Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 04:04 PM   #1

It pays to check even if all seems OK

Sitting in the desert enjoying 70 degree, clear sky, days and decided to do a "once over" in my electrical compartment. Batteries were charging at max from converter as I was usingvthe microwave to heat lunch using generator.

As has been my habit for decades I touched each of the connections that were carrying high current (~60amps) and one burned my finger some.

Shut everything down and that wire had a bad crimp on it.

Luckily I had some spare heavy gauge wire from an inverter i bought last year and the 2x#6 wire with factory crimped lugs was perfect. My converter has double lugs for + and - connections so it was simple to connect, lug to bus bar and stripped wire ends to double lugs.

Luckily I caught this before connection got hot enough to oxidize metal and get even hotter.

As I said, pays to check.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:49 PM   #2

Good catch its surprising what you can find when you are not really looking for it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Good catch its surprising what you can find when you are not really looking for it.
Actually that's how I found my late wife. Wasn't looking for a new one and there she was. Married 31 years before she passed.

But I digress.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:12 AM   #4

I have a 17' CC for inshore/backcountry fishing. The trolling motor (TM) pulls a max of 42a per the manufacturer and I had installed a left over 60a CB from the previous TM on the wiring. Lately the TM began kicking the breaker after a short run on full power. Trust me that its no fun fishing the edge of a flat in Florida Bay and to have the TM suddenly stop and you start drifting into too skinny waters for the boat. The fourth or fifth or sixth time, I finally decided to replace the breaker, thinking it was worn out. They do fail, you know.

When the new breaker arrived, it only took 10 minutes or so to remove the old and install the new. What I found as I began to remove the old was that a nut holding one of the ring terminals wasn't even finger tight! Vibration had loosened it over time. This caused excessive heat from a loose fit which caused the breaker (thermal) to trip. Needless to say, it won't happen again (and the new breaker can be manually tripped if needed).
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
TGR

Checking connections to see if any are getting too warm is a great idea. It makes good sense to be proactive.

I check my running gear (tire tread and wheel bearings) with a temperature gun almost every time I stop. I’ll bet using a temperature gun to check the various electrical connection points would be another good routine to establish.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
Checking connections to see if any are getting too warm is a great idea. It makes good sense to be proactive.

I check my running gear (tire tread and wheel bearings) with a temperature gun almost every time I stop. I’ll bet using a temperature gun to check the various electrical connection points would be another good routine to establish.
at my work we check every single electrical panel and connection with a FLIR camera once a year and keep the thermal images for several years. we have found and corrected lots of issues this way.

get yourself a temp gun and check things with that. we have all burned hands and fingers touching things we know we shouldnt!
Old 01-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #7

[QUOTE=TitanMike;2682397]Sitting in the desert enjoying 70 degree, clear sky

Hey...sounds like you made it to Quartzside? Will be heading your way in 2 wks for yuma and some dental work...Enjoy the nice weather and have fun...cya
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
at my work we check every single electrical panel and connection with a FLIR camera once a year and keep the thermal images for several years. we have found and corrected lots of issues this way.

get yourself a temp gun and check things with that. we have all burned hands and fingers touching things we know we shouldnt!
Having had a career as a vibration analyst, tribologist, and infrared analyst I totally agree with your assessment. However, all users of the new temp guns must remember a basic rule. Your gun will see a ratio of the distance from the target to the area of the target. A decent home use gun has a 16:1 ratio. Meaning at a distance of 16 inches your target area is 1 inch in diameter so your gun will read an average temperature of this area. You can't stand 8 feet from the target and expect to get any accuracy of temperature.

The biggest use I see for camper enthusiasts is periodically checking the temperature of the wheel bearings. All the bearing temperatures should be comparable. A hot bearing will stand out as will hot brakes.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post

Another tried and true method of checking electrical connections is to use a multimeter.

Place one lead terminal wire connector and other on stud it's fastened to while under load. Ideally it will read zero volts or just a few millivolts if load is large.

If checking crimps check from wire conductor where it enters crimp connector to body of connector. Again, ideal reading is zero.

Temp guns require some time for connection to heat. Measuring voltage drop is NOW.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:55 PM   #10
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
Having had a career as a vibration analyst, tribologist, and infrared analyst I totally agree with your assessment. However, all users of the new temp guns must remember a basic rule. Your gun will see a ratio of the distance from the target to the area of the target. A decent home use gun has a 16:1 ratio. Meaning at a distance of 16 inches your target area is 1 inch in diameter so your gun will read an average temperature of this area. You can't stand 8 feet from the target and expect to get any accuracy of temperature.

The biggest use I see for camper enthusiasts is periodically checking the temperature of the wheel bearings. All the bearing temperatures should be comparable. A hot bearing will stand out as will hot brakes.
I have an IR gun and use it frequently when we're traveling. I have wondered, though, how or if it would detect a hot bearing. The bearings are in the center of the hub and are covered by the metal "dome" that goes through the hole in the center of the wheel. I shoot the hubs, just looking for temp difference around the trailer. I found one once, but assumed that it was a dragging brake shoe. Can you actually tell if a bearing is running hot from the outside?

Tags
check