Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Kenwood KDC-205

What is the normal standby mAmp draw for this radio?
My batteries go dead very fast and this is the circuit drawing a high draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #2

Hey...if you want an EXACT number, you'll have to call Kenwood customer service since it is not specified in the manual.
In GENERAL ...total parasitic load from standard radio memory circuits should be in the
.030 or 30 milliamp range or less. That works out to be about 1 amp a month. Even at a draw 10 times higher...it is only 9 amps a month. Not enough to drain a battery.

That load should be from the YELLOW wire on your unit which you can check with a clamp ammeter. There should be ZERO current on the RED power wire.
If you are measuring anyplace else ...you are NOT just measuring the radio. You can narrow things down a bit by pulling the radio fuse in the coach and measuring amp draw at the battery...that will show you the draw from all other sources, but NOT any other sources that share the fuse with the radio.
Hope this helps!

EDIT: If the radio can be turned on with the keys out of the unit...it probably means the radio has a direct connection to the battery and you could be draining a LOT of power daily. The red wire on the radio MUST have no current on it hen the keys are out. It should be wired AFTER the ignition switch and only be on when that switch is closed.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

Thank You for the info.
I thought when the radio was in standby it was off, wrong.
Noted in the owners manual I found O/L. In standby it was drawing 400-500 mAmps. Off it only draws very little but I miss the clock function turning off in the off position. I guess I will just have to turn it on/off when I turn on the refrig. prior to trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote