RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,369
LED tail lights and clearance lights?

We were hot on the trail of a new trailer but have decided to keep what we
have for another year at least. (Maybe longer!)
I've been thinking about brighter tail lights.
Last trip I found one not working and upon close inspection I found the
tail light lens covers don't keep out much water.
They were both rusty inside and full of road grime.
I washed them out and cleaned them up and got them working but they
aren't very bright. I checked voltage and they both only have about 11 volts
when the truck is not running.
I'm sure the voltage is higher than that when the truck IS running so I'm not gonna
re-wire the trailer to boost the voltage!!

I am looking for LED replacement bulbs tho.
If you've replaced your tail lights and or running lights with LED I'd love
to know where you got them and possibly part numbers if you have them.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 20,159
There was a thread here in the last 2 weeks, but I'm plum not finding it now. Someone out LED running lights down the side of their trailer. I asked about the DOT regs and the person replied.

Sorry, wish I could help more.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
LKicklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHATSWORTH, GA.
Posts: 1,121
Led's bulbs

Just purchased everything I needed for all the exterior running light, they are six led per bulb, tail/brake lights and all 32 interior light bulbs that have 24 led per bulb, takes two bulbs per light..Think all total I have like thirty bucks invested...really look nice..also, my running lights are not sealed against water either...should have some kind of seals, you're right..



Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We were hot on the trail of a new trailer but have decided to keep what we
have for another year at least. (Maybe longer!)
I've been thinking about brighter tail lights.
Last trip I found one not working and upon close inspection I found the
tail light lens covers don't keep out much water.
They were both rusty inside and full of road grime.
I washed them out and cleaned them up and got them working but they
aren't very bright. I checked voltage and they both only have about 11 volts
when the truck is not running.
I'm sure the voltage is higher than that when the truck IS running so I'm not gonna
re-wire the trailer to boost the voltage!!

I am looking for LED replacement bulbs tho.
If you've replaced your tail lights and or running lights with LED I'd love
to know where you got them and possibly part numbers if you have them.
Attached Images
 
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
RV Newbie
 
buzzards27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 292
I bought from Anythingtruck.com and have no complaints so far, about a year Bought new 2" round led lites and gaskets, but they should have what you need.

I think they're brighter. The old gaskets were a little leaky, were not caulked or sealed and actually had a bit of play, FR may have cut the holes a little big.
__________________
2005 FR Lexington 210 6.0L 8500 miles
2007 2500 Silverado Ext. Cab, 6.5' bed 5.7L
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Just purchased everything I needed for all the exterior running light, .
Where did you get them??
Do you have part #s?
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
daydreaming about camping
 
jeeplj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KC area
Posts: 1,402
here is the problem with just replacing with LED bulbs, the individual bulb MAY be brighter than the 1157/56 incandescent bulb you are replacing, but you still have the incredibly inefficient light housing and reflector.

I wanted the actual fixture to be not only bright but reflective.

here is what I did:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...now-35964.html

The link in the first post will take you to the tail lights, and there is a link to the actual units I purchased.

Hands down best upgrade so far.
__________________

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,305
The other Guy will see these! Come on over to the (Tadpole Rally South) and I will give you the details. Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	25927  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
LKicklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHATSWORTH, GA.
Posts: 1,121
Housing

You are right about that, certainly the case with HID's..you get a lot more light, but where does it all go...Changing out the entire assembly is the way to go..they do make some LED bulbs that do spread the light out evenly...a flat pancake bulb with 24 leds on one side..those work pretty well..the 194 type bulb also works well if you can get like nine leds in one bulb...that is pretty bright..
kick




Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
here is the problem with just replacing with LED bulbs, the individual bulb MAY be brighter than the 1157/56 incandescent bulb you are replacing, but you still have the incredibly inefficient light housing and reflector.

I wanted the actual fixture to be not only bright but reflective.

here is what I did:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...now-35964.html

The link in the first post will take you to the tail lights, and there is a link to the actual units I purchased.

Hands down best upgrade so far.
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Just purchased everything I needed for all the exterior running light, they are six led per bulb, tail/brake lights and all 32 interior light bulbs that have 24 led per bulb, takes two bulbs per light..Think all total I have like thirty bucks invested...really look nice..also, my running lights are not sealed against water either...should have some kind of seals, you're right..

Where did you find all that for that price?
Horns07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Just purchased everything I needed for all the exterior running light, they are six led per bulb, tail/brake lights and all 32 interior light bulbs that have 24 led per bulb, takes two bulbs per light..Think all total I have like thirty bucks invested...t..
I'm not trying to "call you out" but $30?!?!?
It's easy to exaggerate when yer just jawing over the camp fire but I'm
in the market and really wanna know....
If you replaced all the lights you say for under $75-$100 I REALLY want
to know where you got them and part numbers!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
LKicklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHATSWORTH, GA.
Posts: 1,121
Led's bulbs

Went on Ebay and bid for most everything...the interior LED bulbs were $12.00 for twenty bulbs...the Brake Light Bulbs were $8.99, free shipping on both...the exterior running light LED bulbs were $10.00 for ten, also free shipping..You can find some great buys on Ebay if you are willing bid and wait..Just purhcased a $60.00 bathroom faucet for $12.00, brand new still in the box...Check it out..these are the interior bulbs...





Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I'm not trying to "call you out" but $30?!?!?
It's easy to exaggerate when yer just jawing over the camp fire but I'm
in the market and really wanna know....
If you replaced all the lights you say for under $75-$100 I REALLY want
to know where you got them and part numbers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED BULBS.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	25965  
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,573
My tail/brake lights have begun leaking because the snap-on lenses are just not tight across the top. This admits rain water, and it blows out the bulbs when they get hot. I temporatily fixed this with strips of white electrical tape across the top on the lens.

I assume an LED bulb would not have the same reaction to water. Does anyone know where I could find an LED brake/tail light for the Surveyor 186? I can't use the bulbs that are pushed in and turned. My bulbs have the flat base that just snaps straight in to the socket.

Thanks
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
RV Newbie
 
buzzards27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Went on Ebay and bid for most everything...the interior LED bulbs were $12.00 for twenty bulbs...the Brake Light Bulbs were $8.99, free shipping on both...the exterior running light LED bulbs were $10.00 for ten, also free shipping..You can find some great buys on Ebay if you are willing bid and wait..Just purhcased a $60.00 bathroom faucet for $12.00, brand new still in the box...Check it out..these are the interior bulbs...
Maybe you can dig up the sellers' ebay name(s) so we can find similar deals....
__________________
2005 FR Lexington 210 6.0L 8500 miles
2007 2500 Silverado Ext. Cab, 6.5' bed 5.7L
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Went on Ebay and bid for most everything
What key words did you search for and/or what is the seller's ID?
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
LKicklight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHATSWORTH, GA.
Posts: 1,121
Electrical Grease

Around the base of the bulb, I put a good amount of electrical grease..I do mean a good amount..that seems to protect the bulb base, same on the 194 type push bulbs for running lights..



Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My tail/brake lights have begun leaking because the snap-on lenses are just not tight across the top. This admits rain water, and it blows out the bulbs when they get hot. I temporatily fixed this with strips of white electrical tape across the top on the lens.

I assume an LED bulb would not have the same reaction to water. Does anyone know where I could find an LED brake/tail light for the Surveyor 186? I can't use the bulbs that are pushed in and turned. My bulbs have the flat base that just snaps straight in to the socket.

Thanks
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.