Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Leaving Class C connected to shore power?

We just got a new FR Sunseeker Class C, and one of the techs told me not to leave the vehicle plugged in when parked in my shop because the batteries would overcharge and boil over. Seems like technology should have advanced far enough in these things to have auto cutoff switch(s?) on the charging circuit so this would not happen. Anyone know? TIA Bill
RedmondBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

Mine is plugged in from April - October with nary a problem.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #3

I leave mine plugged in at home all the time. battery is always full charge and haven't added much water, but I do check to make sure there is plenty of water on a bye monthly check
Old 08-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

BTW welcome to the forum and happy trails to you
Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #5

If you leave it plugged in, just keep a light or two on inside. The light will draw from the battery while being plugged in charges. This equals no boil over.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedmondBill View Post
We just got a new FR Sunseeker Class C, and one of the techs told me not to leave the vehicle plugged in when parked in my shop because the batteries would overcharge and boil over. Seems like technology should have advanced far enough in these things to have auto cutoff switch(s?) on the charging circuit so this would not happen. Anyone know? TIA Bill
Technology has and if your camper is a new one most likely there is one installed. Modern converters (chargers) are multi stage and, if operating properly, will not over charge. Don't you have the documents for the converter that you have?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Technology has and if your camper is a new one most likely there is one installed. Modern converters (chargers) are multi stage and, if operating properly, will not over charge. Don't you have the documents for the converter that you have?
Three stage to be exact.
1) bulk charge14.4 volts
2) absorbtion charge 13.6 v
3) float charge 13.2 v

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

...and if you are really lucky...a 4th stage called equalization...either manual or timed...to keep the battery from sulfating.

That said....I agree with your mechanic. Batteries don't NEED to be left on a charger full time and only bad things can happen if something goes wrong with the charger or a cell in the batteries. Suggest:
1. Fully charge the battery to 100%
2. Buy a battery cut off switch at wal mart and use it on your negative battery terminal.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...ingMethod=p13n
Don't plug the coach in...just turn the switch off. Do this on both chassis and house battery.
3. Come back as long as 2 months later and recharge the batteries from the passive loss that will occur (20-30% typical) ...This will FULLY exercise the batteries as you should go through all 3 stages of charging. Check the water....distilled only.

Rinse and repeat.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, power