Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Legacy 38C voltage/battery issues help! Evacuating asap

Hey guys so unfortunately I am going camping due to hurricane florance coming my way

Picked up RV from storage tonight after about 3 weeks in my car port and it started flawless. Turning headlights on, AC and let her air up. While standing out side I saw the LED strips under the headlights dim out.
Got into the RV, dash V gauge was reading 14V so figured I’m good. Drove 20-30 mins home and noticed the light did the same thing 4-7 times and also the AC would stop and it would go back normal after about 2-3 seconds every time.

I did not turn on my house battery’s tho I left them off at this time. Would this possibly cause any issues like this?

Coach battery’s were at like 8.8v and House was 13.8V

I have the RV plugged in now at my house which I assume will change every thing

Don’t want to die when leaving town for the storm so any and all help is greatly appreciated
•All pulled by 15' Gmc 2500HD duramax
Ozziedodge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #2

As far as I know, house batteries should be completely separate. Just a wild guess, but it sounds like you have a bad alternator. Battery voltage dropping while driving, but not charging up...
boxman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #3

What I was thinking just hard to believe that on a new coach especially with a Cummins
Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #4

Not sure why you are at 8.8v as that would be a problem. I am in agreement that it is likely an alternator. I did have an issue on my wife's car where things would flash while driving and at one point the engine sputtered when it was bad enough. Ended up being a lose battery cable when I had it replaced a month earlier. Check that your leads are tight. It's free and easy! If that's not it then have the alternator tested. Not as easy but free to check as well.

Best of luck and stay safe!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #5

Not so hard to believe. The engine alternator is going to have to work the hardest and produce the greatest output after a coach has been sitting if not plugged into AC power to keep house and chassis batteries charged due to self-discharge. The alternator should charge all the batteries if there is a decent charge controller between the chassis and coach. I generally consider house and coach batteries the same batteries. Chassis batteries are usually for the engine and cab electrical systems to include exterior identification lighting. The charge controller between the coach and chassis batteries has nothing to do with the house/coach battery disconnect switch with late model charge controllers. Yes, everything should charge when plugged in, even with battery disconnect switched off. Usually the battery disconnects only disconnect the 12V fuse section of the converter. Unfortunately, the engine brand, has nothing to with the charging system installed on the engine. The first thing I would check is the alternator belt. Maybe a critter chewed it up when in storage. Then again, if the batteries discharged during storage, the alternator might have failed due to initial high output of charging a bunch of low batteries to include identification lights and air conditioners. Initially the alternator was likely outputting full current for some time. Maybe the alternator belt was just loose and the high load damaged the belt causing it to slip and burn. I suppose running the gas or diesel generator will allow the converter to supply current to the chassis battery though the charge controller if getting out of town is important to power the engine and lights with a bad alternator.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #6

Update

So I checked the battery’s under full load. Headlight on, AC on , radio etc and tested the battery’s

12.96v not running and 14.10 when running

Everything seems ok ?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Check your battery water level. Use only distilled water to refill if needed.

Hope This Is Help Full Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozziedodge67 View Post
Update

So I checked the battery’s under full load. Headlight on, AC on , radio etc and tested the battery’s

12.96v not running and 14.10 when running

Everything seems ok ?
those numbers are good. I suspect your ultra low coach batteries were causing issues with the LED controller. Remember batteries are like tanks of water, when connected together they will equalize, then the charging will take over and bring them all up together.

Oh and best of luck with the upcoming storm, hope your sticks and bricks survives.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #9

I had a similar issue where the alternator was cutting in and out. The problem was a corroded ground wire. Check the ground wire from the chassis battery. It should connect to the engine and the frame. Clean the connections if they look corroded.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, voltage