Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

LED ceiling light replacement

We have a CC silverback 5th wheel and due to our current LED issues where we have had many burnt out. Jeff at FR sent us a box of new LED lights to replace each LED light fixtures.

we have the circular dome type fixture with a smallish square circuit board connected (soldered) to 2 black wires, which then connect to 2 larger wires inside the ceiling.

one black wire is connected to a white wire capped with a plastic topping, and the other black wire is connected to a blue wire capped with a plastic topping.

I googled how to replace the fixtures but it seems, the type fixture I have is not used much I guess or just not shown on youtube .

Does anyone have any experience replacing this type fixture. also do I need to shut off any power? was about to grab the wires and then I thought hmmm haha, would turning off the light at the main switch in the kitchen do it?

thanks for any advice or pics if you have them.

bill
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #2

I changed several in my Silverback. I did not see any polarity on the board so I cut the small black wires and reinstalled with wire nuts. They have been working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Andy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #3

did you cut the plastic tips on the white & blue wire? Im wondering if I just need to cut those off and then re-wire the black wires and to where I cut them and cap it?

thanks.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #4

I looked at the existing crimped connect but to make the best new connection I cut the small black. Connected the existing small black and the new lamp black using small blue wire nut sized at 2 #22 min size and 3 #16 max wire sizing. Then I taped over the wire nut and wires for an extra measure of safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Andy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

Ok thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #6

Use crimp connectors, not wire nuts and use the proper crimp tool to crimp them. Even the factory crimped the wires. You could start a fire with 12 volts.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #7

Thanks again will go over home depot see what they have.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

I replaced all of my regular bulbs the LED's from this place M4 Products

They have warm white and daylight bulbs
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #9

Why are you replacing the whole fixture just replace the bulbs, did all of mine in my silverback for almost nothing compared to all the other retail locations just go here and order direct from the plant (LED light bulb, LED light bulbs for home use and cars) you get the bulbs in a few days and I have NEVER had a bad bulb or have one burn out in 5 years. And I use my coach 6 months a years every weekend. So stop beating yourselves up folks do it the easy a cheap way first, not the hard expensive way.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
We have a CC silverback 5th wheel and due to our current LED issues where we have had many burnt out. Jeff at FR sent us a box of new LED lights to replace each LED light fixtures.

we have the circular dome type fixture with a smallish square circuit board connected (soldered) to 2 black wires, which then connect to 2 larger wires inside the ceiling.

one black wire is connected to a white wire capped with a plastic topping, and the other black wire is connected to a blue wire capped with a plastic topping.

I googled how to replace the fixtures but it seems, the type fixture I have is not used much I guess or just not shown on youtube .

Does anyone have any experience replacing this type fixture. also do I need to shut off any power? was about to grab the wires and then I thought hmmm haha, would turning off the light at the main switch in the kitchen do it?

thanks for any advice or pics if you have them.

bill
Hi replaced one in my 2015 v lite that is recessed in the ceiling. I had dealer order new light fixture from FR. I removed the 3 small screws that holds the fixture to the ceiling. Then pull down on the fixture. Watch out for the spring loaded brackets on the side of the light fixture as you pull it out of the ceiling. If not careful you will find out how the mouse feels when the spring gets you. With that said I had the lights off to the fixture I was removing no power. Cut the 2 Leeds after the crimped wire nuts close to the light fixture. Striped the wires back and wire nutted the wires together made sure polarity was right and the light came on. Put back in ceiling very carefully two days later my finger stopped hurting. very good rup goldberg.

hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #11

FR sent me the whole thing, circuit board and light dome for every light in my silverback. as I have had problems with lights going out (several so far), so FR said go ahead and replace all of them and sent fixture replacements.

have never stripped wires before so wanted to make sure I do it right and not start a fire later on when we're not in the 5th wheel.

thanks,

bill

Tags
led, light, replacement