Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

LEDs and USBs

What is the direct LED replacement for our 12V 921 bulbs? I've read on the message board something about the LED replacements only being good to 12V but our units actually put out slightly more voltage so they can blow the replacements if you don't get a stronger bulb. Can anyone clarify which bulb I can buy to just plug in and forget?

On our unit there are the recliners where many folks have the couch. Unfortunately, there is no 120V receptacle over in that area, I'd like to add one in that area either above under the wall cabinets or on one of the slide-out walls. Has anyone done this? If so, can you tell me where you cut the hole for the self-contained receptacle, where you got the 120V power from, etc.?

I'd really like to put in a self-contained receptacle that has a built in USB charger but have not found one online anywhere. Has anyone come across one that has a USB and/or micro-USB port with the regular self-contained duplex receptacle?

Thanks!

Newly Retired!!!!
Atlanta Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

You will also want to consider how many lumens your bulb will produce. A standard 921 has about 264 lumens. the led below operates at 9-14.4 volts and has 260 lumens. but they cost more. most direct replacements that are cheaper produce less light. you can also just get LED panels and bare wire with a 921 base, depending on the fixture they are going in.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-car/1563/

Cross Reference
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...,921T5,21,202:
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

921s are used in automotive applications, where they have the same range of voltages. A car parts store will have 921 LEDs with suitable driver boards, or much cheaper on Amazon. If looking on Amazon, look for LED bulbs intended for use in cars/trucks. That's what I did with all the external bulbs on my 2014 Rockwood A-frame, and had no problems (the 2019 that I just purchased comes with LEDs external and internal).

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

For the USB charger you'll need to cut in what is called an 'old work' electrical box and run the appropriate romex wire to it.

Duplex outlets with USB ports are plentiful. Any big box store or hardware store have several styles. The internet has hunderds.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led