues with 12v service

We recently installed a new battery and were having slide-out issues. It kept tripping the breakers. There are 3 of them. After replacing all 3, the slide-outs worked great. Today, we noticed the 12V lights were very dim and our battery was completely drained. We were plugged in to 50 amp service. We found a breaker had tripped on the converter/charger, so turned it back on and thought all was good. Came back later and the 12 volt light over the sink wouldn't come on at all. Now we can't get the 12 volt lights to work without having a battery charger on our battery. What the heck is going on?
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Wow! First of all, Welcome to the FRF. Now lets see if we can interpret what your issue(s) is.
Here is what I understand you said: Your unspecified Forest River product has 3 slide outs. You were having problems with them so you replaced the battery. “It” kept tripping breakers. Hmmm Both your slides and battery are 12v so I’m going to assume you meant blowing fuses rather than tripping breakers. So you replaced the fuses and the slides functioned normally. So now I gather that the slides were never the problem. It was, and is, the power source. Now your battery is depleted and you are plugged into shore power. That tell me that your charger is not working. Now there is also no 12V system power. That tells me your converter is not working.
First thing I suggest is to get your new dead battery on a charger and try to save it.
After that, check to see that your 120v appliances are working. If so, I suggest that you focus on your converter. Since you stated that it is a new battey, check the reverse polarity fuses on your converter. If you have a deck mounted converter, they are on the back where the battery cables connect. If you have a built in, they are in the front of your power center.
Please keep us advised.
Ducky
Old 06-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Welcome to the forum. The following link is very important for those new to RV's. New to RV's helpful hints by wmtire
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Wow! First of all, Welcome to the FRF. Now lets see if we can interpret what your issue(s) is.
Here is what I understand you said: Your unspecified Forest River product has 3 slide outs. You were having problems with them so you replaced the battery. “It” kept tripping breakers. Hmmm Both your slides and battery are 12v so I’m going to assume you meant blowing fuses rather than tripping breakers. So you replaced the fuses and the slides functioned normally. So now I gather that the slides were never the problem. It was, and is, the power source. Now your battery is depleted and you are plugged into shore power. That tell me that your charger is not working. Now there is also no 12V system power. That tells me your converter is not working.
First thing I suggest is to get your new dead battery on a charger and try to save it.
After that, check to see that your 120v appliances are working. If so, I suggest that you focus on your converter. Since you stated that it is a new battey, check the reverse polarity fuses on your converter. If you have a deck mounted converter, they are on the back where the battery cables connect. If you have a built in, they are in the front of your power center.
Please keep us advised.
Ducky

Awesome response ducky.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
We recently installed a new battery and were having slide-out issues. It kept tripping the breakers. There are 3 of them. After replacing all 3, the slide-outs worked great. Today, we noticed the 12V lights were very dim and our battery was completely drained. We were plugged in to 50 amp service. We found a breaker had tripped on the converter/charger, so turned it back on and thought all was good. Came back later and the 12 volt light over the sink wouldn't come on at all. Now we can't get the 12 volt lights to work without having a battery charger on our battery. What the heck is going on?
1. On every TT I have owned, the converter will supply 12v power to every 12v device even without a battery present. Since you were connected to shore power, you should have 12v service if the converter is functioning. The stand alone battery charger resolving the problem is another indicator that the problem is with the converter.

2. There are many post and videos on the web detailing how to test a converter. Converters are very easy to swap out just make sure you are not connected to current when you do it.
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:28 PM   #6

I hope the OP figured his issues out during his last four trips around the sun.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote