Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #41

Shutterbug,

Did you install the fans as intake or exhaust? Obviously if intake they will themselves be cooler, but with the apparent intake filter, you must have installed them as exhaust. Why?

Is 220 cfm (2x110) enough?

BTW, it took some time ^ calls, but here are the fans on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Cooling-F...QAAOSwwo1XfZ-L
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #42

I like it, very creative, nice job.
Vimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #43

Just bought our first TT. Now what generator do we buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25FKS View Post
Shutterbug,

Did you install the fans as intake or exhaust? Obviously if intake they will themselves be cooler, but with the apparent intake filter, you must have installed them as exhaust. Why?

Is 220 cfm (2x110) enough?

BTW, it took some time ^ calls, but here are the fans on EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Cooling-F...QAAOSwwo1XfZ-L

They are intake.
Bottom of box is beveled at the void for the fans to get air. Opposite side is the exhaust vent.

Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #44

Thanks, I just noticed your base bevel. What made me think they were exhaust was the actual exhaust has material over the exit. What and how thick is that material?

How much clearance did you allow between inside of wall material and generator?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #45

Champion Genie

We brought a 3100W Inverter Champion Generator $999.00 in Costco. Runs the whole trailer including Air Conditioner and I would say its as quiet as a honda if not quieter. And I'm pretty sure the generator is lighter than a honda. Personnally I wouldn't spend the money on a honda.
Windmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmoor View Post
We brought a 3100W Inverter Champion Generator $999.00 in Costco. Runs the whole trailer including Air Conditioner and I would say its as quiet as a honda if not quieter. And I'm pretty sure the generator is lighter than a honda. Personnally I wouldn't spend the money on a honda.
Windmoor, your Champion 3100W has a running watt rating of 2800, which is only 23.3 Amps continuous. If you have a 30 Amp trailer you will just need to monitor what is turned on and when. It will be fine as long as you don't try to run the AC and microwave, or electric skillet, or toaster at the same time. Some of the newer AC units don't pull many Amps, so that helps also.
I like Hondas, just can't justify the cost for no more than we dry camp.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
If you look at the OP's other posts, you will note that they are towing a newly purchased 5800 lb. 2013 Coleman Dutchman with a 2007 Ford F-150 w/4.6 V8 and plan on full-timing for a year... Therefore, IMO, every pound counts...

A couple months ago I bought (2) WEN 56200i 2000-Watt for $379 each. They are quiet, small, and I can carry one in each hand. The engines are an exact clone of the Yahamas, probably made in the same Chinese shop to the same specs, so IMO a great bang/buck in this price-range.

For home/shop use we have a generator like the Champion 3500 & it's hard for me to load into the PU by myself. It also guzzles more gas so you have to factor in more fuel space/weight/costs...
We have the Yamaha, do you think you could purchase this model as a second generator and use parallel cable to run AC?
Mamacast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #48

If price is not an object---then a Honda....if it is and you just want basic power I would recommend this----A Ryobi 2200 W from Home Depot....Ryobi 2,200-Watt Green Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2200 - The Home Depot
rroget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroget View Post
If price is not an object---then a Honda....if it is and you just want basic power I would recommend this----A Ryobi 2200 W from Home Depot....Ryobi 2,200-Watt Green Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2200 - The Home Depot
My question was whether or not you can connect two different makes of generators together.
Mamacast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacast View Post
My question was whether or not you can connect two different makes of generators together.
NO!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacast View Post
I was responding to the original poster....sorry. Nope----I wouldn't try to connect different brands.....
rroget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #52

When my air (15K unit) is running, the input current is over 24 amps! The only generator acceptable for me is something that has a minimum 3400 full time running watts (28.33amps available). The champion 4000s meet that requirement. Hondas and others don't unless one gets the champion equivalent at a much higher weight and 5-7 times the price. No way Hondas can justify that price level - my opinion.

I made my TT 100% fully off-grid capable. When I get the time, I will post a rather lengthy summary of the mods and what I went through with FR and the dealer - not now, but it isn't good. The dealer ..... FR ended up OK.

I may have to post the full article elsewhere with a URL link to it due to it's probable size
Old 07-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #53

We have two Lifan 2600 watt inverter gerators we can tie together if we need the air conditioner. We have two batteries which has come in handy. You can dry camp longer without charging and we had one go bad but we just disconnected it and still had power until we could replace the bad one. We installed a metal box over the batteries on the front aframe of the trailer to carry our generators. Enjoy camping.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroget View Post
x2, I picked up one at HD, then found the second for $399 on EBay. Still in the box, all paperwork, as new. I then found the Ariens parallel cable for $100 and have 3600 running watts. Ryobi doesn't make their parallel cable anymore (or didn't at that time) but on their website it said compatible with Ariens generators...so it works just fine on Ryobis. That is 30.0 Amps available with some buffer during start up. I have 30 amps for just at $1100, about what one Honda Companion sells for most of the time.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #55

Generators

We bought a set of Honda 2000 ie and it companion. we hook them both together to create 4000 amp. it ran our Outback 29' bumper pull trailer just fine when we were set up with not ship to shore line. I carried them with us as backup because some places had storms that knocked out the camp electric supply.. we took two medium dog kennels and made hole in the back for the electric cord to hook them together and to run the trailer cord through. we put the exhaust to the kennel doors so the units could breath but not get wet in the rain.. I ran a steel cable thro the handles and locked it to our camper. one person took the design one step farther and put a motion detector inside the kennel so if some one tried to pick it up the alarm would sound nice and loud. Our gennies worked just fine with our 30 trailer and with our 30 RV.
Attached Images

LadySnowBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #56

I must admit I'm impressed with all the different ideas for enclosures. Just seems like a lot of trouble to build and haul around. Our 2 Hondas are 10 years old and we have used them in rain, hail, snow, and dust storms. I do put them on a small wooden pallet to keep them out of the mud and dust. In prolonged bad weather I might put them under the fifth wheel overhang. Just don't see the need for enclosures.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I must admit I'm impressed with all the different ideas for enclosures. Just seems like a lot of trouble to build and haul around. Our 2 Hondas are 10 years old and we have used them in rain, hail, snow, and dust storms. I do put them on a small wooden pallet to keep them out of the mud and dust. In prolonged bad weather I might put them under the fifth wheel overhang. Just don't see the need for enclosures.

My enclosure is not for weather.
It gives me the quiet run noise of the Honda. With my $300 generator.
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
My enclosure is not for weather.
It gives me the quiet run noise of the Honda. With my $300 generator.
I understand that. But the enclosure probably weighs more than my Honda and takes up more room when transporting. I'm glad your system works for you, I'll stick with my Hondas and if they ever wear out I will buy Honda again. Happy camping!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #59
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Forgeta bout it

Quote:
Originally Posted by miagigirl View Post
We just bought our first TT. What gender should we buy and why? Also when looking a campgrounds, they say 30 or 50 amp. What the heck does that mean?
Based on your comments, it appears you may be a newbie to the RV world. I would recommend that you forget about a generator for now. First take advantage of campgrounds like state parks that offer electric and water. Also, enjoy a few KOA and GoodSam campgrounds where you will get Elect, Water and Sewer. During those trips you can get comfortable with the features and benefits of your new TT.

Then...if you decide you want to venture into Dry Camping which means just dropping anchor somewhere in the desert or mountains with now hookups to electric or water or perhaps signing up to stay in a parking lot at a sports event or NASCAR race, then you can consider one of the generator recommendations from others here.

I have a Champion 3100 inverter which I highly recommend for its great price/performance/customer service ratings. However, consider I rarely ever need it and most of the time I just leave it at home in the garage. Most of your campsites will likely have hookups and you wont need the genny.

Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #60

Honda 2000ie

I have the pair of Honda 2000ie's. They can be run in parallel to give a full 30A. The second Honda in the pair has a 30A RV receptacle. They should be started monthly and stored with a non-ethanol fuel such as Tru-Fuel. I let mine set up for 4 months with normal fuel and I had to take them in for service to have the carbs cleaned. You can run them with normal fuel, they just need to be stored with Tru-Fuel.

Another trick - When starting them. Turn on the switch, set the Choke on, pull the cord slowly for 5 or 6 times. Then pull hard. It will start every time. After they warm up a little, turn the choke off. The slow pulls prime the fuel pump.

Regards, Jerry
jerrywp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator