Originally Posted by corn18
I like that plan. The current WFCO is about 12 ft from the batteries. Since I am ordering a chassis mount anyway, I was thinking of putting the Li C/C up in the front storage compartment where the batteries are. I can easily run a 110V romex line up to where the current C/C plugs in. Just unplug the WFCO and leave it where it is. How's that sound?
I thought I could "easily" run 120v power to the front compartment where my batteries, switches, and solar controller is mounted.
The "easily" part, at least in my case, wasn't exactly easy. Rather than run romex I ran some "Liquid Tite" Non Metallic conduit down into the belly area and then up into the forward compartment. I used existing wiring holes (thanks to the factory installer making nice large holes). That part was relatively easy but since there were at least two 90 degree "sweeps" and three smaller radius 90's both running the fish tale and three #12 awg wires was a bit of a struggle.
My PD9060 ALV converter now sits on a fabricated bracket above my two Battleborn batteries, hanging from the drawer frame at the top of the compartment. Wire connecting the converter to the 12 volt power bus bars is about 12" of #4 awg welding cable. Bus bars are connected to the batteires with approximately 2 feet of 2/0 awg welding cable. Voltage drop in the new setup isn't enough to even bother calculating.
Mounting a deck mount converter as close to the batteries is in my book the only way to go. Multi-Stage chargers for Lead Acid batteries will function as designed without voltage drop in long wires interfering. LiFePo4 batteries will charge in the absolute minimum amount of time possible, limited only to the size of the converter/charger.
When finished and power turned on my Battery Monitor showed almost 58 amp flowing into my two Battleborn 100 ah batteries from my 60 amp Converter. The remaining 2 amps were being consumed by lights, and the usual 12 volt parasitic draws.
Batteries went from 82% SOC to 100% SOC in just over 30 minutes. For Lead Acid it would have taken more like 2 hours +